Notices

Waking up to Sobriety- Weekenders 24-27 May 2024

Old 05-22-2024, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

‘Waking up to Sobriety’ a few words that mean so much.

Initially I’m thinking Yes! It’s a good feeling having zero hangover when I wake up in a morning.

Then a deeper meaning for me is I woke up!

I woke up from the drudge of alcoholism.

I am an alcoholic. I always will be.

Difference now is I’m a sober alcoholic.

I have no qualms that if my sober muscles weakened and my sober tool box got rusty , neglected and not used, I could easily convince myself into the depths of alcoholism again and be an active drinker.

Being sober I know the formula for staying sober. It’s not difficult. Anyone can use it and adapt it to their own preferences.

I read a post Dee had wrote in a reply and liked the analogy he used. (Hope you don’t mind me using it Dee).

for me continued living in recovery is kind of akin to a car.
You've got to maintain it regularly, you've got to put the right kind of fuel in it...and ...keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel...
If that sounds like an ordeal or an unhappy existence. its really not.
My 'car' takes me wherever I want to go, over all terrain, all weathers, and all manner of fellow travellers, and I know it will never let me down”.

The longer I’m sober the more I realise it was worth the withdrawals, the uncertainties, the anxieties I felt….. to wake up to sobriety.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 05-22-2024, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brilliant OP, Mags. Thank you and thanks to Dee for his ever-wise words.

In for the Weekend.

❤️ to the Weekenders.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Leigh good to see you.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A really great opening post Mags. It’s exactly as you described.

Much has happened in these past 4 years. I would never have been able to manage if I’d been drinking. I think I’d be dead.

I really love sobriety. Its meaning grows deeper as time goes by.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring? ☀️

Old 05-22-2024, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Dog

Sober this weekend and every weekend. I always like car analogies. I know cars well enough I can look at one for a minute and tell how well it was taken care of.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Steely, I feel the same way. I’m sure I would’ve killed myself with booze if I’d continued to drink.

Hi DD I find your posts on cars interesting that you’ve wrote. I guess a vehicle can look good on the outside until you look under the bonnet and chassis see what really is going on.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Mags

D
Old 05-22-2024, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags
In for another with you all.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Ayers

Hi Dee

Old 05-22-2024, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 323 ODAAT
Old 05-22-2024, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great opening, Mags. Alcohol does no good. It can totally spoil a celebration, remove seriousness from a moment to feel sad and erase important memories. In short, it's good for nothing. Had a good dinner and ready to hit the sack. Good night from Seattle.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RAL

Great post Mags thanks

I'm in for this weekend. I'm away on Saturday and whilst I feel strong now, we all know how things can change in the blink of an eye
Old 05-23-2024, 12:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love your post today Mags. I rarely post here but read your opening post every Thursday morning with my coffee.
Those car analogies are always a good one. I heard similarly regarding health and how now as a man in his 50s we don't go every years to the GP for that MOT but we go to the garage every year for the car to be serviced or if we have an issue with the car.
We cant seem to live without a car but we manage somehow to live with the misery alcohol gave us. (and i use the word live sparingly as it was not living)
Have a great weekend all.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend!
Old 05-23-2024, 01:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for the great intro Mags1. Is very appropriate and helpful to newly sober.

In for the weekend, a long one in the USA, so I’m sure it will be challenging for some in early recovery especially. Just don’t take that first drink and that is all one has to worry about. If one doesn’t there is an overwhelming chance of achieving sobriety and creating a better life no matter your personal situation.

Pledging for today. Day 598.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 323 Days DD

Good to see you calmself

RAL, good to see you enjoy your time away. Post all you like if you’re struggling at any time.

Al good to see you good point about our bodies mot’s. Need to keep those checked to.

Hi Robbie good to see you hope your mum is doing ok since her hip op.

Old 05-23-2024, 03:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks as always Mags
Yesterday morning when I went to the grocery store..mind you it was 7am, I was at the self check out and an older gentleman was at the other checkout with a cart that had 3 large cases of beer in his cart. He was mumbling something to the woman who supervises the area. I did not drink beer, but so glad those days are over for me.
I am in
Old 05-23-2024, 03:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Alpine good to see you

Old 05-23-2024, 03:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
I love your post today Mags. I rarely post here but read your opening post every Thursday morning with my coffee.
Those car analogies are always a good one. I heard similarly regarding health and how now as a man in his 50s we don't go every years to the GP for that MOT but we go to the garage every year for the car to be serviced or if we have an issue with the car.
We cant seem to live without a car but we manage somehow to live with the misery alcohol gave us. (and i use the word live sparingly as it was not living)
Have a great weekend all.
Speak for yourself, AL 🤣 Although I’m sober and fit, at 54 I’m conscious that I’m at an age where health can’t be taken for granted. My “MOT” is annual private blood tests. The UK NHS might do these, but it’s like getting a blood test out of a stone! The cost was £284, but I reckon that’s money well spent. Quite an eye opener my recent blood test. Mostly good, but a few things to work on if I want to stay that way. It’s a massive bonus that I’m sober. Over 50 and a heavy drinker is a recipe for serious health problems. I cut down carbs (that’s tough!), eat more spinach than Popeye (a superfood) and eat ground flaxseeds as well as my gym and running stuff. Cholesterol went from 6 total to 4.4 and LDL is well within limits. I’m shocked! So far I’m pill free, and I hope that continues as long as possible 🙂 Now I’ve cut out snacks and those on the road coffees, I’m wondering what I’ll have to stop next!
Old 05-23-2024, 04:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

Hiya Mags

🅚🅔🅔🅟🅘🅝🅖 🅜🅨 🅜🅞🅣🅞🅡 🅒🅛🅔🅐🅝 🅦🅔🅔🅚🅔🅝🅓🅔🅡🅢

I am never using again even if my bottom drops off. Simple and straight to the point recovery works for me.

I'm a motor head and know Detroit cars, my city, very well. Repair and maintenance will keep a motor running for a 100 years and more. Neglect will cause breakdowns that can put the motor in the scrap heap. My recovery motor is cared for and loved. It purrs like my cat Ry.