Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 04 - 07 August 2023

Notices

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 04 - 07 August 2023

Old 08-05-2023, 08:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Great to hear from so many people. Sao, I love your car information. I feel like I'm getting an education! Keep up the good work. I really like hearing about them and I know you love them. Probably the way I love my horses! I was telling a friend on another thread about how my animals had a sense of humor. Especially my Dobie and my mare who was imported from Germany. Every time I used to bend over to pick out her hooves, she'd bite me in the butt, like a pinch. I could almost see her laughing. She was so smart and very mischievous I think that's what I loved about her.
Mags sending you love and prayers. Thank you for the mentions. You are all so kind and I appreciate your friendship.
Have a wonderful day and love and peace to all.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes your way Mags, you too CaptainHaddock, I hope you make a speedy recovery from Covid, it doesn't get a lot of attention here now but it's definitely still around.

Too nice to talk to is my favourite Beat song, I like the Furs too but have not seem them live either unfortunately.

Here's a winning combination from 1957 that really ought to have been tried more often. A fine American V8 motor (Chrysler 383cu/6.3ltr) with fabulous French bodywork.

It's called a Facel Vega HK500 and this particular one was owned by Olivia de Havilland the movie actress who clearly had good taste (and a few bucks, they weren't cheap)

Attached Images
Old 08-05-2023, 11:47 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Mags, my brother's toys were always far more interesting then dolls and playing outside was my number one thing to do.
Squeaked in a 15 mile bike ride today and started to gather things for the hospital stay next week.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:34 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, I know a good way to tell a crocodile from an alligator - The crocodile's head is narrow and pointed, like the A in alligator, and the alligator's head is more rounded, like the C in crocodile.

Finally got to sleep late last night when the itching subsided a bit.

Might take Billie for a walk to ck's house later on, depending on her schedule today.

Just got done rinsing Billie's potty pad. I don't use soap, just rinse it well with hot water and hang it in the sun to dry.

Captain, hope you feel better soon. I finally caught it too, mid July, but like you, having had my vaccines and booster shots, it didn't last too long. Also my doctor prescribed Paxlovid, which helped me feel much better in a few days.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:03 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Mags
Zencat that’s some expensive doll.

I was never a doll person as a kid. Pretty as they were. A robot doll would e been good though. My brothers toys always were more interesting than mine.
Also thank you for the mention Mags.

🤣 Mags that's funny to me. My niece had the Easy Bake Oven when I was young she was 8 years old. Ioved baking cakes with her and, my toy soldiers, and anything I could stuff in the tiny oven 😜. Tonka truck, excavator, scoop loader, bulldozer, and that is what I had. Way Way fun in the dirt time. Like the time when I dumped the planter dirt on the living room floor and played with my Tonka toys. Mom of course freaked the flying out. It was raining outside. I was a problem solver at a very young age...LOL
Old 08-05-2023, 04:28 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

If a croc or alligator chases you..run in a box formation. It is hard for them to make tight turns. Just saying...
Old 08-05-2023, 04:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
If a croc or alligator chases you..run in a box formation. It is hard for them to make tight turns. Just saying...
Thankfully we don't have any here in the UK! Or at least I don't think we've got any here in the UK other than what are kept as pets. though why someone would want to keep a crocodile or alligator as a pet is beyond me. According to the following, 7 people were attacked by these so called pets in England in 2018...

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...water-25131408
Old 08-05-2023, 04:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

[/url]
Old 08-05-2023, 06:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

^
I love it Alpine!
Old 08-05-2023, 08:27 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Zencat, lol. Our minds are exploring everything when we’re so young, it’s natural to want to put (cook) your toys in the easy bake oven. Lol. My brothers would’ve had the same idea as yourself and bring the mud in to play with. we lived across from the beach as kids so many of our days (especially holidays) were on the beach, collecting pebbles and shells and building sandcastles. What was it about sandcastles? They were so much fun to do.

Alpine, thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to run in a box formation if an alligator or croc ever appears ….especially in the toilet which is what I wonder when I lift the toilet lid. What monsters are hiding there. It’s always a relief that there’s never been a lurking snake or gator. Truly. Lol.
Love the gator pic!

Least that’s good info about the V and C on their faces.

Had a covid test…negative. Hoping I’ll soon feel normal some time soon. It will pass I’m sure.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:52 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can't remember where I heard that identifying tip, but I also was told, by my mom, a grade school teacher, that the two hump camels look like a B, they are Bactrian camels, and the one hump camel looks like a D, they are a Dromedary camel.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm not sure what a 'box formation' is but I guess it involves 90 degree turns. I was watching a Cheetah chase a Gazelle on a nature programme the other day. I see why it's called a Cheetah, it BLATANTLY tripped the Gazelle. If it had been the Olympics that Cheetah would have been sent home in disgrace.

At the other end of the price scale, this was designed by the same company that designed the Facel Vega. This is a Ford Comete from 1951. Back in those days, before the European Union and with high tariffs it only sold in France which was a shame. Pretty no?

Attached Images
Old 08-06-2023, 03:03 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 308.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:24 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

here be I
Old 08-06-2023, 04:03 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 308 Runner.

Hi PJ

Pretty car yes, Saou.

Least I like ways to remember stuff. There’s one for the planets in order but I forget.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

To remember how many feet in a mile..I know many of you are on metric system, it is " five tomatoes" 5,280 . If you say it kind of sounds like it. There is one for all of the bones in the wrist but I don't remember it.
PJ, love having you here, along with eveyone else
Sao, lol
Mags, hope you are feeling better
Feeling pretty tired all around, but otherwise good.
Happy day all

Old 08-06-2023, 06:30 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags1. Much appreciated. Thank you for all your support to all on this site. Sending strength to all who may be struggling. Been there many times but sobriety can be obtained. What works for me is “ just don’t take that first drink “. I am addicted to alcohol and if I have a drink I will go right back to square one. Not going there.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:17 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I am in today! Mags and Alpine, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. PJ, I hope you are feeling better too.
Very interesting, Sao.
Love and peace to you all and have a wonderful day.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:10 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Mags I am so sorry I somehow missed that you hade COVID too. Glad you are testing negative. Hope you feel 100% soon.

I love Sundays now. No hangover and feeling good so I can get chores done before the work week starts.

Hello to all the Weekenders!
Old 08-06-2023, 10:41 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Like this? 😜
Mags, PJ, Aly, Alpy, and anyone feeling unwell, please be gentle with yourself.

Sao Cool Ford.
On a school field trip, we toured the Ford Motor Company Rouge River Production Plant. 2 coke ovens to make steel. Roller plant to make sheets for finders, Huge press's to stamp the parts out. The place was massive.

Shelby GT 500 Ford Mustang. With the 428 Cobra Jet V8
335 Horsepower and 440 lb-ft Torque