Notices

Weekenders, Slippers, Sneakers & Brown Shoes - 10-13 May 2024

Old 05-08-2024, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to Weekenders

I was reading some old posts and came across this by Rusty Zipper affectionately known as Patee. He has left this world sadly though his memory lives on here in SR. It resonated with me, hope you like it too.

Thanks Zippy!

“Slippers, Sneakers, Loafers & Brown Shoes

You know, being an alcoholic an a addict in recovery is not an easy task, especially when it comes time to go buy another pair of shoes.

There’s lot’s to choose from.

We have the Two-Tone Wing-Tips. When I tried them on, I was put into the nightlife days, high-class, to sleezy-cheesy bars and clubs… booze,drugs, women, get’n one over on another. Being something I was not…

Now i tried on the Slippers. They didn’t make me ready for lounging , nor bedtime. They made me feel like saying, Hey! One drink wont hurt, you can handle it. You have some time, its all out of your system, go for it, if you cant handle it, just put it down. Problem with that, if I put it down, then I have to pick it up again, then put it down… I may, or may not be able too, and here goes the Merry go Round of addiction again.

Well, now I tried on a pair of Sneakers, Woe!-Bruth’a! I didn’t feel like run’n a marathon, nor taking a nice long walk. I felt like going underground. Again, I have some time in, why not just keep going to meetings, working with my sponser, and having a few Belts now and then… who would know? I can keep up the charade as long as no one gets hurt or finds out… A few Breath Mints? “Certs Certs, Two Mints in One”

Now, I wondered about the shoe store a bit more, found a nice shiny pair of Loafers, not the kind you put the penny in… A sleek kinda GQ look’n pair… real snazzy… I tried them on and Cripes! What a rush… whats the matter with you Nit-Wit, you go to meetings every night, you do lots of service work, you work on these things called steps, you get on your tired worn down kness every day and night, you give people rides, go on outgoings, make coffee, call other alky’s and addicts, call the guy you call Big Foot, a sponser he’s called… for what, you have time, you know what to do, just not pick up a drink or a drug. Wad’a you waisting all this time for? You can be watching TV, chasing girls, going to the movies, night clubs, playing golf, tennis, Yuk! ect, ect, ect.!you don’t need anything other then don’t drink or drug… Wow! Get these things off my feets real fast… no lik’y! they made me feel miserable!

As I was stil paroooooooooz’n the shoe store, I came across a pair of plain Brown Shoes, you know the kind George Gobal talk’d about on the old Jonny Carson show, his great line. “ Did you ever feel like the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes? “ I put these things on and they felt pretty good, kind’a calming, relaxing, they made me feel serene. They put a smile on my face, made me laugh! I liked them, wrap um I said to the salesman. Please toss in some polish so I may keep them in good shape.

As i'm wearing these shoes, they are helping to keep me on the right path to recovery, keeping me doing that next right thing to a happy, joyous and free new life.

So my friends in recovery, what kind of shoes do you all like? Me, I will stick to the Brown Shoes.

all good wishes, and give only love ................. xxoo, pattee (_RZ_”

Old 05-08-2024, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 309 ODAAT I will not drink this weekend
Old 05-08-2024, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on Day 309 DD.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am not calling shotgun, so someone else can have it this weekend.

I miss Rusty. . He's one of the two old timers here that advised me to practice gratitude every day to improve my sobriety and my life in general. He and CarolD told me that, and they were right, at least as far as my life is concerned.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Least. Gratitude sounds a good tool to use.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, in for this weekend...shotgun too? 5 years sober tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend!
Old 05-09-2024, 12:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations Reid on 5 years sober
Old 05-09-2024, 12:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. In for another sober weekend.
Congrats on five years, Reid!
Old 05-09-2024, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Reid congratulations on shotgun and your upcoming 5 years! Woohoo!

Hiya Robbie and Peke

Old 05-09-2024, 01:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats Reid82 on 5 years.

pledging for today. Day 584.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Runner congratulations on Day 584

Old 05-09-2024, 02:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awwww, thanks for including RZ, Mags

And thanks for hosting another thread….I am in for the weekend!

Old 05-09-2024, 03:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks mags. I'm in for a sober weekend

Congrats on 5 years Reid
Old 05-09-2024, 03:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on your upcoming soberversary, Reid! Do you have anything fun planned to celebrate?
Old 05-09-2024, 04:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Purps and RAL

Old 05-09-2024, 04:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I once went to work (office job) in dark blue Crocs thinking no one would notice. Everyone did! In my defence, I was “between” shoes.

It’s ironic now that for someone so devoid of fashion sense, I’m very fussy about running shoes. I spent less time looking at my current house than I do buying new running shoes, and I’ve just had to retire another (£120) pair.

As for slippers, having been married to an Asian, I don’t wear shoes in the house. I think I’m still too young (54) for slippers 🤣

Old 05-09-2024, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Hodd. I found crocs comfy. I did a 13 mile charity walk in them. Sooo comfy but I got some questionable looks and comments. You need good running shoes definitely agree.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN! Congratulations on 5 years tomorrow, Reid. And keep racking those days up, everyone who is counting (DD, Runner, Peke)!

I like the brown shoes. I understand, I think, that the brown shoes are the practical, dependable, steady shoe. The shoes that are there for you every day, and that work in pretty much any situation. At least that's how I interpret them. I try to be that brown shoe myself. It might sound boring or dull, but I like having a steady routine, and stick to my simple habits most of the time. It cuts down on the stress, and makes me feel safe and secure. For me, the drinking days were chaotic, unpredictable, unreliable, uncomfortable. I want to be as far away from that kind of stuff as possible. Of course, life throws curveballs, but if I'm keeping things in order from day to day, those curveballs are easier to handle. So I'll take the boring and practical brown shoes. In real life, I prefer sneakers or hiking boots, though

I decided not to retire from my job just yet, after all. I will stick around and see how this reorganization goes, and at least be here to help with the transition. I picked out one of the new positions that I'd like to try out. Who knows - I might like it and stick around another year or so. I don't have anything much to lose, and it does come with a (very modest) pay raise and it will help pad my pension account a little. I'm at peace with this decision. And my supervisors are thrilled, because several of the people this is affecting have decided to leave, and they need some like me, with experience, to stay and train new hires and be here to help the transition. Win-win, and I can still leave anytime I feel like I need to.

Trip to Ireland is now only 9 days away. Excited beyond reason.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hiya Hodd. I found crocs comfy. I did a 13 mile charity walk in them. Sooo comfy but I got some questionable looks and comments. You need good running shoes definitely agree.
You must have tough feet, mags! I find Crocs very unsupportive. I had to get special (as in expensive) insoles for my running shoes as my feet are a bit flat. Without insoles I’d soon get sore shins.

Crocs are fashionable in Asia with whole shops selling multicoloured versions. You’d be a star there, mags 🤣