Notices

Has anyone seen the movie Ray?

Old 03-19-2005, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Has anyone seen the movie Ray?

I hope this isn't too far off topic. Possible spoilers for anyone who has not seen it.

I watched it yesterday, and I have to admit my emotions are in turmoil from being in active alcohol withdrawl.

One of the big points of the movies is his addicition to heroin. I personally have never taken the stuff, but in my mind, an addiciton is an addicition. It clearly shows the progression of the disease.

There is a very poignant scene in the movie when he goes thru heroin withdrawl. Even though withdrawling from alcohol looks like a piece of cake compared to heroin, both are torture.

Anyway, it had me in tears watching how we have to struggle with addiction. I don't think anyone WANTS to be tortured with this demon of addiction.

It gave me hope to know that he was able to quit the junk for good. It is POSSIBLE!!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning Greatful

Anything that inspires is not off topic. It is a great movie and reminds us that the best of the best struggle with addictions. I am currently reading Dry: a memoir...it is the memoir of a current, up and coming popular author and his stuggle with alcohol recovery. It is a great read...very honest and since he is best know for his humorous works...also lets us laugh at some of the things we go through.

Be well,
Lance
Old 03-19-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Ray Charles is just one of many famous addicts that have given all of us ordinary addicts the powerful force of hope. He crawled out from under active addiction to make some of the most beautiful music of his life.
His message of recovery just came in the form of notes played on a piano, and sung with his voice.
When we open our hearts and minds to the inspiration put there in front of us by those that came out of the cage before we did, we allow their strenght and hope to wash over us.
And in doing so, we start nurturing our own desire for change.

Off topic?
Not a chance.

Thanks for an inspiring post Greatful.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I havent seen "Ray" yet.But,I do have it in my que at Netflix though.I heard it was really good.If you wanna see another good movie about recovery.Watch Clean and Sober with Michael Keaton.Thats one of my favs.I have seen that one several times.Also "My name is Bill W." with James Woods is a really good movie about the man who helped start AA.