View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
matilda123

Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
Look into the Mediterranean diet.

I'm trying to eat a better diet for many reasons, and the Mediterranean diet consistently seems to meet my needs. Whilst I've been looking into it I've come across a lot of studies into its positive effects on dementia.
Thank you everyone for the excellent suggestions. Bubovski, I especially appreciate hearing that you are healthy and hale. That is fantastic!
Toddy, I have heard that the Mediterranean diet is excellent. I eat that way somewhat naturally because of my own Mediterranean background, although I have been eating more sugar these last three months than ever before. My mindset this year is whatever it takes, don't drink. Fortunately the sugar cravings are dissipating, so I can get back into it. Same, too, with exercise. My energy has been pretty low, but I feel it coming back, which is great. Right now, mostly walks and hiking and working on the property, but I plan to incorporate more cardio and weights in over the next couple of months. Baby steps.

Speaking of diet and dementia, I have a friend who is involved in the Dean Ornish clinical trial that is currently being run. It is the first longitudinal clinical trial that seeks to see if diet can reverse dementia--not just decrease risk. It is a pretty strict vegan diet, but again the goal is to reverse dementia not just reduce risk. The initial findings are very promising and exciting.