Notices

Waking up to Sobriety- Weekenders 24-27 May 2024

Old 05-23-2024, 07:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Mags . You are the best. I hope all is well with you and your little family. Sending love.
Grateful to be going into the weekend sober.
Good post, Zen.
Grateful I got an order for groceries done and it should come today between 2-6. Oh well. At least it's not raining. I am so glad we have grocery delivery. I do not like grocery shopping at all.
Have a great day all. Love and peace to anyone struggling or suffering in any way.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good evening Weekenders and thank you, Mags, I’m in for a sober weekend with all of you.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for a 3 day sober weekend.

My 490th. Thank you Mags, yes putting down the booze leads to a bunch of waking up of the literal and non-literal kind. Addiction is real but it's a chemical and psychological thing that only needs the right mindset to overcome. You'll find it as long as you keep trying. Occasionally, if I need to buck myself up to do something I don't want to do I will think "well compared to quitting booze, this is Mickey Mouse"

A month or so ago someone on another thread mentioned this band - Jungle - from my hometown who have been around for ages, over a decade, who I only really noticed after a brilliant performance at the Brit awards. You can watch that performance if you want but I thought I would play an amazing choreographed video they put out. I'm that last person on earth qualified to rate something like that but it looks most impressive and I think one take. Enjoy.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Hodd;8059528]Speak for yourself, AL 🤣 Although I’m sober and fit,

"Although I'm sober and fit"
Isnt it wonderful we can say this now even in our 50s. I'd never have thought i could have said it. Being AF has now turned me into a Kayaking walking hiking up mountains morning sea swimming gym person 😅.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders,

Mags, thank you as always, for a thought provoking thread. I'm in for a sober weekend! It is indeed so important to keep our sober tools always at hand and in good working order. I may be struggling with low mood at present, but I'm grateful to wake up sober in the morning.
Thanks Sao, for reminding me about working on a mindset change. It is so worth it.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

World Turtle Day

"Leatherback sea turtles have existed in their current form since the age of the dinosaurs!
They are highly migratory, some swimming more than 10,000 miles a year between nesting and foraging grounds. They are also accomplished divers with the deepest recorded dive reaching nearly 4,000 feet—deeper than most marine mammals."
- NOAA Fisheries

I once had a box turtle as a kid. I hade a pin for him/her(?) outside. It burrowed down a half meter and escaped out the other side of my enclosure perimeter wall. I learned turtles can dig tunnels in the dirt, the sneaky mofo.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing about the sea turtle Zen. Very interesting. Looking forward to the upcoming weekend that hopefully Mr A does not have to work during. Will be doing some grilling. Yay
Old 05-23-2024, 01:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Robbie good to see you hope your mum is doing ok since her hip op.
Thanks for asking. She's doing OK. She still needs someone with her when she goes shopping etc. She's lacking in confidence and I'm not sure she's ever going to get that confidence back to go out on her own. There's a shop less than a 5 minute walk from where she lives and I've tried to encourage her to go there on a morning, to buy a newspaper, to get her outside for a short while, but she keeps coming up with reasons why she can't do it.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

^ Sounds like a familiar tale, Robbie ☹️ It’s difficult to know what to do. It could be a case of the more help they get, the more dependent they become. Sounds like you’re doing your bit though 👍 Make sure you look after yourself too. In the end with my parents, I usually only went to see them if my wife kindly came too - to give me support plus my parents behaved when she was there. I’m certainly glad I sobered up before that kicked off as I’m sure you are, Robbie.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Zen, thanks for the interesting information about the turtles! Did you get your turtle back? I love that people stop for turtles here. I once helped a turtle cross the road. Took a floor mat out of my car and let him move onto it, then gently pulled him across and over a small ditch.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, Mags.
I’m in for a sober weekend with all of you!
Old 05-23-2024, 06:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your mum Robbie.
I hope in time she'll get her confidence back

Hi Pekelover - hope you are well?
Old 05-23-2024, 08:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for another sober weekend.

Is no one going to call shotgun?
Old 05-23-2024, 08:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sorry to hear about your mum Robbie.
I hope in time she'll get her confidence back

Hi Pekelover - hope you are well?
Doing great, Dee. I’ve been busy since my colleague passed away. Still working on my condolence card to her husband.
We have a nice group going in the “road to summer” section. It’s fun to have extra support there to help reach our fitness goals.
Husband is working this holiday weekend. Making plans + volunteering will help me to stay motivated.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 324 ODAAT
Old 05-23-2024, 10:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by least View Post
Is no one going to call shotgun?
Looks like you just did.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hope your mam is doing OK Robbie.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Zen, thanks for the interesting information about the turtles! Did you get your turtle back? I love that people stop for turtles here. I once helped a turtle cross the road. Took a floor mat out of my car and let him move onto it, then gently pulled him across and over a small ditch.
Hi Leshar

Sad story about Boxy the turtle of mine, I found him/her...IT! on vacation with mom dad in Missouri. Back home in Michigan a day or two after he escaped the neighbor kid knew about Boxy brought him home to me squashed flat . He was under a car tire and nobody saw that and Yikes!!! the car took off out of the driveway and they saw what happened to him.

I got a gerbil after that, Mr. Springs, that sucker could jump by golly

Originally Posted by PJ
Australia has had gold rushes, that had a significant influence on societal trends and govt policy.

Yes in deed Australia has a rich history of gold mining in some the most way way out place Sketchy bare bones operations are common in mining. Start on the cheep and hit the big time as the dream goes. Then reality hits ya, it back breaking work in 45c weather. One of our presidents was part of digging one big arse gold pit in the outback. The pit is impressive, must of got some gold out of it.

Great opal mining too, Black opal is way beyond beauty, such a pretty rock and pricey too.

I'm up late. Oh well, getting a bit sleepy or hungry maybe
Old 05-24-2024, 12:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
RAL

morning all, happy friday
Old 05-24-2024, 12:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm in .

Thanks Mags.