Notices

Tomorrow is Day 3.... thank god

Old 12-09-2022, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is Day 3.... thank god

So thankful I get to wake up tomorrow at day 3.... I am out of the crappy fog ( except for the the crying over my breakup) the last 2 days I have eaten well, drank a ton of water.... and allowed myself to feel disappointed. I am out of the fog and ready to fight for this.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! It’s a victory when we can finally eat, and our mouths aren’t as dry as the Sahara.

I have to share that back in April I had gone through a pretty rough breakup up too. The guy lived with me, and just decided to shut down one day. I was completely devastated! This was the first time I had given somebody myself in almost four years. I loved him or so I thought.

Well the first thing I did was get plastered. Obliterated!! This was again a time where I was going to get pints of vodka at 7am. On top of my heart falling to pieces I was out of my mind drunk. I’d wake up praying I didn’t leave my dog in the dog park, or wreck my car into my neighbors. I came to SR crying for the umpteenth time. I didn’t have a plan other than I wanted to stop. Long story short I didn’t and I continued the same path. I don’t miss him, my heart doesn’t hurt, but I’m still a drunk. I now banged my head hard enough (literally) to want to love myself. Only day three for me but I now want to change.

You will get through the heartache I promise. Stay strong my friend
Old 12-09-2022, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
Congratulations! It’s a victory when we can finally eat, and our mouths aren’t as dry as the Sahara.

I have to share that back in April I had gone through a pretty rough breakup up too. The guy lived with me, and just decided to shut down one day. I was completely devastated! This was the first time I had given somebody myself in almost four years. I loved him or so I thought.

Well the first thing I did was get plastered. Obliterated!! This was again a time where I was going to get pints of vodka at 7am. On top of my heart falling to pieces I was out of my mind drunk. I’d wake up praying I didn’t leave my dog in the dog park, or wreck my car into my neighbors. I came to SR crying for the umpteenth time. I didn’t have a plan other than I wanted to stop. Long story short I didn’t and I continued the same path. I don’t miss him, my heart doesn’t hurt, but I’m still a drunk. I now banged my head hard enough (literally) to want to love myself. Only day three for me but I now want to change.

You will get through the heartache I promise. Stay strong my friend
Thank you so much for this... For me I have never had a problem eating ... sometimes it is a plus and sometimes I think it is a good thing... But today I was back to healthy food from the farmers market and the health food store .... But for some reason I have never not eaten even in day one... I have come to realize that my drinking may not be as heavy as some others.... it is a problem all the same so I am not taking away from that but I usually drink for a day or 2 before stopping again and it typically is no more than 4 or 5 drinks... so while I am for sure have my issues with alcohol and hate my relationship to it and I am very ashamed of how and why I drink... I never drank enough at a time to take away the want for food... Sometimes I wish I could actually work on my want for comfort foods more ... but I have realized that is for another season and this is enough to battle right now.

Congrats on day 3!!!! We are doing it. I am sorry you went through the heartbreak too... I went through a divorce 2 years ago that was tough as beep ( insert bad word )... and I did see a therapist for over a year weekly for it. I guess I just figured that 4 months wasn't long enough to be as attached as I became. I am proud of myself that I didn't reach out to him through my slip up drinking but I find myself even in public, even on my walk today.... where tears are just running down my face. I don't know why I assumed this breakup would be easy.... maybe it was the length of time I was with him.... or the relief of not getting yelled at anymore .... or the fact that it wasn't a divorce.... but it feels like it hit me much different than anticipated .... Thank you for your kind words.... we will get stronger everyday. It feels so good to be out of the headache zone and watching TV with a candle lit and anxiety gone.... I think I have to be ok with not being ok and learn other ways to self soothe for when the pain hits... cause it will again... crying helps but I am feeling frusterated that it hasn't lessened. I need to have pateince with this heartbreak I think. Thank you all again
Old 12-10-2022, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One day at a time 🙏
Old 12-10-2022, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep going, AJ and Takeaction, you can do it. Good work.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Back in the ring having thrown the towel in absolutely.

It's a great feeling.

Well done AJ. Day 3 is a momentous day! Keep going.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic, AJ. I hope Day 3 is going well and I'm glad you're feeling good.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 3 is going really well as far as the not drinking thing. No desire to drink. I do still have a desire to numb just not with alcohol. I think I’m so grossed out by alcohol at this point. My mother who I have a relationship with that triggers me a lot (she has always been more of my child then the other way around it seems)… called me for an hour and a half today… she is highly irresponsible with money and was letting me know that again. There is a lot to that but all for another day. My ex husband called me high as a kite … which triggered pain…. I got a $1,000 random medical bill in the mail ( from something my insurance should have covered)… just on and on. I guess I could just laugh … there are plenty of other stressors that have been huge the last few days and I tend to isolate when I feel overwhelmed. I mean I go on runs and put myself in nature and get done what is necessary in terms of responsibilities but goodness I feel like I sometimes have nothing left. I also feel like I’m being a baby complaining when I know how much worse it could be. I’m just in the I want to scream stage today. Instead I cry. But I haven’t drank. Nor have I even thought about it. Almost into day 4.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Life has a way of throwing things at you when you quit - you really start to realise just how often you used to turn to drinking to 'deal' with something.
The more hard things you do sober, the more your need to turn to alcohol will diminish AJ
Old 12-10-2022, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you created a plan for your recovery?
Old 12-10-2022, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Life has a way of throwing things at you when you quit - you really start to realise just how often you used to turn to drinking to 'deal' with something.
The more hard things you do sober, the more your need to turn to alcohol will diminish AJ
Thank you Dee... Since I have quit 5 times now I have enough time away from drinking where it is finally starting to sink in
Old 12-10-2022, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you created a plan for your recovery?
I looked into smart recovery... It is not for me.... the format.... I ordered every book under the sun... ( well 5 of them)... I don't know of my plan yet. I have a call into my insurance group on Monday to see what I am covered with for something medically related to I am going to ask about mental health as well. I would like 1 on 1 therapy to deal with stressors.... Most of my friends actually don't drink so it isn't a huge think in my social circle... I plan to stay away from dating as that tends to trigger me.... ( both the high points and the low points make me want to drink) .... I don't like AA for personal reasons.... So I am still trying to think about my plan... I suppose it is this as of now....

1) Look for and start going to therapy with a therapist that is in my network so it is covered by my insurance so I can go often
2) Just not drink
3) Don't put any other diet pressure on myself
4) Finish my coursework to transfer at work ( I have a chance to make really really good money by April)
5) Workout ( but I always did that )
6) I would LOVE to add meditation... it is something I have dabbled with for a long time but was never consistent enough with it..
7) Build my relationship with God again. I think this is really important to me. I am missing that feeling I have when I feel connected in god and trust in the universe.

Thank you for asking that question. It really got me thinking
Old 12-10-2022, 11:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Number 2 needs to be thought-through more thoroughly......
Old 12-11-2022, 01:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Number 2 needs to be thought-through more thoroughly......
agreed. I was just trying to be truthful on where I’m at in my head
Old 12-11-2022, 02:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJ143143 View Post
I looked into smart recovery... It is not for me.... the format.... I ordered every book under the sun... ( well 5 of them)... I don't know of my plan yet. I have a call into my insurance group on Monday to see what I am covered with for something medically related to I am going to ask about mental health as well. I would like 1 on 1 therapy to deal with stressors.... Most of my friends actually don't drink so it isn't a huge think in my social circle... I plan to stay away from dating as that tends to trigger me.... ( both the high points and the low points make me want to drink) .... I don't like AA for personal reasons.... So I am still trying to think about my plan... I suppose it is this as of now....

1) Look for and start going to therapy with a therapist that is in my network so it is covered by my insurance so I can go often
2) Just not drink
3) Don't put any other diet pressure on myself
4) Finish my coursework to transfer at work ( I have a chance to make really really good money by April)
5) Workout ( but I always did that )
6) I would LOVE to add meditation... it is something I have dabbled with for a long time but was never consistent enough with it..
7) Build my relationship with God again. I think this is really important to me. I am missing that feeling I have when I feel connected in god and trust in the universe.

Thank you for asking that question. It really got me thinking
Sounds like you have a good idea what doesn't work for you. So now you want to concentrate on finding out what does....

I like your plan. Execute it and see how it goes then you can make adjustments if you slip up. Post here and tell us how you are doing.

One suggestion - I'd consider getting rid of step #2. I don't see that as part of the plan necessarily. That's the goal, but your plan should be steps you are taking to help achieve that goal. Unless I am not understanding why you put it in the plan and if so for that I apologize.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Checking in, day 16!
Old 12-11-2022, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 4.., feeling good. Aside from eating like a piglet yesterday (a bit nauseated from that). I feel good. Off fir a run
Old 12-11-2022, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great work and keep going, exercise has been huge for me just creates a protective shield against drifting thoughts of boozing. Almost reduces it to non existent and I find that I have more clarity in my thinking and do a positive action after the run
Old 12-11-2022, 09:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy1984 View Post
Great work and keep going, exercise has been huge for me just creates a protective shield against drifting thoughts of boozing. Almost reduces it to non existent and I find that I have more clarity in my thinking and do a positive action after the run
me too . Aside from day 1 I have been working out everyday. I will today too. I ate pretty healthy the first 2 days. Yesterday I just wanted pasta, cheese, cake. Lol. I had a huge salad too but I just overdid the bad food. I had a moment. Well a lot of them. lol. Day 4 feeling good. I’m about to get coffee and head out for a run. Thank you
Old 12-11-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4!