Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 04 - 07 August 2023

Notices

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 04 - 07 August 2023

Old 08-04-2023, 02:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

CK
Old 08-04-2023, 04:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The allergy doctor called me this morning and told me to go to the lab in my doctor's bldg for the blood/allergy tests she ordered. So I went as soon as I could. They took out 7 tubes of blood!! I hope I have enough left to sustain me...

Got an email that I was eligible for a free medic alert bracelet, but after the lady called me to verify my info, she told me it would cost me $49 a month for the service. I told her to forget it, I don't want it, but she didn't take no for an answer! I kept telling her I'm not interested any more but she argued with me. I finally told her NO and hung up on her. I can't stand pushy sales people!! I told her I thought it was free, She said the device was free but the service was not. That's when I told her to forget it!!

Making something to eat right now since I didn't have any breakfast.

Old 08-05-2023, 02:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 307.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My last "free" weekend before the yucky time starts. Here for my sober weekend. Let's make it great
Old 08-05-2023, 03:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good Morning Weekenders

Rain, rain and yet more rain. When will we get an English summer? It reminds me of The Beatles song 'I Am The Walrus'

Sitting in an English garden
Waiting for the sun
If the sun don't come you get a tan
From standing in the English rain

I hope everything goes well for you Apline. Take care

Congratulations on Day 307 RunnerF. You're heading for the big 1 year.

least, 7 tubes of blood - goodness!

I'm having an 80s morning this morning, listining to long forgotten songs from the early 80s. This probably won't mean much to anyone in the UK let alone anyone from outside of it but this excellent song is from August 1980

The Beat - Best Friend

I hope everyone has a good and peaceful day.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What a great track, Thanks Robbie. I never saw The Beat live, my loss. I wonder why the lead singer Dave Wakeling, covered the logo on his shirt with a badge? It looks like a Fred Perry.

Yeah, Jay Leno has a lot of classics least, he's a genuine enthusiast. I hope no one minds me posting these photos. I'm not one of those petrolhead types who denies or doesn't care about the damage cars cause but I do still admire a great car. Hopefully they will be a lot less harmful in future.

Here's a marque I like:-

A Lancia from way back in 1934. It's called a Asturia Fastback powered by a 2.6ltr V8. Very pretty. This one found its way to England but was originally owned by the Italian dictator Mussolini's son who was 16 when he was given it.

Attached Images
Old 08-05-2023, 04:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Weekenders.

There are many reasons why I am definitely in for another sober weekend, recovering from Covid being one of them. Thankfully, having had all the vaccinations, it seems a lot less severe than before.

least, 7 vials of blood sounds rough. I hope only one needle ***** was needed though!

Alpine, best wishes in the days to come.

For the rest of the day I am unashamedly just going to lay on the couch, watch TV and keep the fireplace going.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Beat were The English Beat here for some reason…a local band had the name maybe?

Mirror in the Bathroom was a good track. I’m reliably informed the song is not about drugs, just narcissism, lol.

D
Old 08-05-2023, 04:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you’re recovering Cap’n

D
Old 08-05-2023, 04:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Dee.

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post

least, 7 vials of blood sounds rough. I hope only one needle ***** was needed though!
I believe this is the first time ever I got sensored on SR. The word that got blocked out is a noun that is used for when a needle pierces the skin or a verb describing what one does to a balloon with a pin, if intent on bursting it.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The Beat were The English Beat here for some reason…a local band had the name maybe?

Mirror in the Bathroom was a good track. I’m reliably informed the song is not about drugs, just narcissism, lol.

D
I think the band were named The English Beat in most countries outside of the UK and Ireland, although wikipedia says they were called The British Beat in Australia. There was an American group with the same name which is why they had to slightly change their name in other countries. 'Mirror In The Bathroom' was their second biggest hit in the UK (#4) behind a cover version of the Andy Williams song 'Can't Get Used To Losing You' (#3). I used to have most of their singles and a couple of their albums. 'Best Friend' is my favourite song by them, followed by 'Mirror In The Bathroom' and 'Too Nice To Talk To'. The latter appears to have been their biggest hit in Australia though with a #73 peak it didn't exactly set the charts alight.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:38 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Morning Weekenders

Who likes dolls? I do, well sort of. I have a 12-inch 60s style (repop) GI Joe. He is a peacetime soldier.

On sale Now! Get your Madame Alexander Eloise for the low low price of $5,000,000

Old 08-05-2023, 05:54 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

^
excellent!

Last video clip from me. This one is from October 1979 so is just before the early 1980s timeframe I set for myself this morning when playing some largely forgotten songs. The Stranglers are still going though with a different singer and the keyboardist and the drummer are both now dead. This song is about the then Premier Of Queensland, Australia, the controversial Joh Bjelke-Petersen.

Nuclear Device (Wizard Of Aus)

Old 08-05-2023, 06:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

although wikipedia says they were called The British Beat in Australia
They could have been called that elsewhere - each state capital had its own distinct ‘scene’ in those days.
Always English Beat to me and my mates tho

D
Old 08-05-2023, 06:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’ve never heard that before.

D
Old 08-05-2023, 06:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Captain I hope you feel better soon. Definitely take advantage and have a couch day. My son just had COVID for the third time. He is fine. Somehow my husband and I have not had it. Kind of hate saying it don't want to tempt fate.
Robbie I have heard Morror in the Bathroom but not all the others. Thanks for giving me a pep in my step before I go play tennis. I love 80s music. Going to see The Psychedelic Furs and Squeeze next month.
least hope your blood replenishes soon and you don't \feel too weak from it.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Ugh, pushy sales people are the worst, Least….I can’t stand them either!

Stay close Alpine….hope you are able to enjoy your weekend

Hi everyone
Old 08-05-2023, 07:42 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
Robbie I have heard Morror in the Bathroom but not all the others. Thanks for giving me a pep in my step before I go play tennis. I love 80s music. Going to see The Psychedelic Furs and Squeeze next month.
I love Squeeze and saw them in concert a couple of times in the 80s. I don't know much by The Psychedelic Furs other than their big hit 'Pretty In Pink' and a couple of other singles that they released.

My era for music is from around 1976 to 1986 so I love to listen to a lot of music from then.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Zen--I used to have some Madame Alexander dolls, I collected them, not that one of course, lol.

I remember The English Beat, but not any songs, and I love Squeeze, saw them years ago with Elvis Costello. Glad they are still together.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Afternoon Weekenders

CaptainHaddock, hope you’re soon fully fit from covid.

Robbie, good lively music.

Zencat that’s some expensive doll.

I was never a doll person as a kid. Pretty as they were. A robot doll would e been good though. My brothers toys always were more interesting than mine.

A bit under the weather still. I’m getting there…as they say.

Good to see everyone