Notices

What are you most grateful for today?

Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I’m grateful my daughter is doing well at the moment. We are meeting for coffee, tomorrow. Mr. Bean’s. ☕️
Old 03-26-2024, 12:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that I was able to make many people's lives happier from March 16th to March 24, 2024 as I approach 4 years of sobriety. The trip was inspired by Van Gogh. We went to all of the best museums and historical sites that could be seen in nine days. I had no desire to drink and that brings me much joy. I am also grateful to SR. Thanks all.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thankful for losing the fear of living sober, living a life without alcohol. I relapsed 3 times - after 11 months, after 7 months, & after 8 months. I don’t know what the heck I was afraid of. I’m a much more interesting person now & I do not miss one single, solitary thing about that life.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tailia couldn't agree more drinking is such a fear to stop It's bonkers isn't it.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So many things!

All of them can be traced back to my sobriety - so I'm MOST grateful just to be sober today.

What has sobriety done for me over the past 4 years or so?

-Got out of a toxic relationship, was close to getting married!
-Completed an intensive outpatient program - met an amazing addiction counselor who would over the past 4 years go from my counselor, to my mentor, and now she's one of my best friends!
-Started grad school! Studying clinical mental health and addiction counseling
-Became a licensed alcohol and drug counselor
-Close to finishing school!
-Get to help other people on their recovery journey's - it's so hard, stressful and difficult, but it gives me LIFE! 4-ish years ago I was delivering pizza full-time and always had a cocktail going in my car.........
-Financially stable for the first time in my 42 years
-Bought a new car! (had the same POS for over 14 years)
-Starting the home buying process!

ALL OF THIS - would not have happened without me being sober today. Excited to see what it brings tomorrow.........

Donnylutz
Old 03-28-2024, 02:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tailai View Post
Thankful for losing the fear of living sober, living a life without alcohol. I relapsed 3 times - after 11 months, after 7 months, & after 8 months. I don’t know what the heck I was afraid of. I’m a much more interesting person now & I do not miss one single, solitary thing about that life.
Couldn’t agree more, Tailai. No longer afraid of myself . I’m truly awesome. lol

Old 03-28-2024, 02:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’m grateful that I don’t live in a war torn country, my kids starving and traumatized. 😞
Old 03-29-2024, 01:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Having a working vape.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that after nearly 27 months of sobriety I am not ashamed of myself regularly for stupid or reckless behaviour and love being sober and seeing that I actually had confidence all along, it was just masked by regular binge drinking. Even on the rough days when when things can get on top of me I know alcohol would only ever make things worse and I'm thankful for having everything and everyone in my life when others have such awful things happening.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That I resisted the urge to buy tobacco.

Entered the “just one” zone, but quickly came to my senses, and turned on heel.

Day 2 today.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I had knee replacement surgery seven weeks ago, and I’m grateful that I graduated from PT this week and my recovery is going well.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That's great news Delilah.

I had a sore knee recently but it's healed up I think and I'm grateful I'm able to go for a run this morning.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
That I resisted the urge to buy tobacco.

Entered the “just one” zone, but quickly came to my senses, and turned on heel.

Day 2 today.
Congrats. Tobacco is so addictive. I think nicotine is probably the most addictive drug out there, I don't think I've had a full day off in four years.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm grateful the only thing I lost when I drank this time was an empty debit card. I got lucky. I could have lost my card, phone, refillable vape and free travel pass too. I'm grateful I wasn't arrested. I'm grateful I wasn't hospitalized. I'm grateful I paid rent before I started drinking or I would have drank it. Just a very lucky relapse.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for being in good health.

And for updating the browser setting so the background here is black. I can see so much better now!

Old 03-30-2024, 12:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am grateful today that my lab work I had done is improving. Still ridiculous amounts, but not outrageous amounts. Small improvements, a lifestyle change, not an instant fix I have to remember that. It's a marathon not a sprint. Learning and accepting that, I am also grateful for today.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I'm grateful the only thing I lost when I drank this time was an empty debit card. I got lucky. I could have lost my card, phone, refillable vape and free travel pass too. I'm grateful I wasn't arrested. I'm grateful I wasn't hospitalized. I'm grateful I paid rent before I started drinking or I would have drank it. Just a very lucky relapse.
It seems like its been for around the last 10 years or so.... Not sure about the World but in America an ATM doesn't give you your cash until you pull your debit card back out of the machine. That may be because of alcoholics like me. On more than one occasion I got so drunk and so excited to smoke crack cocaine that I would drive away from the machine with my card in it. Thank God it constantly promps the user for a PIN and probably at least > 50% of people are honest. Even without alcohol I drop/break a vape tank from time to time. I keep plenty of vape gear on hand.

I am grateful for the path my struggles have put me on. Grateful to God and the way I look at things now. I was created this way for a reason and I'm understanding things now. Grateful for what I am becoming in a lot of ways, spiritually, physically, as a professional. Its probably so cliche, but learning to love myself and others. My fear of God has become my courage. For most of my life I feared everything except God, that's a problem. Its like a wheel constantly spinning and pointing at something different to fear. Now its stuck, pointing at God so make him happy and there isn't anything else to worry about.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm thankful your posts, RD. They are very helpful. Congrats on your recovery.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am grateful to have survived a car crash that totaled my car. My son and I walked away from the only 2 seats left in the car. The rest was gone. I don’t sleep well, I’m in pain, but I’m alive. Grateful every day to God for allowing us to walk on this planet one day more. I try not take this for granted on a daily basis.
Old 03-31-2024, 01:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I’m glad both you and your son survived LadyArwen.

Brought back memories of my own son being in coma for over a week following a car accident many years ago. Alcohol was not involved.

He was only 18 months old. The memory made me want to throw up. I’m so grateful he survived LadyArwen. 💜