View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bunker

Morning has broken

In early sobriety early mornings for me are the best. That hour before sunrise and the day getting brighter literally and figuratively. Indescribably better than those horrible hideous hungover mornings. There is an old joke that goes something like this: when a non- drinker wakes up in the morning he or she knows that that is the best they will feel all day. I used to think it was funny. Until I realised that for the chronic alcoholic the day never gets better.

The emotional rollercoaster of early sobriety is well known to me. Some says are better. Some not. That most useless of emotions -resentment- is still a hard nut to chew. Another challenge remains filling all the empty hours previously so uselessly and destructively wasted on drinking. Dealing with each day requires a good dose of fortitude and stoicism. SR, AA and related literature, topic relevant podcasts and reflection and introspection help.

The goal is not perfection and happiness for me. It is some form of inner equilibrium and quiet understated contentment. I see that in members here and in AA and I believe it to be possible.