Notices

Situational Depression in Sobriety

Old 05-13-2023, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Situational Depression in Sobriety

I hope everyone had a good week, and is enjoying their weekend so far. It's early, so we have the entire weekend, still. I haven't been sleeping well in the past couple of months. I quit my job for a new job that did not work out, and ended up back at my previous employer. It's nice to have some semblance of a routine again.

BUT. I found a lump in my breast that had me go to the doctor for a diagnostic mammogram, and a breast ultrasound. All was well in the breast of concern, but in the right breast, they found some abnormalities that they wanted to biopsy. I went to my biopsy appointment, and fainted so they couldn't collect a sample. They had to reschedule to 5/18, so here I wait. Does anyone on here have experience with breast biopsies? They had me sit in the chair with my breast under the mammography machine, they made the incision, inserted the needle, there was a punch sound, and I fell out.

Aside from that, my partner forgot that I was having a biopsy that day. I woke up, ate some graham crackers and peanut butter, had some apple juice, and the nurses all did a wonderful job at caring for me. I looked at my phone and my partner had sent me a message asking me about some cover letter he needs help writing. I called him when I left the hospital radiology department and explained what had just happened. He was for the most part speechless, and did not ask me how I was doing for the remainder of the day. When we got home, he said he hadn't asked because I had sounded really upset on the phone. I explained that it hurt! That I don't understand not caring enough to know how your partner is doing, regardless of their affect on the telephone prior.

I truly dislike complaining each time I come on here, but I feel it's a safe place to vent. I don't have a lot of friends that I feel comfortable venting to, so I do it here, and on another recovery site.

Any words of encouragement or experience is greatly appreciated <3 Thank you all for being here.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I’ve had 2 very close friends go in for biopsies on breast tissue that appeared/felt abnormal. In both cases they were diagnosed with fibroids, which are non-cancerous.

Certainly, there are no guarantees that all is well until the tests are completed and analyzed, but I know that many cases result in completely benign results. It would be a challenge for me to put worry aside in a case like this, but, from an outside perspective, I can see nothing achieved by fretting.

Perhaps you can make a certain amount of peace with and a plan for the worst case scenario, (“I’ll cry, listen to the Dr., get a second opinion, start with the oncologist’s recommendations, see my spiritual leader, read up on healthy nutrition, etc….). A plan would help my mind settle.

As far as your partner being supportive….. I’m sorry that he wasn’t able to be there for you when you wanted him. My partner is lovely and serene and loyal and kind and spacey and sometimes slightly dull. He doesn’t always give me what I want, but he’s also a terrible mind reader. For me, if there is respect and kindness in the relationship and I am disturbed, I try to look at my needs and his abilities with an eye towards supporting him without denying myself.

I have found that many of my needs are better met by my friends, children, family, and therapist. That’s just me, though! I have found that feeding my resentment about my partner’s response (or lack, thereof) just makes me more unhappy, while accepting his reasonable shortcomings (as he accepts mine) makes me more serene.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes Windpines, that is some crappy stuff to have happen specially the lump and biopsy. It is certainly worth a vent and this is a good place to do it.

Please take good care of yourself and keep getting through the day as best you can. Also let us know how you get on.

(((windpines)))
Old 05-13-2023, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you had to deal with all that. Personally, I can't imagine forgetting that my partner was having a biopsy. I'd be more worried than she was, but then I'm kind of a worrier, and she's not.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a breast biopsy done. Did you mean that the biopsy was done while you were in the mammogram machine? In my case, I had an ultrasound done after the questionable mammogram. At that time, they pinpointed the spot. Then the surgeon marked the spot, inserted the needle and drew out a sample for testing. I didn't find that it hurt much at the time, but afterwards, it was a bit painful. I'm sorry that you fainted. Do you think that now you are aware of how the procedure works, it will be a bit easier for you? I'm also sorry that your partner forgot about the appointment and that he didn't seem concerned about how you were doing. A little understanding would help.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk about it.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WP

I’ve had other biopsies in my legs and they were like Anna described.
It can be scary of course while you wait for results but a biopsy like this is generally a straightforward and simple procedure.

I’m hopeful for you for a good result, just like the other one was.
It’s good that your doctors are being proactive and looking at something early, rather than ignoring it until later

As for your partner - we men can be odd creatures. Maybe he’s actually scared too, maybe he didn’t want to say the wrong thing, or maybe he’s got a bit of denial going on.

Maybe he’s a doofus -I don’t know

All my good wishes thoughts and prayers for a good result this week

D
Old 05-13-2023, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Windpines I've had a biopsy on my breast. It was fine they were just fibroids and non cancerous. I don't remember the biopsy hurting it just felt like someone was pulling on my breast, it was a bit strange but things like that don't worry me too much so I can't relate in that way.
At the time I worked at the hospital and also knew the breast care nurse who looks after best cancer patients so she was able to put my mind at ease about what the lumps felt like..
I do understand the anxiety and worry over it because nothing is certain until those biopsy results come back. It scared me into quitting smoking back in 2019. I felt another lump the other day and nz is doing free mammograms so I need to go and get another one but I'm not totally happy having my boob squashed and radiated..

I think sometimes our partners don't know how to deal with emotional things so instead keep a distance..

I hope you can get the courage up to go back and get the biopsy done again..