Notices

Everything has changed, but everything's the same

Old 03-29-2024, 02:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Ayers, I am also in my early sixties. My previous sober stint was also 2019. I feel like you do. Nothing is very exciting. That is ok though. Perhaps our minds need quiet equilibrium more than it needs excitement, elation, adrenaline or even happiness, whatever that may mean.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
this! When quitting is the thing we want more than anything, I think the healing can begin.
Wanting to quit was a big motivator to help me turn the corner. A question for a newbie would be, "Do you want to quit, or are you wishing you would quit?"

Wanting to quit is different than hoping or wishing. And the difference is not that subtle.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Ayers, thanks for posting. I can relate.

I think I got so accustomed to being so high or low that living in the middle ground became a foreign concept. Now I sit here on a regular Friday with nothing happening. No chaos. Sober and feeling great really. But feeling great has become normal. I used to relapse just to get back to the pink cloud, rinse and repeat. It's beautiful when we learn to just be instead of falling back into old habits. I think that's part of the process for me. It's not so much that I've detached from recovery, it's moving from actively trying to recover to being recovered in mind, body, and spirit.

Been following you for awhile. Congrats on your success!
Old 03-29-2024, 06:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome post Five - thanks
Old 03-30-2024, 05:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
I used to relapse just to get back to the pink cloud
It seems like a second ride would be less likely to happen. Not sure why I think that, however.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Unlike my previous sober stint, this time is different.
I never went through the pink cloud phase. I haven't experienced bursts of energy and inspiration like before that I wrote about and rejoiced in.

This time is calmer, steadfast, quiet, personal... but oh so real. It's a deeper knowledge. Almost like I've allowed my ancient soul to take over.

So, in effect, this time round is real. I'm dealing with reality. And some days I do feel chipper and able to post upbeat comments - but for the most part I feel...quite detached and uninvolved in my own recovery.
Am I the only one feeling this way?
I just snipped to highlight a few words of your post above. I had the pink cloud and enjoyed the ride, but I could feel the ride slow down and settle in to reality as my sober days added up. I am 86 days and I feel detached some days and more motivated to post on other days. I am more soul searching myself right now, quiet, trying to figure out 'me' the 'new me' that has come in to my life and I don't know 'her' very well since she has always been mind altered with drinking.

(Almost like I've allowed my ancient soul to take over.) I like that sentence and understand it and feel it also.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Bunker, Dri guy, Five Tries and 424.
I remember while in the thick of things not being able to imagine going out for a walk or going to a yoga class. Even grocery shopping was a mammoth task.
After being quit for about 10 days I forced - literally forced myself to get out. It was a slog.
Until it wasn't anymore.
I knew by sticking to some kind of routine, I was doing the right thing. And I hate to cancel once I've commited to a group to do something - so that kept me going.
It has now become second nature and I'm first in line for an extra walk during the week. My walking and Parkruns on Saturdays have been a saving grace.
Bottom line to all those struggling ; force yourself as soon as you're able to change your routine and do something that you KNOW is good for you. Fake it till you make it and it becomes easier.
I did Parkrun yesterday. Skipped walk this am - my bunions hurt. Will walk again tomorrow.
Baking a Foccacia again today with olives and rosemary.
Yeah... allow your ancient soul to take over. It naturally steers you toward doing things that are good for you. We inherantly know what we should do.
Hugs to all of you xxx
Old 03-31-2024, 02:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah... allow your ancient soul to take over. It naturally steers you toward doing things that are good for you. We inherantly know what we should do.

​​​​​​​D