Notices

I Finally Admitted It

Old 04-30-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation I Finally Admitted It

This is my first post. I just in recent days began to refer to myself as an alcoholic -- that was a huge step for me. My question is what now? What is my next step? How do I know if I need to go to some kind of facility? I have been looking online and see inpatient and outpatient options. How do I know which is best for me?

My boyfriend has been drinking right along with me thinks we can quit drinking on our own and just police each other -- I'm not so hopeful. The last few weeks are a complete blur. Everytime I wake up I wonder what horrible thing I said or did. I am totally out of control and have made a jerk of myself over and over -- I've even had a run in with the police recently but luckily was not arrested.

This seems to be a big place -- if there is a more specific place I should go to please head me in the right direction and I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome to soberrecovery!! You're definitely in the right place, glad you found your way here!! The simplest suggestion i have for you is stay in today!! Don't drink TODAY, concern yourself with tomorrow when it gets here. Look up AA in your area.
Rest, eat, drink water, juice. Take it easy on yourself, and keep coming back!!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

Originally Posted by FunWhenDrunk
This is my first post. I just in recent days began to refer to myself as an alcoholic -- that was a huge step for me. My question is what now? What is my next step? How do I know if I need to go to some kind of facility? I have been looking online and see inpatient and outpatient options. How do I know which is best for me?

My boyfriend has been drinking right along with me thinks we can quit drinking on our own and just police each other -- I'm not so hopeful. The last few weeks are a complete blur. Everytime I wake up I wonder what horrible thing I said or did. I am totally out of control and have made a jerk of myself over and over -- I've even had a run in with the police recently but luckily was not arrested.

This seems to be a big place -- if there is a more specific place I should go to please head me in the right direction and I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.
Admitting that you have a problem is the HARDEST thing to do.....keep coming here and talkng. It helps. Also get to an AA meeting, I am not so sure that you and your Bf can quit and police each other....you both have your own issues to deal with...they can become overwhelming when you stop drinking.....I am again glad that you are here.....kahlia
Old 04-30-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello

Glad to see you here at SR!

We do have a Forum for drinkers...check out

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...splay.php?f=13

My suggestion...see your doctor and be honest about your drinking pattern. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerois and it need not be,

My best to you and your partner..
Old 04-30-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome to SR

You have found a great place for hope and healing.Your drinking sounds alot like mine when I was active. Admitting to myself that I am an alcoholic, was the first step for me. Perhaps you can find a counseler or therapist to help guide you.My instincts tell me you should be detoxed in a medical facility. An AA meeting is always a good idea.

Bless, Trish
Old 04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome, Fun. This is a big place, filled with lots of people who care about you and will do whatever they can to help. I would 2nd the suggestion of calling your local AA hotline. While it is certainly not impossible to get sober on your own, like most things, it is easier with help. As far as using your boyfriend as your "sober buddy" I think that would be pretty hard as he is the one you said you drank with all the time. Just my opinion. As far as treatment goes, I think alot of it has to do with your will power. I have done both inpatient and outpatient treatments. The biggest advantage of inpatient is that it kinda takes you out of circulation for a month or so and gives you some sober time under your belt before you head back out into that mean world. It is unlikely, though not completely impossible, that you will use while in inpatient treatment. You also get the opportunity to focus only on you and your problem for 4 weeks. That in itself can be kind scary!! But it does help and really is the root of our using and drinking. As far as outpatient treatment goes, it never worked for me personally because I would just get drunk or high when I went home. I did get some good knowledge that still comes in handy, but I just couldn't handle doing it on my own. I could have reached out more, went to more meetings, called people, it is possible to do, but it is harder, in my opinion. Of course with outpatient, you don't have to put your life on hold quite as much, which can be good and bad too. In the end it will have to be your decision, inpatient, outpatient, meetings, or just doing it yourself. There are other web sites that offer tips for staying clean as well, but I would recommend trying AA first. Hope some of this helped. Keep posting here as well, it helps too. As far as where to post, there is an Alcoholics and an AA section, but this is the one where you will probably get the most responses. Take care.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Just wanted to say welcome and echo others by saying, you are definitely in the right place!!! I would also agree with Carol and recommend that you see your doctor so that you may detox safely.

Hang in there!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. My boyfriend thinks there is no way that either of us are actually alcoholics because we have in the past gone for weeks without drinking -- he says alcoholics cannot go a day without a drink. I think arguing over definitions of an alcoholic is silly -- our alcohol consumption is causing us problems with each other, ourselves and our lives in general -- that is what matters.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Well...

..this is from an AA phamplet..

Am I an alcoholic?
If you repeatedly drink more than you intend or want to, if you get into trouble, or if you have memory lapses when you drink, you may be an alcoholic. Only you can decide. No one in A.A. will tell you whether you are or not.

Go to an AA meeting and just listen. Get more info on the disease of alcoholism. You cam quit if you want to.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome you have found a place full of great people no judgements here....lots of love and support. Keep posting!

indigo
Old 04-30-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by FunWhenDrunk
I think arguing over definitions of an alcoholic is silly -- our alcohol consumption is causing us problems with each other, ourselves and our lives in general -- that is what matters.
Bingo.
Welcome to SoberRecovery Fun.
Some people are alcoholics. Some are not.
It's much easier to define a life made difficult/intolerable/unmanageable, pick you adjective, because of alcohol consumption and/or abuse.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Glad you're here

you admit you're an alcoholic. Take the next step and acept the fact you can't drink. Try going for several months w/o drinking.

I could go days or a week w/o drinking. When, I did drink I got drunk 9 out of 10 times.

Stay around and read what others have to say. I hope, you can gain by our experience

chris
Old 04-30-2005, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Our plan is to stop drinking starting Monday morning. I guess we'll try it on our own but he has agreed to go to an AA meeting with me if that's what I decide I want. I'm scared of going but I guess everyone is, right? I just worry that he thinks each of our problems with alcohol can be treated identically -- maybe mine is more severe or I'm in a different place right now than he is.