Notices

Almost 6 weeks clean

Old 05-08-2024, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 6 weeks clean

Hello, I have not fallen off wagon and am feeling very positive. Now instead of reward drinks - I have been having reward dinners. I have also allowed myself sweets. This last one is big as I am also a diabetic (II), but what's strange is my blood sugar is low (~70) most days in morning and I have been losing weight. Up till just before Easter, I had been drinking for nearly 48 years. Also strange that I didn't have really any adverse effects other than mild craving and sugar or pickles (really) seemed to get me over the hump. Not that I believe I am in home stretch - this is the start of my new future. I was married for almost 30 years, have 3 great kids (no grand kids) and share my house with my extra fuzzy shetland sheepdog. I am retired now after working as an application engineer for various machine building companies, and for nearly the last 20 years as a high school Physics teacher. My health has never been great but always got along ok. In the fall of last year I fell in my house and needed help to get up which turned out to be a 911 call - first one.This was the first "gong". In February of this year my O2% was in low 80's which scared me, I eventually drove myself to hospital and found I had congestive heart failure. 5 days later I was released. This was the second "gong". For more than a year I had also known that my heart was in Atrial Fibrillation and after going thru (2) different Cardio Services (stop heart and re-start with 300J shock) I agreed to having laser ablation. Right before the procedure (>5hr in OR) I decided that I had heard the 3'rd "gong". I believe that these events gave me the gumption to start out on this path. So, I am reaching out to be both supportive of others struggling and to share my story. I know that I'll need a group such as this one to be successful and have already learned that there isn't any was to ease myself back into occasional drinking. It's really a digital answer - yes or no.l have started to sharpen my eyes looking for triggers such as beer commercials or groups of people drinking and any sort of drinking life. This thread kind of captured my existence at this point and I have been looking into re-establishing things I used to love doing. Thanks for following along.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and well done on 6 weeks of sobriety. Also, well done in planning to get back to things you used to love doing. It's so important to change your lifestyle to support your sobriety and doing things you love is great. You will find lots of support here.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Volunteer Greeter

Welcome to SR gg137. ✨6 weeks is fantastic!!!!

Have a look around the place, there are different forums and threads where you can join in to the discussion and introduce yourself.
I've been coming to SR daily and have 20 months sober because of it. There are no AA/NA meetings around me so SR has helped immensely.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great start on recovery. Welcome.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome gg

as we get older, I think it’s more important than ever that we are kind to our bodies and minds.
I am firmly of the opinion that stopping drinking is one of the best things I ever did for my health

you’ll find a lot of support here I’m glad you joined us!
Old 05-08-2024, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on six weeks!!
Old 05-08-2024, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 weeks—that is fantastic!
Old 05-09-2024, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Making the decision that drinking is not an option made all the difference for me, sounds like you are ready to join the tribe. 6 weeks is fantastic!
Old 05-09-2024, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going gg?

D
Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome gg.

Congratulations on 6 weeks. Hope you stick around to share your progress.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery gg and congratulations on 6 weeks of sobriety
Old 05-11-2024, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello and thanks for the support. Today marks 6 weeks! I have to say that reading the posts about others in situations similar to mine is very helpful. I think the key here is to learn from mistakes of others as I've made enough to accept other people's wisdom. Keeping in the path of changing - yesterday I bought a small 16' fishing boat that I thought was located an hour or so from my home - turns out it's across the country in Oregon. Fortunately shipping was included - luck as it's more than 2500 miles! I am so excited and being retired - have loads of time. Next I'll have to train my sheltie to be a boat-dog and not go after the fish I hope to catch. The boat lays in a new pathway for outside activities and heck my kids might even come out too! Happy Mother's Day too!
Old 05-11-2024, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 weeks clean 🙏
Old 05-11-2024, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gg137 View Post
I think the key here is to learn from mistakes
Don't overlook the success of others either. I think there is a strong argument that the success of others can be equally important as their mistakes.

Of the large pool of possible mistakes, I'm guessing most are common mistakes that almost all of us make. In pre-recovery we don't give much thought to these because during that period of active alcoholism, we may vaguely be aware, but too easily blow them off thinking we can get this problem solved with just a little bit of self control. Self control, Ha! The fantasy of every alcoholic that realizes he may have a problem. When we finally realize the absurdity of that fantasy, we start paying attention to others that are taking the journey back to the land of the consciousness and personal growth.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello! It's now more than 8 weeks! That is my most important news. On another level - there's life lessons: today's topic BOATS. It turns out that the person that posted a boat for sale on FRB Marketplace and paraded a eBay Motors deal was in fact a scam. The summer found a boat and description on market and made up a story on why they were selling it so cheap.Revenge sale due to divorce. I knew the price was a good deal and contacted the seller who sent me a knock-off eBay Motors invoice. The invoice said that by going thru them - neither party could be hurt. The document explained why they needed gift crds to pay for the boat. I was suckered in. After the "SALE" I could not reach anyone involved. I eventually found the real owner of the boat and the boat was still for sale but for $1000's more. After a few days of trying to find anything out and reporting the incident - it came to me to call the gift card company. (2) of the 5 cards could be re-issued to me and I could petition for remains on the 3 other cards. In mean time I found another boat and bought it after seeing it personally. It needs loads of work and big question on motor - but time is all I have now that I'm retired so, I got a project. Things are generally well with me-still using food as treat to guard against drinking and weighing myself regularly as a check which is working ok. I am thinking of starting to use my Planet Fitness account which has been untouched for years - at least the monthly fee is low. stay well!
Old 05-29-2024, 04:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 8 weeks gg.
Sorry about the scam but it’s good you got some money back and were able to buy another boat - enjoy the project

D