Notices

Scared..

Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared..

So.. im 16 and in grade 11 right?.. i have a social life which consits of drinking, haging with friends, friends doing drugs and what not.. living the life that ive lived im totally against drug use.. ne type of drug.. i dont see any point of it except making ur life unmanagable and unrealistic.. but what scares me the most is that i drink on weekends and what not but i hear so much about hereditary alchoholism.. my moms a recovering alchoholic.. i lived a life of seeing alchohol for so many years.. what scares me is my casual drinking turning into alcoholism over years.. today i can say that i wont become an alcoholic.. "i wont" "theres no way ill go down that path" "theres no way ill be an alchoholic".. i can say these things 100 times and drill it in but what if its something that i cant help.. something that i have no control over.. i dont want that to happen.. i want total control of my life and what i do but i want to have fun and expereince things at the same time.. im so confused..scared.. like i dont think my mom PLANNED on being an alchoholic and at the point where drugs n alchohol took over her life.. she didnt plan that.. she didnt say after highschool im gonna be an alchoholic... so if she couldnt help what happened.. how do i??.. this whole hereditary alchoholism thing really scares me and i dont know what to do about it.. i need answers.. no i need sum advice!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm Anna, recovering alcoholic and my mother was an alcoholic too. I decided as a teenager that, no matter what, that would never happen to me. In fact I drank a couple of times in university, but really not at all for years and years. I was never drunk, never had a hang over. Then, at age 45 things fell apart. I had been dealing with chronic physical pain and emotional pain, working full-time, 2 teenagers at home (sorry!) and a husband who travelled all the time. I thought a drink at bedtime would help me sleep. It did, very well. So I continued to drink at bedtime and I would guess that within 2 or 3 months, I was beyond the point where I could turn back. I had no clue that I could succumb to alcoholism at that point in my life, I figured it would have gotten me by then if it was going to. But, when they say this disease is cunning and baffling, you'd better believe it. And, you're right no one chooses to become an alcoholic!

So what can you do to protect yourself. I've thought back many times to look for signs in my life and this is what I found. I had obsessive tendencies in my personality. For example if I made a phone call and the line was busy, I'd keep on trying and trying. I was never late for anything. Those kinds of things are significant because alcoholism is a disease of obsession of the mind. Also, I believe that sugar plays a role. I was never overweight in my life, but always craved sugar. I liked to keep a steady amount of sugar going into my body throughout the day. I didn't like the feeling if my blood-sugar got low. I'd feel a bit shaky and weak and just unpleasant. I still love sugar but now use whole wheat bread, brown rice, things like that to keep the blood-sugar level more even.

What can you do? You're right that being 16 and drinking on weekends could lead you to become addicted. I can't resist saying to you that cutting down on your drinking would be a good idea. If you find that you're craving a drink, anxious for the weekend to come, drinking too much at one time, those are warning signs. This can sneak up on you and blindside you. Listen to the quiet little voice within you which will tell you if you're heading down the wrong path. You're smart and you're paying attention to the situation and those are two big things in your favor. If I knew then what I know now I would never have let this happen.

Love, Anna
Old 03-11-2005, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anna... thank yu so much for ur reply..the whole busy line thing.. i do that.. :s.. but anyways thank u for the help and advice.. its means alot to me
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PD,
Well here is the advice. Be aware that wishing you do not become one, will not prevent you from being an alcoholic. First things first. You do not need to drink to fit in It may seem as if "everyone" drinks but it is not true. My wife began drinking around your age. She was an alcoholic (by her guess) at around 21-22. A functional one, but still one. She has ben sober about 15 months. She is 43. It will sneak up on you.

You sound like a smart young lady. You know what you need to do. Stop drinking. Not forever, but how about until your legal to do so. You want to finish high school, perhaps university. Dont let alcohol derail your plans. Also the alcohol in Canada is a much stronger alcohol content from ours in the US.

If you want to be in total control of your life, start now. Be careful also. One thing men boys like more than beer is a drunk girl. Do not let that happen to you. Take control now. Honestly you will have just as good a time sober, and you will feel better about yourself. Good Luck
Old 03-11-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the advice.. i need it and u have alot to say it sounds like.. thank you again.. all this advice really helps me.. i like what u said about taking control now.. and i think thats what i need to start realizing.. that only i can control what i do and the decisions i make so if im gonna spend the time to make them.. why not make the right ones..