Notices

I’m posting a lot … I know

Old 11-02-2023, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’m posting a lot … I know

So much of our world is focused around drinking. I notice it everywhere. My boss a few days ago said he was going to be handing out beer to adults that were trick or treating with their kids. It’s mind blowing
Old 11-02-2023, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Dog

I post a lot too but I think the general consensus here is post all you want especially if it will keep you from drinking. And if your boss is passing out beer then thats one less he can drink. so it has a good side and a bad side. Any good parent would turn down a beer walking with their children though in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not everyone has our issues with alcohol. If someone can enjoy a beer and not suffer the consequences more power to them.

My guess is eventually most everyone suffers the consequences whether minor or major though.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJ143143 View Post
So much of our world is focused around drinking. I notice it everywhere. My boss a few days ago said he was going to be handing out beer to adults that were trick or treating with their kids. It’s mind blowing
I post a lot too. This community welcomes that!

Gosh I was just thinking the same thing,
I feel like every time I watch TV another add for a wine spritzer comes on. And might I add, if alcohol can lead to the following:

Liver cancer
Esophageal cancer
Hypertension
Pancreatitis
Gastritis
Alcohol-related dementia
Then why is it still advertised so heavily??
You don’t see that with cigarettes

I might post this separately.

Why is alcohol associated with every holiday? ! Not just St Patrick’s day. But Fourth of July, gosh on Thanksgiving my husband sees a lot of intoxicated patients.

Also every celebrity has an alcoholic beverage now: Cameron Diaz, Christy Brinkley, George Clooney, JLo, Cindy Crawford, VanHalen

It’s in every grocery and convenience store. Still in print ads in magazines (cigarettes aren’t).

How come the Marlboro man is banned? But alcohol is everywhere?
Old 11-02-2023, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Post away.
That's how I got started. Now I just hijack everyone else's post.😁

There is a lot of focus on alcohol in certain areas of life.
Thing is I'm not sure those without an issue notice as much as we do.
I still get the random AV watching a movie or TV and see a scene where a character is drinking and apparently enjoying themselves.
Thing is I now KNOW I am not that person.
I know the drinks on the beach watching the sunset are fiction. For me anyway.

I saw a show the other day about coffee.
At one point in the show they made a correlation with the introduction of coffee into Britain and the beginning of the industrial revolution.
Seems before coffee the only safe way to drink water there was to distill it into alcohol so everyone was half shot most of their waking hours. So of course there wasn't much intelligent thinking and ideas coming about.
Once folks started drinking coffee instead they would sit in the coffee houses drinking coffee and exchanging ideas. Before long ideas became reality, how many drunken ideas have we had that just faded away?

Not sure how a non addict would have processed that snippet but it had a big impact on me.

So yes there is a big push to put alcohol in a positive light but if we look around there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

So instead of being programmed by corporate America I choose to look for the truth. They can spend all the billions they want on image. It ain't working on me anymore.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't stop posting (and reading) until the miracle happens!

Old 11-02-2023, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I haven't posted much lately as I have not been around as much as when I first was struggling to get sober. I agree that it seems like it so much of the world is focused on drinking. It drove me bonkers for the first two years or so. Now, sober almost 7 years I don't really even notice the blitz of ads everywhere. Its obviously still everywhere but you kind of learn to ignore it. Every year sober gets better, even when this has been a terrible one for me personally (lost my mother, lost a big account at work) it has been a good sober year.

There is always a lot to be grateful for even when it seems there isn't.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RAL

what your boss does is not your concern nor your business
Old 11-02-2023, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I'm able to tune out alcohol advertising. But, I watch Netflix more than cable so don't see a lot of commercials.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I say post as much as you want/need. It certainly has helped me to post often.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
what your boss does is not your concern nor your business
RAL I never said it was my business I was using it as an example of how many people drink and how often they do. Just my personal experience and observation at work the other day. Why you felt the need to write that I don’t understand
Old 11-02-2023, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RAL

Originally Posted by AJ143143 View Post
RAL I never said it was my business I was using it as an example of how many people drink and how often they do. Just my personal experience and observation at work the other day. Why you felt the need to write that I don’t understand
Hi AJ
I didn't mean to upset you. I just meant what other people say and do is not our concern or our business. If we try and understand and rationalize it just annoys us and makes no sense.

many people drink and others support and encourage drinking. but that's not our business. we must stay in our own lanes and focus on what we can do
Old 11-02-2023, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post as much as you need to AJ

I remember when I quit, I saw ads for alcohol everywhere, I saw drinkers everywhere, I smelt it everywhere.

Things did not stay at that heightened level though - like Anna I’m no longer really aware of drinking or drinkers unless it or they are right up all in my face.

That is a very rare occurrence, though and if it happens I usually leave

D

Old 11-02-2023, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's good to see you posting AJ
Old 11-02-2023, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
needingtochange

I agree with cityboy and others. It's good to see you post. I get worried when I don't see people posting for awhile.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everybody drinks, what a good reason not to drink. Many people are sheep. Just more dumb stuff that is common in society.

You are standing on your own two feet. The only approval you need is from God.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Everybody drinks, what a good reason not to drink. Many people are sheep. Just more dumb stuff that is common in society.

You are standing on your own two feet. The only approval you need is from God.
Preach