Notices

What is the best part about being sober

Old 12-18-2022, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the best part about being sober

Hi all So I am really proud of myself... I really wanted to drink yesterday and today and I didn't.... I got through it and I feel on the other side... I know it will come again... But I also know now if I don't give in the feelings of wanting to check out with alcohol will subside eventually ... I am always curious what everyones favorite parts or favorite memories and "aha moments" ... to being sober.... I will start.... I know that today if I drank I wouldn't have had as meaningful conversations with several friends or if I did I would feel sick and exhausted by now... goingto bed feeling dehydrated and nauseated .... Today I am thankful for all of you, my friends, my cat and not drinking.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Things I love about sobriety:

1.) Shame is a thing of the past. I have nothing to be ashamed of. I’m proud of my conduct.
2.) My family and friends can depend on me.
3.) Sometimes, when running or singing or writing, I get these “shivers” of joy that SHOCK me with beauty. It’s like God’s breathing on the back of my neck - right beside me.
4.) Solid sleep.
5.) Possibilities. Freedom. Promise. Adventure.
6.) Opportunities for service
7.) Trust in my own intuition and emotions

Typing this out, I’m seeing that pretty much everything is better. I can’t think of a single thing that is worse. How can numb compare to AWAKE?
Old 12-18-2022, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The most noticeable was I gained back my self confidence. In the days before I quit, I was a timid shell scared out of his mind. He's ten I could list more.

1. Anxiety and panic attacks gone
2. Great sleep
3. Clear mind
4. Freedom to leave the house without fearing a DUI or worse
5. Hobbies were fun again
6. Clean house and hygiene
7. Sober mornings and not in a rush
8. Job performance night and day difference
9. Relationships improved both working and personal
10. Suddenly had "free time" and more money in the bank
Old 12-18-2022, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The facility I went to for treatment had a poster in the common area, when I first read it I thought it was propaganda to make us feel better. In the almost 13 years since, I have found that it was true. The poster was the ninth step promises from AA:

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

Hang in there, AJ. The most important part of the promise are the last five words. Do whatever you must to avoid drinking (and whatever other "isms" were part of your past) today, and seek out those who have managed to stay sober and change their lives for the better. Sobriety is not magic, it's the result of daily effort - but worth every minute of it.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2022, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't say "the best" part cause there are so many good things about living sober.

I like:

Sleeping better

Wake up feeling good

No regrets

No longer hate myself

Take really good care of my critters

Gratitude has made a huge difference in my life
Old 12-18-2022, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
The most noticeable was I gained back my self confidence. In the days before I quit, I was a timid shell scared out of his mind. He's ten I could list more.

1. Anxiety and panic attacks gone
2. Great sleep
3. Clear mind
4. Freedom to leave the house without fearing a DUI or worse
5. Hobbies were fun again
6. Clean house and hygiene
7. Sober mornings and not in a rush
8. Job performance night and day difference
9. Relationships improved both working and personal
10. Suddenly had "free time" and more money in the bank
Yes to all the above. Funny, sad rather, that I drank to get rid of panic attacks caused by alcoholism..... Paid $$$$$ for therapist, psych meds et cetera for years when all I had to do was stop drinking.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So many great things as have been mentioned.
The thing that amazes me though is that I trust myself and can rely on myself to make good decisions… for the first time in a long time I actually like me.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

When I get pulled over by the Cops, I know I'm not going to jail ❗
Old 12-19-2022, 12:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The best part about being sober is continuing to learn
how to be the best person I can be not only to myself
but to others around me. Healthy, relatively happy and
honest.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Each time you win over the AV, the pull towards drinking again becomes less intense. It becomes more reduced to certain triggers or events, but when you win over them, they loose power over you as well.

Too many positives from having quit to mention them all. Those mentioned so far are great. A few biggies as follows:

No more tsunamis of guilt and embarrassment at things done or said.

There is a possibility for growth that was not there before.

There is a feeling of self worth and confidence that was not there before.

As has been mentioned, thoughts of avoiding a DUI, or worse, are not paramount in my daily thinking.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So many great thongs have happened since I became sober but I think my favorite is the clarity and ability to become the man I have always wanted to be.
You can have the whole world at your feet but if you are not happy with yourself none of that will help.

I was unhappy with myself for a very long time.
I still have work to do but this guy is a Much better Me.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJ143143 View Post
What is the best part about being sober?
I know you are looking for a specific and I could write an almost endless list, but I don't think I could prioritize them to determine the "Best." But rather than a specific, the first thing that popped into my head was that "Sobriety is its own reward." I know, I know, that sounds like I'm trying to sound like an insufferable guru, and some may even disagree, but that pretty much describes my journey, original motives, and my ongoing outcome.

First came my original intent. I just wanted to get out from under the control of a useless dangerous chemical agent that was making a fool out of me. I didn't care about fixing the rest of my life, becoming closer to a god, finding a soul mate, or advancing in my career. I just wanted out of an intolerable frightening situation. When being attacked by a bear, you're not thinking, "I wish I had a better relationship with my wife." You just have to get away. And that's all there is at that point in time.

And so it was with me and alcohol, and after a few weeks of abstinence, when I realized, I would never have to drink again, I floated up to that pink cloud as some of us do, and I basked in that for months. I had accomplished something big. I had gotten what I wanted. I've said many times, if that's all I got, I would be 100% satisfied, as I was at that time while riding that billowy pink cloud.

But it doesn't end there. It becomes apparent that repairs and innovations are required, and so you continue. Now there are other things, more specific in nature, but too many to number and too many that I haven't yet discovered. But few of them would be possible to do or find drunk. That's why I like "Sobriety is it's own reward." It's an experience that opens almost unlimited possibilities, things to pursue and things to discover. I don't know where I'm going. I'm on a lovely journey without a destination.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are so many benefits to being sober.
No more regret. No more self induced shame. No more struggle with alcohol. No more sounds of alcohol bottles clanking in the recycle bin. No more embarrassment. No hangovers. I mean, the list goes on and on. Each day is a new day for self discovery, mastery, and for conquering the challenges placed before me. Never be defeated is a motto that plays on repeat in my brain.

We are doing this!
Old 12-19-2022, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I don't know where I'm going. I'm on a lovely journey without a destination.
Man, that's awesome DriGuy. Sums it up perfectly for me..
Old 12-19-2022, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The best part so far is that I feel like I've been a more present Father. Hard won and so much more yet to do, but worth it.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just like you I am still very early in my sobriety, but I’ve definitely noticed change in these last 13 days!

No hangovers

No tremors

My cleanliness improved

Improvement at work

Peaceful sleep

The ability to have conversations during the weekend

No embarrassment going to the gas station early
am

Just like you also, JohnToon, I feel like a present daughter, friend, and employee

PATIENCE

My dog is also a lot happier as I pay attention to her now.

The list goes on but overall I’m a happier person. If life has turned around in 13 days I can’t wait for the future. I have so many goals and all along I was my own worst enemy.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There are so many great things about being sober. But one of my favorites is being able to be there for my people 24/7. Now on the rare occasion I have to wake up and chew leather at zero-dark-thirty, I can do it with a clear head and with no fear. I'm the guy to call and my friends and family know it. I friggin love that.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is kind of a secondary or even tertiary level effect but I love that I can be authentically me....and be ok with that.

D
Old 12-19-2022, 08:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

So many good posts by members here which reminds me of one of mine ah-ha moment: I can not get sober alone in a box. I need YOU to help me get and stay sober. I have hope I can help others like my gracious peers are helping me stay sober.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” - ?

You fellers rock!
Old 12-19-2022, 08:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
nez

The quiet calm confidence that comes with knowing t that I have all the tools I need to handle whatever comes down the pike at me in life; knowing that I have the ability and strength to utilize those tools to react in a sane healthy manner.

Today I walk a free man. A free man that relies on tools, instead of a man with an unhealthy reliance on crutches.