Notices

no one will believe this

Old 10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

no one will believe this

OK, I will try to make this short. My husband has a back injury that he takes Vicodin for. Our family Dr. is very generous with it and says that as long as you don't abuse it, he has no problem with prescribing it. My husband does not abuse it, but I do. I steal them from him and I am the last person he would expect to do it. Anyways, my husband works out of the country about 6 months out of the year. (he is gone right now). I ran out of my own supply two days ago and called our Dr. and made up a story about how I needed to send him more Vicodin for his back. I just got my mail and.....omg.....there was an envelope from the Dr. with a prescription in it for 100 Vicodin and 5 refills. No ****. I almost fell off the bed. And of all the days.....TODAY, I got on this website trying to find help and joined TODAY, and this happens. It is almost like a sick joke. I venture towards recovery and then it becomes available to me like something out of a dream!!!! WTF?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coming out of my shell

Shred the Rx. Keep coming towards recovery because vicodin aren't what dreams are made of. Be strong, you CAN do it.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

When you say "it becomes available to me like something out of a dream!!!!", what's the "it" you're referring to? Is "it" the Vicodin scripts or is "it" the possibility of recovery?

Just a bit confused...
Old 10-18-2005, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paralysisofwill
OK, I will try to make this short. My husband has a back injury that he takes Vicodin for. Our family Dr. is very generous with it and says that as long as you don't abuse it, he has no problem with prescribing it. My husband does not abuse it, but I do. I steal them from him and I am the last person he would expect to do it. Anyways, my husband works out of the country about 6 months out of the year. (he is gone right now). I ran out of my own supply two days ago and called our Dr. and made up a story about how I needed to send him more Vicodin for his back. I just got my mail and.....omg.....there was an envelope from the Dr. with a prescription in it for 100 Vicodin and 5 refills. No ****. I almost fell off the bed. And of all the days.....TODAY, I got on this website trying to find help and joined TODAY, and this happens. It is almost like a sick joke. I venture towards recovery and then it becomes available to me like something out of a dream!!!! WTF?
You KNOW what you have to do. Do you want to get sober and live a happy life without a narcotic crutch like some loser,....or do you want to BE that loser who gets high and single handedly destroys your life and marriage? Hmmmmm,...thats a tough one.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I originally meant "it" to be the vicodin, but now that I think about it, the possibility of recovery was also made available today through this website. Tough decision when you are high on pills.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I originally meant "it" to be the vicodin, but now that I think about it, the possibility of recovery was also made available today through this website. Tough decision when you are high on pills.

So you took some pills today??
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

By the way......you are already entering into behavior that is incredibely deceitful. You are lying to a physician to get pills illegally. You are lying to your husband. Your husband is going to find out that you got more pills from the Doctor. Your doctor isnt going to follow any patient doctor privilage because YOU told HIM the patient was your HUSBAND. So he will tell your husband when he asks for another prescription,...."You went through all those pills I gave your wife already?!?!?!" and he will say "What pills????" Then the hammer comes down. On YOU. Thats when the secrets come out. Then if you dont try and get sober then,....you marriage is going nowhere but down. Along with your quality of life and then.......eventually,....you end up in jail, in an institution or dead. Sounds peachAAY doesnt it?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have taken 4 throughout the day. And for no reason!! Don't even feel them anymore. A friend of mine who went through rehab for the same thing told me one time that "if 5 don't work, 20 aren't going to work either." And I "know" that, but just take them anyway. Don't know what's wrong with me.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Earlybird......wow, yeah that would suck. But it's the whole "immortal/I won't get caught" thing. It's like I keep getting away with it and I guess I'm just pushing it to see what more I can get away with.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well guess what?? You already did something that ensures you getting caught. And dont you see how selfish that is that your husband may need another prescription one day and that doctor wont be able to or just plain wont help him because of YOU?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Earlybird, I have been on a seesaw, between using, and not using. After reading this thread and the posts, my first response was wow. AS of recent I am really being a jerk. I have people that care about me, and I am letting drugs and alcohol ruin those relationships, as Paralysisofwill said WTF. What the f am I doing. Thanks for the wake up call. I am not giving up! I think I will try to go back to a meeting, I am going to go look for one now. I really need it!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Paralysis of will I hope you make the right decision, and rip up the scripts, or come clean to your husband, and mail him the scripts. This way you will have been honest with your hubby and there will be no trouble with the Dr. Although I do question the ethics of a Dr. that gives a script for 100 pills with 5 refills for such a dangerous drug.
Do the right thing!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK. Earlybird you are right. The more I sit here and read all of these posts I know the decision I have to make. I am not going to fill the prescription. I am going to continue reading here all night if I have to. Tomorrow morning I am going to try to break my usual routine of coffee, cigarette, vicodin. Instead I am going to come straight here because after just joining today I am already finding the support I know I will need. Thanks everyone and plan on seeing a lot of me.....I am going to need major help if I am really going to do this.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ASH

Welcome to SR, glad you are here!
This is a great place to get advice, information and support with addiction issues.

Your friend told you like it is, if you dont feel 4 you will just up the qty and addiction for what?
You said in your post said you dont even feel them anymore.

I hope you get some answers and inspiration here to get the help and find the strength to get rid of this problem before it gets worse.

It will kick you *** and ruin your life , and before you know lead you to worse situations and perhaps other addictions. As it is right now you have put your trust with you husband at risk, and could go to jail for prescription fraud.

You sound pretty smart, get out while the gettin' is good!!!!
Take Care and keep coming to SR
Old 10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Paralysis,

I am so glad you feel comfortable here and have decided to change your life in such a positive way. I'm a recovering alcoholic, but your feelings are so much the way mine were. All I cared about was not getting caught today, right now. If I set myself up for tomorrow, so be it. Today, and drinking now, was all that mattered. And, I know how you feel getting this 'windfall' Rx too. It's the way I'd feel if I discovered a bottle I'd hidden in the house somewhere and forgotten about. I considered it a 'gift'. But the gift has been getting and staying sober. Every day is full of gifts, including knowing the people here at SR.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Paralysisof will, you said you were coming back here tomorrow, but there was no mention of getting rid of the scripts. I hope you will get rid of them. Please don't fill them.
Bfree
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OK. Earlybird you are right. The more I sit here and read all of these posts I know the decision I have to make. I am not going to fill the prescription. I am going to continue reading here all night if I have to. Tomorrow morning I am going to try to break my usual routine of coffee, cigarette, vicodin. Instead I am going to come straight here because after just joining today I am already finding the support I know I will need. Thanks everyone and plan on seeing a lot of me.....I am going to need major help if I am really going to do this.
You ROCK !!! Good for you. You dont have to cut out the coffee and cigarettes just yet. We DO need SOME things. Coffee, a smoke, and SoberRecovery.com. Breakfast of champions.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ASH

OK. Tomorrow morning I am going to try to break my usual routine of coffee, cigarette, vicodin. Instead I am going to come straight here because after just joining today I am already finding the support I know I will need. Thanks everyone and plan on seeing a lot of me......
Hi Paralysis,
Hope your going to check in today, how was that am cigg and coffee?
No matter what keep coming here and keep working it!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi. You are making the right steps. My husband's dr. was also pretty free with
the opiate pain killers. Never warned him that he would just have to keep taking more and more to keep his back pain controled. soooo mh ended up addicted.
getting off of them isn't easy....if you've been using for a while I really suggest going in for a medically monitered detox. that will help the withdrawal. Otherwise it's going to be really rough. My husband chose to "taper" off. He did it 3 times over the course of 7 months. so he spent 7 months in withdrawal. and the last 15 mos in post acute withdrawal...... I can't stress how important it is to get help....had we "done it right" my husband wouldn't have suffered as much all this time. I hope I'm not scaring you....just trying to give you info to help you make your recovery as comfortable as possible. and hopefully save someone else the misery mh has suffered.

also keep in mind that whatever led to you abusing opiate drugs is still going to be there when you quit....do whatever it takes find out what it is so that
you can minimize relapses because of that also.

Oh. and don't underestimate your husbands ability to be supportive and understanding. You don't want to go through this alone.

again...I don't want to scare you but this is serious stuff.

Keep us posted....you'll get a lot of support here...
Old 10-19-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maricamp
Hi. You are making the right steps. My husband's dr. was also pretty free with
the opiate pain killers. Never warned him that he would just have to keep taking more and more to keep his back pain controled. soooo mh ended up addicted.
getting off of them isn't easy....if you've been using for a while I really suggest going in for a medically monitered detox. that will help the withdrawal. Otherwise it's going to be really rough. My husband chose to "taper" off. He did it 3 times over the course of 7 months. so he spent 7 months in withdrawal. and the last 15 mos in post acute withdrawal...... I can't stress how important it is to get help....had we "done it right" my husband wouldn't have suffered as much all this time. I hope I'm not scaring you....just trying to give you info to help you make your recovery as comfortable as possible. and hopefully save someone else the misery mh has suffered.

also keep in mind that whatever led to you abusing opiate drugs is still going to be there when you quit....do whatever it takes find out what it is so that
you can minimize relapses because of that also.

Oh. and don't underestimate your husbands ability to be supportive and understanding. You don't want to go through this alone.

again...I don't want to scare you but this is serious stuff.

Keep us posted....you'll get a lot of support here...

Maricamp,...............This is OUTSTANDING advice.