Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Glancing in the Rear View Mirror - Weekenders 26 - 29 May 2023

Notices

Glancing in the Rear View Mirror - Weekenders 26 - 29 May 2023

Old 05-30-2023, 02:40 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That cold turkey thing was the lamest attempt at a joke EVER! I really should edit myself sometimes.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:44 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Dragon I was also just recently told that I’m pre-diabetic….having to cut back on sweets but also the sugary drinks….I don’t drink soda very often, so I thought I was doing ok with the Publix deli or Arizona green tea….until I looked at the labels….yikes! Had to cut those out too….stupid labels!
Old 05-30-2023, 02:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Way, way too much sugar in so many things in this country.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:59 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Saou, I was a bit slow there!

Many processed foods and drinks have so many hidden chemicals and other stuff. Mr. Mags is gluten and dairy intolerant since his gall bladder removal surgery (doesn’t happen to everyone, other factors involved I should wonder), anyways I check the ingredients constantly in all we are going to buy. There often seems too much salt and sugar in them. We’ve learnt cooking from scratch is the best option.

A lot cooler here now. That hot day or so was just a bolt in the blue methinks.

Have a good sober day. Shout out if you’re struggling. xxxx
Old 05-31-2023, 01:25 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 241.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:39 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
That cold turkey thing was the lamest attempt at a joke EVER! I really should edit myself sometimes.
That was an excellent joke, loved it. In fact, I'm going to use it today.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:39 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Venus, I agree as to there being a lot of sugar in a lot of things.

Purps, I used to drink a lot of tea to help with the hangovers.

STDragon, for most of 40 years I've loved my work and couldn't imagine wanting to retire. That's no longer the case.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:43 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I got the joke, too, Sao!

We are fully into summer here now, after having had snow only a few weeks ago. It's going to be above 90 degrees (F) for at least four straight days. It really cuts back on how much exercise I can do outside, but it's fine weather for cruising around in my convertible. Can't complain.

Things are still moving forward with the sale of the man friend's cabin. There were a couple of days when he thought he might back out of the current offer, because we can't really get everything done by the closing date they wanted. But it seems they might be willing to give us more time for getting everything moved, and to do some repairs they want. We still have to hear back from the realtor. It's SO much work. And my older daughter is selling her house and moving soon, also. I'm trying to help everyone. I can only do so much. I need to set some boundaries. Or I'll find myself exhausted and vulnerable to the AV. So far, so good. I just know myself, and I'm most vulnerable when stressed and tired.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Yes, I liked the joke too Sao!

I had fun and games this afternoon, assembling a foldable exercise bike I've just bought. The whole thing came in a flatpack, cardboard box. Multiple pieces that not only have to be assembled in the right order but which also have to be able to take my weight and to actually work properly. I managed to get it assembled though it took 3 hours - one of the reviewers on Amazon boasted that they managed to assemble the whole thing in an hour. At some points it was apparent that two people were needed to make things easier but I didn't give up or give in. It was a frustrating experience but now it's all assembled and actually seems to work properly I'm actually quite proud of what I've managed to achieve. I wouldn't say patience got me there - I was talking to myself and cussing at one point - but perseverence certainly helped. Good bike too and it's certainly better than the mini-exercise bike I bought a couple of years ago which I no longer felt comfortable using.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:56 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done Robbie, three hours doesn't sound too bad given all the potential for things to not work on something like that. Is it one of those fancy ones with a monitor?
Old 05-31-2023, 12:53 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Well done Robbie, three hours doesn't sound too bad given all the potential for things to not work on something like that. Is it one of those fancy ones with a monitor?
I wouldn't call it fancy (though it does have a monitor) but it is a good quality one and weighs 18kg, about 40 lbs, so it's not a cheap build. It cost me £145 as there was a £25 money off coupon. I had contemplated rejoining the gym after having cancelled my membership in early 2020 (just before COVID lockdown, in fact) as I was never going. However, I decided that it would probably be a waste of money as I doubt I'd stick with it and I was largely going in the end just to use the bikes. As my local gym costs around £30 a month I reasoned that I'd be saving money by October. It feels good to when i'm using it. It's not quite up to the standard of what you'd get in a gym but it's a very good, and much cheaper, alternative.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:02 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well, I'm finally done sorting and organizing my file cabinet. . My problem now is finding someone to take these 50s and 60s Look and Life magazines. I called ck and asked if any of her co workers would like to have them since the library doesn't take them. I don't want to get rid of them since they are pieces of US history.

I cleaned out my coat closet too, and am going to run the vacuum next.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice work getting exercise bike together, Robbie. I wouldn’t know where to start after opening the box!

Marty, we can tend to put others first and exhaust ourselves doing it. I know you’ll charge your batteries first before they get too empty.

Least, good of you to see if you can recycle the magazines for using.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:51 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ne-2023-a.html (It’s okay! It’s just a bad day -Weekenders 02-5 June 2023)