Notices

Patience in Recovery

Old 05-23-2024, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Patience in Recovery

Hey everyone,

I had a major job interview on Monday and was told I would hear something by the end of this week or, more likely, early next week. I put in another thread, as Tom Petty's song says, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part." I feel very good about the interview and believe I did my very best. Still, being patient this week has be a real feat.

Were I still drinking (4 years sober) I would have been out-of-control drinking this week out of anxiety and fear, yet instead I am engaging in self-care, getting good sleep, have eaten well, and in general have the attitude, "If this job is for me, it will happen." What a paradigm shift-change from the former, anxiety-ridden me.

Has anyone else experienced increased patience with things such as this? Yet one more major benefit of sobriety. The gifts just keep on coming. Soldier on, friends!

Ogs
Old 05-23-2024, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah man!
If it is to be then it will be.

Of course I'm not 100% there, maybe 50% but that's 1000 times better than when I was a drunk.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Olgsby well done on 4 years and really good wishes with the job.
I was only thinking yesterday about this, I didn't realise at the time that alcohol caused anxiety so I would drink through situations that made me anxious absolutely bonkers medicating a problem with the very substance that's causing it. Since I've stopped my entire nervous system is so much better in every way. Like yourself I'm much calmer, feel totally in control and do lots of self care so I feel really healthy physically and mentally. No more near panic attacks. It really shows if you look after yourself our bodies are amazing at dealing with everything thrown at them.

Really good wishes about the job, that's very how I function if it's meant to be it will be.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oglsby View Post
Hey everyone,

What a paradigm shift-change from the former, anxiety-ridden me.

Ogs
YES!! I consider this to be one of the most precious gifts of sobriety.

Happy to hear you are focused on self care. Good luck to you on the job front.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On the issue of jobs, I find it helpful to include this quote from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous:

"Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others ...."
Old 05-23-2024, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ogslby,
Thanks for the positive post. I really hope you receive good news before long!
Old 05-23-2024, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sobriety is just so darn cool. Thanks for the positive post, Ogs.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a lot more patient than I used to be - with humans anyway.
Me and inanimate objects still struggle though

best wishes with the potential job Oglosby - they'd be lucky to have you

D
Old 05-24-2024, 04:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, everyone. It'll likely be next week because the place has had a ton going on this week, so I'll have to be patient longer. I went out and had a nice dinner last night and it helped keep my mind off of thinking about it. I really did the best I could do. If I don't get it, I will be disappointed, but I couldn't have tried harder (without looking visibly nervous, etc). So we shall see. Thanks for all of t he kind comments! They mean a lot!
Old 05-24-2024, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good luck, Oglsby!

It is lovely to know that you will get it if you should have it. There is peace in doing your best and seeing what happens!?!

Life is an adventure. I think it sounds like you are enjoying it without putting too much pressure on how it all “should” look.

I’ve definitely wanted jobs that weren’t meant for me, and I’ve been given better work than I could ever dream. Peace as you wait for direction.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on the phone this week. The signal was poor, and the person was speaking one word every two minutes (at least it felt like it 🤣 ). I did have to bite my tongue as I was losing my cool. I’m obviously glad I didn’t say anything. It’s not that person’s fault the signal was poor even if they were speaking at the speed of a tectonic plate, but I was a little disappointed that my temper kicked in. I need to work on that.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

Best wishes Ogs on the new job prospect. Do not obsess or second guess the decisions you made in preparation of a possible new job. You did your best with the skills and tools you have. Have faith in you abilities because as I see, you have a great many.

Worrying wont get the job nor any other anxious emotions will help. Let them go and put your trust in yourself where the power to overcome all thing rest. You are incredible and the whole of the universe resides in you
Old 05-24-2024, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am not sure it is patience Ogs; it sounds like acceptance to me.

And yes, that has definitely changed for me in sobriety, and I know if I had had that interview, I would be thinking, if it is meant to be, it will be. s ❤️

PS. I am less patient now than I ever was, but I am better at containing my emotions, so there's that. xx
Old 05-26-2024, 03:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to you guys so much. Really kind of you to say, Zen, and Venus, hugs to you as always.

I really did the best I could do, so we shall see. We have Memorial Day tomorrow so I am enjoying the weekend. Each day it bothers me less. Thanks for the awesome support!
Old 05-26-2024, 04:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Have a lovely two days, Og. ❤️
Old 05-26-2024, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You too, sweet Suze! I always appreciate you!
Old 05-26-2024, 11:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ditto. ❤️
Old 05-26-2024, 12:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RAL

Have a good weekend ogs and I hope you get good news next week 😀
Old 05-26-2024, 12:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks RAL! Last week was super stressful, partly because my life has not been too stressed since I quit drinking. I will definitely find out this week and I have a great feeling about it, but you just never know. Thanks for your support always. Hugs!
Old 05-29-2024, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I did not get the job, and got a generic email. But you know what? I truly take it as it was not meant to be. I would say that my interview was a 9.5/10. I think I might have actually been overqualified and that my former salary would not have been able to be met.

Am I upset? Disappointed? no. Surpised? A bit. But I will tell you what---and I mean this---I think things meant to be are meant to be. I have taken a gap year from work after retirement from career #1 and was kind of thinking I needed just a wee bit longer to travel and visit family. I now have this, and don't have to stress all summer about starting at a school that would have wanted me to do LOTS of extras for a reduced salary.

Moral of the story: Don't get worked up about things that are out of your control. I really had an awful week last week from the stress but I let it go over the holiday weekend. Thanks for everyone's support. And not to sound arrogant, but seriously, it's their loss. I was perfect for the job.
Ogs