Notices

Memory problems

Old 01-06-2023, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Memory problems

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing as best you can on this part of your journey.

Looking for a bit of insight from you all on memory.

First, to give you a bit of background, after drinking every day for 12 to 14 years I’ve been gradually reducing my drinking days over the last 4 years or so (talk about prolonging the pain, I know!). Last year I was sober for 6 months out of the 12 (and mainly only weekends on the months between sobriety), and this year I’m pleased to say I’ve committed to 12 out of 12.

Anyways, I have an absolutely terrible memory. Recalling events, peoples names, people’s very existence for that matter. I read things and forget them almost instantly 😩. I’m now certain it must be down to the amount I’ve drunk over the years.

I am really hoping that this might improve with time? I’ve been sober for 3-4 months previously with no noticeable improvement.

What are peoples experiences with memory? Good or bad.

Thanks so much in advance for any contributions.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear that you've decided to stop drinking permanently. Your memory might improve as you get into long-term recovery. My memory improved when I stopped drinking. But, I'm older and I have moments when I forget why I walked into a room. I find that mindfulness helps me to focus so I remember meeting someone new or reading something in the news. I also depend on making lists.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, dear DJ. s

I truly believe that our bodies and brains can heal over time with continuous sobriety. I know that was the case for me.
At this stage in my life, in my late 50s, my memory is the best it has ever been.

I wonder if there are memory games you might enjoy. There are so many of them out there designed to improve memory function.
And perhaps this is something you feel comfortable discussing with your doctor; there are lots of ways to improve our memories, and docs have a pretty good handle on this stuff.

Just my thoughts. ❤️
Old 01-06-2023, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi DJ. I drank every day for many years, & when I finally quit (nearly 15 yrs. ago) I noticed after about 6 mos. I was much sharper. This was after quitting completely, though. I'm sure there's a good chance you will have improved memory as you continue to heal.

Glad you are here with us & committing to sobriety.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DJ

I'm sure you understand there is unlikely to be any improvement while you are still drinking....further diminishment is the only thing that can bring....the extreme end case, alcoholic dementia or 'wet brain' is not a myth.

Having said that I drank for 20 years, the last 5 years all day everyday and my memory and cognitive abilities took a while to come back - but they did. I have a good memory

Like Anna I can still forget what I was looking for when I come into a room, and I can forget names, but I think that's normal aging.

D
Old 01-06-2023, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am known for my almost photographic memory.
I can remember events that took place when I was 8, 9, 10 years old and know what I was wearing, where I was, who I was with, the weather that day etc etc.

When I drank heavily I suffered blackouts and of course there were complete mysteries and no memory of what happened.

I have been sober for nearly 11 years.
My memory is still the same now.
It can be curse at times because my memory seems to be constantly bombarding me with past events. Some are really mundane.

You don't mention how old you are.
Could it be the ageing process?
Have you checked with a medic if the reason for your memory loss is connected to drink?

I don't know where you are in the world, but in the UK we have memory clinics in hospitals.
They assess patients for a whole range of reasons why memory might be a problem - acquired brain injury, certain neurological conditions etc.
Stress can also have a massive impact on memory too.

I don't want to scare you, but perhaps it might be worth getting confirmation one way or the other that 1. yes your memory is poor and 2. yes drink caused it.

There could be another underlying reason other than drink that might be treatable.
If it is drink, then yes at least you know.
To connect the 2 without reliable medical assessments, might mean something is missed.

I think as drinkers, 'we' tend to put every ache and pain down to drinking and alcohol and avoid asking for medical help.
I know I did.
I was constantly checking side for an enlarged liver and for yellow in my eyes.

I also was reluctant to reach out for help because I didn't want my doctor to know about my drinking.

I had to have some blood tests in the summer of 2021, including liver function.
I kept putting it off and the doctor asked me why?
I also asked if I had caused the health problems myself although I didn't mention the drinking.

He got really frustrated with me and in the end I said the reason I am reluctant is because I used to drink too much and I am scared I have damaged my liver and caused this myself. I've stopped drinking for now 10 years.
He said your last 6 or 7 blood tests from over the last few years, show your liver is functioning normally. You have NO problems with your liver at all and you should be proud of yourself. Well done. The disease you have is genetic and 100% you can not get this from drinking alcohol.

I cannot tell you the relief I felt.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, most appreciated. I’m feeling hopeful things will slowly improve memory wise.