Notices

Well I did it!

Old 04-30-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

Well I did it!

I finally called to inquire about an AA meeting and will be attending one tonight!

I'm scared to death, but happy I took this step!

I'm assuming as a newcomer it can get rather emotional ...... should I bring a box of tissues (lol) ...... actually I'm serious!

WOW ..... it's taken me 3 years to get to this point. Three years wasted. So hard to believe, understand, justify, accept! HOW DID I GET HERE!

THIS DISEASE STINKS (actually I wanted to use another word!)

Hugs to all
Maria
Old 04-30-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Congrats on your decision. If you don't bring tissues and turn out to need them, someone will have them for you!! One thing you should absolutely do is introduce yourself when they ask if there are any newcommers. When you do this people will welcome you warmly, introduce themselves to you after the meeting, give you their phone numbers and mean it when they tell you to call anytime. It can be hard the first time, but is very much worth it.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler
Congrats on your decision. If you don't bring tissues and turn out to need them, someone will have them for you!! One thing you should absolutely do is introduce yourself when they ask if there are any newcommers. When you do this people will welcome you warmly, introduce themselves to you after the meeting, give you their phone numbers and mean it when they tell you to call anytime. It can be hard the first time, but is very much worth it.

Thank you so very much Tyler (I'm assuming that's your name)! I have absolutely no problem getting up and introducing my self. What's frightening me is to hear the words OUT LOUD ...... Hi, I'm Maria, and I'M AN ALCOHOLIC. I've accepted and finally admitted it to myself (just a month ago) .... but I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it when I actually hear the words for myself.

I have no doubt that I will be welcomed warmly. You see, this is the ironic part of people with addictions ...... they can be so incredible kind, friendly, and willing to help. WOW, what a blessing.

Well, I don't know whether there will be introductions tonite. Supposedly they're having a speaker. But, I am going anyway. NUF of this procrastination. I NEED TO IMPROVE MY LIFE!

I hate to be a bother, but if you dont mind, can you tell me how the *sponsor* thing works??????

TOTALLY IGNORANT!

Maria
PS: Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I'm proably not the best person to respond to this and I'm sure some more experienced AA'ers will be along, but as I understand it, the primary role of a sponsor is to guide you while working through the 12 steps. There should be a pamphlet at the meetingn on Sponsorship, you might want to grab it and others as well. The price is right, they are free!!! Your next question is probably, "what exactly does it mean to "work the 12 steps"" I'm gonna beg off on this one, but it involves alot of introspection, writing and discussion with your sponsor. I'll let someone else tackle that one!! I'm starting to get out of my area of expereince!! Take care.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you anyway, Tyler, for caring enough to respond!

This site is just amazing and AWESOME!

God bless,
Maria
Old 04-30-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome Maria!!! And congratulations on taking this first step!!!
I can relate to that feelong of WASTED time..in one way or another...
But ya know? we had to go there to get here, in that sense it wasn't WASTED,
God bless the broken road.
Keep coming back Maria, and let us know how your meeting goes!!! \\//peace
Old 04-30-2005, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

finding me i can relate to you about saying those "dreadful" words. i never even considered myself one before my meeting. and when i said it... i felt sick to my stomach. i didnt even know if i believed it. a few more meetings went by and eventually i started believing it!!! i love the fact i'm an alkie now i get great tools for dealing with life and guess what...? i have made a crap load of friends. especially my new friends on here!!! i wouldnt give that up for anything... not even a drink!!!