Notices

Alcohol and physical appearance/health

Old 02-11-2024, 02:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

18 (19!) days is fabulous. It is amazing how quickly the good effects rack up. Chiming in late, but I wanted say just a few weeks in (28 days) I've already noticed:
  • While not 100%, sleeping is 100% better.
  • More importantly, I think definitely that the sleep I am getting is better as I'm not tired so much during the day/needing a nap. Also, dreaming has returned! (Not always a positive, but it does mean the REM sleep I was missing is coming back).
  • My mental acuity and concentration is much better. Day flies by and I am absorbed in my work (hard to manage when hungover).
  • GERD isn't 100% gone, but again, 100% better. Acid reflux was waking me up multiple times per night if I didn't take something before I went to bed. Now, I'm not taking anything and only having occasional, intermittent issues.
  • No nail biting! That is actually a huge sign for me that my anxiety is much lower since I have been an anxious nail biter all my life. I always notice that my nails grow when I am sober.
  • Significantly less bloating--face looks thinner and clothes fit better.
  • Resting heart rate is down significantly. Was in the mid-80s while drinking.
  • And while weight loss isn't my immediate focus (I have gained over 20 pounds this last round of heavy drinking--I can't call it COVID weight anymore), I have lost 5 pounds while allowing myself to eat more sweets than I do normally.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for all these posts! Am just finishing up day 14 and love to hear all these positives. I know that the mental benefits there too and the longer term damage that I am avoiding but there is something so satisfying about actually seeing the reversal of how much bad alcohol has done.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winefreesophie View Post
Thanks for all these posts! Am just finishing up day 14 and love to hear all these positives. I know that the mental benefits there too and the longer term damage that I am avoiding but there is something so satisfying about actually seeing the reversal of how much bad alcohol has done.
I agree! These kinds of inventories really help solidify my decision to stay sober. I hope that you are doing well, Winefree. And congratulations on 14 days: that is fantastic!!
Old 02-11-2024, 02:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
18 (19!) days is fabulous. It is amazing how quickly the good effects rack up. Chiming in late, but I wanted say just a few weeks in (28 days) I've already noticed:
  • While not 100%, sleeping is 100% better.
  • More importantly, I think definitely that the sleep I am getting is better as I'm not tired so much during the day/needing a nap. Also, dreaming has returned! (Not always a positive, but it does mean the REM sleep I was missing is coming back).
  • My mental acuity and concentration is much better. Day flies by and I am absorbed in my work (hard to manage when hungover).
  • GERD isn't 100% gone, but again, 100% better. Acid reflux was waking me up multiple times per night if I didn't take something before I went to bed. Now, I'm not taking anything and only having occasional, intermittent issues.
  • No nail biting! That is actually a huge sign for me that my anxiety is much lower since I have been an anxious nail biter all my life. I always notice that my nails grow when I am sober.
  • Significantly less bloating--face looks thinner and clothes fit better.
  • Resting heart rate is down significantly. Was in the mid-80s while drinking.
  • And while weight loss isn't my immediate focus (I have gained over 20 pounds this last round of heavy drinking--I can't call it COVID weight anymore), I have lost 5 pounds while allowing myself to eat more sweets than I do normally.
I can't believe I forgot to add the most amazing health change--pain and inflammation! I have osteoarthritis and the pain and stiffness can be bad, especially in the winter. Again, not 100% gone, but 100% better. And recovery seems to be a lot better too: I overdid it the week before last in the garden. My back hurt (as would be expected given a former injury), but instead of being out for a couple of weeks or months, it was back to normal a few days later. Yay! That is a big one for me!!
Old 02-11-2024, 07:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There is a lot to list. I'll list the best from my experience.

Very high blood pressure and pulse rate. Now I'm at 120/70 and pulse 60 (varies a bit) vs 160/90 and pulse 90 at resting sometimes higher. And that's at 245 lbs and no blood pressure meds.

No more morning nausea and other unmentionable's.

Reduced knee pain, even with being very tall, I noticed a significant difference in reduced knee pain, and even foot discomfort disappeared - circulation, blood pressure, and blood sugar tied into this, I know.

​​​Skin complexion was a night and day difference. Most guys don't worry about it, but we noticed our ruddy almost wind-burnt red complexion from daily drinking. And let's not forget the glazed-over eyes.

Better overall stamina and perceived passage of time. I'm no longer worn out when I wake up in the morning. I get out of bed quickly and may still be grumpy for the first 30 minutes.

And about "time," I no longer clock watch at work and after work. I'm not in a breakneck rush to get home. I concentrate on what I'm doing instead of thinking about going home to drink.

Itchy calves and palms that started after I quit for a little while that's also long gone. And I can't forget about the dry mouth, so dry that the smacking noises would be irritating.

And if I got into the psychological aspects and benefits, I'd have to type out a short book.

Welcome.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In 3 months I’ve gone from looking like a Zelda/used teabag hybrid… to Taylor Swift.

Seriously.

Even if the benefits started and ended with the shallow stuff like how I look, I would stay sober just for that. Because, well… face cream adverts lie. Sobriety is the best beauty regime there is!

But the OTHER stuff is flipping even MORE amazeballs.

I’m a waaaay better parent and partner.

Anxiety has GONE…. and been replaced by this inner chilled-out stranger. I’m still getting acquainted with her! Sometimes I’m wondering “Shouldn’t I be panicking about ‘xyz’?” ….It’s SO NICE after decades of being scared of literally everything. It’s an extreme change that I am fully embracing.

I have so much energy. A good, clean kind.

I sleep less, but better quality.

I look forward to the day.

I am beginning to trust myself again.

I have more confidence.

I am making improvements in every single part of my life.

Sobriety: 5 stars, would highly recommend 😊

Old 02-12-2024, 01:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 15 just completed and helped by all these comments, thank you. I had never thought about alcohol causing inflammation before (I am guessing that is what causes the red cheeks) and may do some googling about that. So good to hear all the positives.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 15 days! I seem to have misread and gave you a few extra, but I know that you'll get there so congratulations in advance!!

The inflammation connection is quite interesting. I'm a nerd, so I like to read about these things (I, too, find the science both interesting and compelling). Here is an interesting piece about the alcohol, inflammation and gut/brain/liver connection: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842521/

Also, this one from the Arthritis Foundation talks about alcohol specifically as it pertains to that disease: https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...-limit/alcohol