Notices

Morning has broken

Old 03-19-2024, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning has broken

In early sobriety early mornings for me are the best. That hour before sunrise and the day getting brighter literally and figuratively. Indescribably better than those horrible hideous hungover mornings. There is an old joke that goes something like this: when a non- drinker wakes up in the morning he or she knows that that is the best they will feel all day. I used to think it was funny. Until I realised that for the chronic alcoholic the day never gets better.

The emotional rollercoaster of early sobriety is well known to me. Some says are better. Some not. That most useless of emotions -resentment- is still a hard nut to chew. Another challenge remains filling all the empty hours previously so uselessly and destructively wasted on drinking. Dealing with each day requires a good dose of fortitude and stoicism. SR, AA and related literature, topic relevant podcasts and reflection and introspection help.

The goal is not perfection and happiness for me. It is some form of inner equilibrium and quiet understated contentment. I see that in members here and in AA and I believe it to be possible.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

As much as I love that part of the day too, I'd love to sleep through it occasionally
enjoy your day Bunker

D
Old 03-20-2024, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My favorite time of day.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning, I'm still lying in bed and enjoying coffee.

Thanks for your post. You malke a really good point.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to hate mornings. It all comes from the fact that it wasn't socially acceptable to drink at that time, so it made me uncomfortable. I'd wake up hungover and that period from waking up till midday, I'd suffer agonising anxiety until the pubs would open and I could have a drink. Of course, eventually I no longer waited for pubs to open, I'd pour myself a glass of wine and start drinking not long after I woke up. I just figured whats the point in suffering when I could have a drink now. I mean, I was going to have a drink regardless so I may aswell just drink now.

So for me mornings became the worst part of the day. Whereas I loved the evenings, as that was when I was in my element. Everyone was drinking at that time, so it made it ok.

It's just horrible to think about that. Now I wake up happy and look forward to exercising and then a coffee. It really is a world away.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post! I love the mornings too! I am by nature a morning person, but drinking robbed me of that. It is so great to wake up refreshed from a good night’s sleep now.

while I often jump out of bed, I also enjoy letting the dogs up here for a snuggle while having my coffee and reading SR. Doing that as we speak!
Old 03-29-2024, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Woke at 6am and lying in my bed with SR and the dog. Swim in a hour in cold sea water, back home drive to a match with my son then once we return do a bit of gardening and then relax for the evening infront of the fire. Never would i have done this while a drinker. Being Easter it was another excuse for drunken weekend.
Not now though 🙂.
Enjoy your Weekend Bunker.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Morning's frustrate me. I'm an early bird and my natural clock always seem to tend back towards waking at 3am no matter what i do. But you have to be quiet because the rest of the house is sleeping. I love a good dawn walk though, or even a sadboi hours (2-4am) stroll.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Weekend mornings without hangovers are absolutely amazing.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Gymbunny7 View Post
Weekend mornings without hangovers are absolutely amazing.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post…….yes, indeedy.

yep, gotta fill those empty hours.

Sometimes, it’s uncomfortably feeling and remembering. A very necessary part of healing.

Big hugs.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Bunker, it's definitely possible to achieve inner peace.