Notices

One year

Old 12-04-2022, 02:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One year

Today I reach 1 yr sober. This has happened before, last time it lasted another 8 months or so, but this time it’s different. Here is why.

When I decided to quit for good one year ago it was only partially because drinking was out of hand again. The real reason this time was because I truly wanted something else for myself.

I had a taste of what that something else was, because over the 20 months I spent sober before, I started a full on recovery process, one were I decided to live life as my true self. I changed jobs twice, I revived old hobbies, started new ones, gave up some, kept others, got divorced, got engaged. Everything changed and this really helped.

But it wasn’t enough and I still drank again. I didn’t know it at the time, but something bigger was needed.

I was never religious and I’m still not, but I almost accidentally discovered and accepted something bigger than me. My religious friends call it God, my spiritual friends call it the universe, the AA crowd call it a higher power. I don’t know what to call it.

Whatever I found, it gave me meaning, peace, and it took drinking out of the picture, completely.

Before, the central narrative of my life was one way or another always linked to drinking. The focus was either to function with it, or to live without it.

Don’t get me wrong, to focus solely on staying sober is essential to start with, but addiction is smart. We discover some tools for the situations we understand, only to later find a new way to be tempted into drinking.

Although what really got me out of this seemingly endless loop was this “something bigger”, the process to get there was through changing the small things, the easy ones first, then the difficult ones. The something bigger, whatever it is, I’m 100% confident it was a consequence of that process.

In other words, I didn’t need to keep finding new tools, I needed to find a new me.

I know I still am and will always be an alcoholic and an addict. But I’m also a lot more than that, and sobriety is allowing me to not only see that, but to also believe in it and live accordingly.

My best wishes to everyone and I hope (and I know) you can also find a meaningful life in sobriety.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!! Your post is really thoughtful. Have a great day.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!
My 1st year was just getting through sober.
My 2nd year was spent trying to figure out how to live the rest of my life. That is where I am now.
I see what I want, it is close. Breaking old patterns and mindsets is a difficult process for me but as long as we don't drink and do The Work it will come.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Congratulations, Mr. PL. Thanks for this. It’s eye-opening to recognize sobriety/recovery as an ongoing, adaptive process.

Recovery is not an achievement. It’s a flexible lifestyle that must grow as I grow. And God is at the center for me, as well.

Be well!
-TC
Old 12-04-2022, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Coingratulations!! Good to see you again!
Old 12-04-2022, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year sober.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
I didn’t know it at the time, but something bigger was needed.

I was never religious and I’m still not, but I almost accidentally discovered and accepted something bigger than me. My religious friends call it God, my spiritual friends call it the universe, the AA crowd call it a higher power. I don’t know what to call it.
I had something like that. I call that thing that is bigger "embracing a new life and my own ability to make a serious commitment, rather than useless half measures."

God, Universe, and Higher Power are words to describe something bigger without the labor of articulating this vital change. Yes, there is something bigger. It is a bigger side of ourselves inside of us that is vital to breaking the addictive cycle and being serious about it. We must tap it, and that's more important than naming or describing it. But it is there in us.

I never bothered trying to name that bigger thing until now, and putting words to it doesn't really matter. You just find it, and know it's right. Whatever I found, it gave me meaning, peace, and it took drinking out of the picture, completely... Although what really got me out of this seemingly endless loop was this “something bigger”
My goodness. That's almost exactly what I just said, which I could have avoided had I read your whole post before I started responding. It's a difficult thing to articulate, which is why we can keep telling others what to do, and nothing happens until they find that "bigger" thing on their own. It's in us.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on a year of sobriety and a new outlook on life!
Old 12-04-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Super DUPER!

Thats a big deal……. Maybe come see us on “Overs”.

🎊🎉🥳🎊🎉🥳🎊🎉❤️🎁🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Old 12-04-2022, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year!
Old 12-04-2022, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats PL on a year sober.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know I still am and will always be an alcoholic and an addict. But I’m also a lot more than that, and sobriety is allowing me to not only see that, but to also believe in it and live accordingly.
Yes, I love this! In early recovery, I focused a lot on the fact I was an addict, and I had to begin to see beyond that. Congratulations MrPL.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year sober MrPL
Old 12-04-2022, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a great post!! Thank you 🙏

Spirituality is a beautiful thing. A spiritual awakening has enabled me to live a sober life too.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post and 🎊 congratulations 🎊
Old 12-04-2022, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations again, dearest P. ❤️❤️
Old 12-04-2022, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done, MrPL.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations MrPL.