Notices

Reversing the risk of dementia

Old 04-27-2024, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reversing the risk of dementia

I am not sure why I woke up worrying about this today. Although I suppose I am sure: there is a lot of alcohol abuse disorder in my family and also a lot of dementia. They are, I know, related. Another reason to maintain my sobriety. Does anyone have any information they can share about whether the brain can bounce back and the risk can be mitigated? I have been a binge drinker on and off for 40 years and feel worried about this. I know my brain is working better these last 3 months, but this family history has me worried.

again, doesn’t perhaps matter in the big scheme of things, but I would find it useful (maybe comforting?) to know more about whether the risk can be reduced, thank you!
Old 04-27-2024, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I worry about this as well, I've lost a lot of memory about things in the last 5 years and I worry as I'm only 46..
Old 04-27-2024, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My Mom started drinking at 15. She is currently 87. Diagnosed with Alcohol Dementia. She continues to drink 3 glasses of “her” Chardonnay a night. I live 3 states away. Yes, her doctor has advised she needs to stop totally. She won’t and my sister enables by purchasing said wine.

I quit in November 2012, at age 55. I’m 66 & yes what might or probably is normal memory loss worries me. Did I wait too long?

I started drinking at age 25, after my high school sweetheart & I divorced. In retrospect I can clearly see the progression. I can’t go back in time.

So, I & and my sober husband (just celebrated 36 years in April) & our grown son use the AA Program to maintain our sobriety. It’s a Win-Win in our family & individual lives. 🥰🥰🥰

I’d advise speaking to your doctor on your specific question.

💛 Bobbi
Old 04-27-2024, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yes there is something you can do.

Doing puzzles, crafts and here's the article https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/new...evention-study and exercizing the mind with all sorts of behaviors help delay dementia.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post

Doing puzzles, crafts and here's the article https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/new...evention-study and exercizing the mind with all sorts of behaviors help delay dementia.

I think keeping the mind strong definitely helps. My Mom started college at age 40 , already 25 years into daily drinking. She continued working full time at a major L.A. University, while going to school at nights, taking care of hubby, shopping everything. She finished with her Masters in Counseling. They moved out of state in their late 60’s where my Mom started her second career working in counseling at school, retired and then worked for the state.

She retired for the last time at 79. Sadly, she retired to nothing exciting, nothing stimulating, no hobbies, just shopping. My real Mom comes out at times when I visit oh but I miss our conversations.

Always learning, physically active, being IN life. It delayed, I guess, the inevitable.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post

Thank you! I love puzzles. Fortunately I have a heavy reading and writing profession and continue to do that work and enjoy it. I hope that helps me keep my brain sharp.

thank you for sharing your thoughts, BarbieKen. I sometimes get into that space too of why didn’t I do this earlier but I didn’t and the most important thing is that I am doing it now. I am not sure why I woke up thinking about this today. The last three months have been lovely and I am so glad to be sober.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Look into the Mediterranean diet.

I'm trying to eat a better diet for many reasons, and the Mediterranean diet consistently seems to meet my needs. Whilst I've been looking into it I've come across a lot of studies into its positive effects on dementia.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm eighty two and travelling fairly well for that age.
Exercise is recommended within your age limits.
I enjoy regular and varied meditations as well.
Forming of new habits and passtimes will help
KOKO *keep on keeping on Matilda--
Old 04-28-2024, 12:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Physical exercise has been proven to be the best thing for our brains , both cardio and strength , cardiovascular training even creates new neurons in the brain , so you are basically reversing the damage by exercising.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/iZ0eOes1cLQ
Old 04-28-2024, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
Look into the Mediterranean diet.

I'm trying to eat a better diet for many reasons, and the Mediterranean diet consistently seems to meet my needs. Whilst I've been looking into it I've come across a lot of studies into its positive effects on dementia.
Thank you everyone for the excellent suggestions. Bubovski, I especially appreciate hearing that you are healthy and hale. That is fantastic!
Toddy, I have heard that the Mediterranean diet is excellent. I eat that way somewhat naturally because of my own Mediterranean background, although I have been eating more sugar these last three months than ever before. My mindset this year is whatever it takes, don't drink. Fortunately the sugar cravings are dissipating, so I can get back into it. Same, too, with exercise. My energy has been pretty low, but I feel it coming back, which is great. Right now, mostly walks and hiking and working on the property, but I plan to incorporate more cardio and weights in over the next couple of months. Baby steps.

Speaking of diet and dementia, I have a friend who is involved in the Dean Ornish clinical trial that is currently being run. It is the first longitudinal clinical trial that seeks to see if diet can reverse dementia--not just decrease risk. It is a pretty strict vegan diet, but again the goal is to reverse dementia not just reduce risk. The initial findings are very promising and exciting.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a real fear of developing dementia! It started a few years ago when I got some first hand experience of it and I started reading about it. I honestly can’t imagine how incredibly painful it must be to watch a loved one gradually deteriorate in this way. Memories make us who we are.

I have seen and read a few things about the ketogenic diet being extremely protective to the brain. But there is a healthy way of doing it and there’s an unhealthy way of doing it! 😂 Think: salmon, greens and olive oil rather than sausages and cheese! Have a Google and see what you think.

I have also read that long daily walks reduce the risk of dementia (I don’t know how or why). I should probably find these articles/studies and post the links on here rather than just saying “I’ve read this, that and the other”.

Zen has already suggested puzzles etc.

I’ve read that amyloid plaques that begin to build on areas of the brain are caused by inflammation, so I would guess that anything that brings down inflammation in the body is beneficial. Stopping drinking is massive. I feel like just by doing that and nothing else is a huge prevention step.

xxx
Old 04-28-2024, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd like to get off valium because of the risk of early dementia, but my psychiatrist is just like "are you having side effects? OK we'll leave it as it is". I dunno how he can think being on benzos for three years isn't too long and why he doesn't want to taper me off it.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Thank you everyone for the excellent suggestions. Bubovski, I especially appreciate hearing that you are healthy and hale. That is fantastic!
Toddy, I have heard that the Mediterranean diet is excellent. I eat that way somewhat naturally because of my own Mediterranean background, although I have been eating more sugar these last three months than ever before. My mindset this year is whatever it takes, don't drink. Fortunately the sugar cravings are dissipating, so I can get back into it. Same, too, with exercise. My energy has been pretty low, but I feel it coming back, which is great. Right now, mostly walks and hiking and working on the property, but I plan to incorporate more cardio and weights in over the next couple of months. Baby steps.

Speaking of diet and dementia, I have a friend who is involved in the Dean Ornish clinical trial that is currently being run. It is the first longitudinal clinical trial that seeks to see if diet can reverse dementia--not just decrease risk. It is a pretty strict vegan diet, but again the goal is to reverse dementia not just reduce risk. The initial findings are very promising and exciting.
That's very interesting about the trial your friend is in-my cousin died of early onset Alzheimer's which was the most horrible thing to watch happen. Some of my relatives have changed to a vegan diet partly because of this.

I'm very concerned about a genetic tie to it so of course I'm kicking myself for not quitting drinking earlier, but I am very watchful of my diet, do lots of physical exercise and mental challenges and luckily I work in an industry where we constantly have to learn new things so I hope that helps.
We can control so much, I guess.