Notices

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day -Weekenders 02-5 June 2023

Old 05-31-2023, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being a bit of a drama queen (in the past) meant that a bad day was a big deal. It caused stress and I looked for reasons why is this happening to me?

And inevitably gave me another excuse or reason to drink.

I’ve realised, as the years move on and as my sobriety gets stronger, that a bad day is just that, a bad day. Life isn’t all rainbows, sunshine and light. Sometimes there are stormy days.

Could be the moon above, could be some bug I’ve picked up, or a distant memory, and then again it could just be my mood.

Accepting that today isn’t that great, sometimes for no reason and putting it down to just that, can keep the AV (addictive voice) from niggling at us too.

There are brighter days ahead.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for the formatting issues - website is being a bear right now.

D
Old 05-31-2023, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Dee. Much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dee, I saw nothing wrong with the formatting. Thanks for always helping out.

I am not going to call shotgun this week, so it's up for grabs.

You are so right about a bad day being just a bad day, not a whole lifetime. When I was drinking I became depressed all the time and everything felt like a bad lifetime. I had no hope of ever feeling happiness again.

Thanks to sobriety, I no longer feel hopeless or depressed. My life isn't perfect, and I'm working on myself every day, but it's so much better sober - simpler and more peaceful. I don't miss drinking at all, in fact the very thought of drinking brings a feeling of nausea.

Getting sober was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It took some effort, but was worth it completely.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Least. Good to see you!
Old 06-01-2023, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In for a sober weekend. and ❤️
Old 06-01-2023, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags (and Dee). I'm IN for a sober weekend!
Old 06-01-2023, 12:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As no-one else has done so, I'll call SHOTGUN!
Old 06-01-2023, 01:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun Robbie! And Hiya

Hiya Leigh
Old 06-01-2023, 01:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Not getting drunk this weekend ...or any other day will reduce the number of bad days. I don't have a scientific formula for that but it's true. Being drunk or hungover a lot of the time made me less proactive and fatalistic, consequently there were more bad days. It's stating the obvious but doing and saying regrettable things whilst intoxicated increases that number even more. When you have had a bad day you can either confront or address the cause of it or you can accept it an reach for the bottle. When you're addicted to alcohol the second option will win out every time.Towards the end of my drinking years I didn't even bother using bad days as an excuse.

Thanks for the OP Mags/Dee.

In the 1970s, thanks to a combination of my surname and a sarcastic teacher, I acquired the nickname 'Martha' at school. With that in mind here's a rather fabulous clip filmed at Ford's Dearborn plant in 1965. Somehow I can't imagine this being allowed today (I notice too, not a high-visibilty jacket or mask in sight, health and safety did not seem to be a priority in those days) A great song, Mustangs and a singer with my name, (almost) what more could anyone want?

Old 06-01-2023, 01:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’ll do another sober weekend too…..Thanks everyone!
Old 06-01-2023, 02:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, I sent an email to the Recycle Bookstore here in SJ asking if they would be interested in buying any or all of my 16 old magazines. If they are, I'll get rid of them that way.

I found some fly catchers online. 36 sticky pads that you hang up where the flies are. I hung four of them today and there are already lots of flies on them.

Time to go to bed.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Least, I hope the flypaper works. I've gotten the similar sticky tape that you hang from light fixtures or whatever. It seems that as flies get stuck, more become attracted to it.
I feel the same as to getting sober being the smoothest move I've ever made.

Sao, I haven't heard that song in a long time.
Your first paragraph is exactly right.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In for the weekend. Pledging for today. Day 242.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee, I’m in.

Hello everyone, good early morning from “way up high”.

When I was actively addicted, I thought a bad day was that I was a bad person, or did something to deserve the bad day.

In my sobriety, I’ve learned I’m NOT a bad person, but I sure did cause most of my own depression and angst.

Not a day goes by, that I’m not thankful for all of you here, for me not quitting quitting, and my freedom from the death grips of alcohol.

I have had some bad days, and sometimes whole bad weeks, or I’m just down in the dumps. I’ll contemplate possible causes, (usually negative thoughts playing in my head),,but if there’s nothing obvious I can do or change about it, I’m confident the happy meter will swing back again.

Today I remembered that I don’t feel like puking, and I remember the whole night last night. I know I took good self care of me, and my soul.

The simple things, are so good.

Mwuah to all ♥️🤓
Old 06-01-2023, 03:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

In for the weekend. I've had my share of bad days this year. It's all sunshine and rainbows (without the rain) from now on, otherwise, I'm going to have to stomp my foot. Mrs. D is beginning to warm up to the idea that we may have to bring the cat's home, if I build a cage. I'd like to make it an indoor / outdoor run if I can make the space.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon I was just thinking yesterday it would be nice if you could have your dad’s cats. ❤️

Old 06-01-2023, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
I'm in for a sober weekend
I reckon I could have won academy awards for being a 'drama queen' over the years Hahaha
It was like some tragic film where everyone ends up totally sick of the main characters BS, along with the main character!

Dragon if you were a few thousand miles closer I'd happily adopt your dads cats.
What a lovely addition to your family.
I'm thinking of visiting a shelter soon and having a look - I'm scared I'll end up with a whole farm LOL
The last time I went to the RSPCA some of the dogs had poems on their kennels which made me tear up - it's dangerous!
Old 06-01-2023, 02:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Our local pet supply stores has adoption dogs on the weekend and I can't go or I'll be thinking about one of them all the next week.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee for the thread. Perfect timing....

Today has been an odd day at work. Both of my bosses are away on leave and delegated some management tasks to me to complete in their absence. I did my best but they didn't go well - subcontractors frustrated, customers frustrated etc. etc. as a result. I'm now worried that I got completely the wrong end of the stick when my I took down the instructions... So, not the best day.

What I can say though is that it would have been a whole lot worse had I been drinking (or hungover) and for that I am very grateful. As my Mum always says, 'tomorrow is another day...'. Quite true!

Warm wishes to all Weekenders as always. Forwards.