Notices

If AA etc is not for you

Old 01-26-2023, 04:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Mine was the the easy way for women to stop drinking, i got mine from Amazon but as i understand it they all have the same theory.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I received an email from the ebay seller that the book was no longer available, and he asked if would like a similar book by Carr, both about recovery, and no doubt there is a lot of overlap, but I wanted the one discussed here so we would be talking about the same thing.
Carr died in 2006 but the books have been reprinted, retitled, and in some cases, updated or expanded by person or persons unknown.

The basic ideas run through them all, I’d wager.

The book I read (from the library) was the rather unfortunately titled Easy Way to Control Drinking (it didn’t suggest moderation…the point being there was no upside to drinking any amount of alcohol at all)

D
Old 01-26-2023, 06:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The basic ideas run through them all, I’d wager.
I would think so, but the order was cancelled and money refunded. I've got my eye on another one right now. There are plenty of them around.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I would think so, but the order was cancelled and money refunded. I've got my eye on another one right now. There are plenty of them around.
Well, ebay sellers are generally reselling books they find in thrift stores or garage sales, so there's that.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I didn't realize he died in 2006
Old 01-27-2023, 06:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

AA or any recovery method is not about willpower. It's about establishing a support system and learning to use it that will keep you safe and sane because the alcoholic obviously can't do that on their own otherwise they wouldn't have ended up where they are. Anything that uses those outside tools to fill your existence with serenity will bring about recovery. Everything else is white knuckling it, hence "will power".
Old 01-27-2023, 10:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Allen Carrs book is a great asset too my toolbox
Old 01-28-2023, 05:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gcesp View Post
AA or any recovery method is not about willpower. It's about establishing a support system and learning to use it that will keep you safe and sane because the alcoholic obviously can't do that on their own otherwise they wouldn't have ended up where they are. Anything that uses those outside tools to fill your existence with serenity will bring about recovery. Everything else is white knuckling it, hence "will power".
Yes, I think the "Without Willpower" part of the book's title is kind of a hook to get semi interested people to read it, because the first concern an alcoholic will have when confronting the idea of sobriety is that it's going to require an eternal battle of willpower beyond one's endurance for the rest of his life. Staying drunk might seem like a better option.

There was some white knuckle will power in play for me, and while it was intense, it was for an amazingly short time. And you are absolutely right, recovery is not about will power. Meaningful recovery is about making simple choices, experiencing gratitude, self confidence, pride, and not going out of your way to get drunk. Will power, while intense, accounts for 5% of the early process. The rest is just becomes a smooth sail in gentle and inviting waters. For alcoholics, the notion of will power is exaggerated to a point beyond the reality.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yes you can't rely just on willpower and not wanting to drink, we have to have a plan of action every single day especially in the early days.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I received the book from ebay yesterday (finally). I'm on chapter 4. Good read so far.