Notices

Natural Products to help Sobriety

Old 10-25-2022, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Natural Products to help Sobriety

Hi All

Day 11 going strong.

At the moment I am using Milk Thistle to help cleanse my liver. I wonder what other people on the same journey as me are using ?

Kenneth
Old 10-25-2022, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kenneth, it's always best to talk to your doctor before taking any kind of vitamins or supplements. People react to things differently and it's always a concern if you're taking other medications as well. I take vitamins that my doctor suggested years ago. Drinking lots of water throughout the day works well for me.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's no harm in doing things that are generally regarded as healthy everywhere: enjoy lots of fruits and vegetables, not too many processed foods, not too much caffeine, not too much fat, keep everything mostly in balance; follow these simple guidelines but don't obsess about doing it perfectly, just enjoy simple foods for the simple pleasure of eating.

Congrats on 11 days, too! It took me literally years of trying before I ever saw a day 11.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kenneth, well done on day 11. I might be able to save you some money here. The liver’s the only organ that ccan regenerate. I had a fatty liver which was cured (and that’s the right word for it) in 8 months, and all I did was stop drinking. The doc said it was great I’d lost weight and ate healthily and such things, but these were almost insignificant compared to the results I got from quitting alcohol. Spend the money on healthy food or a new hobby. Your liver will be fine.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will second what Hodd has said and congratulations on 11 days. I was classified as obese every organ was under pressure and all from the drinking, no exercise and the usual bad choices of food i was making.
After a doctor visit it took 7 months to turn it around. A complete change of diet (most of all the not drinking alcohol) and exercise and i had a clean bill of health including my liver. The main exercise i do is to walk.
Good luck Kenneth and congratulations again.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We aren’t allowed to speak of meds of course, but I used time, water, exercise, tea, crying, sleeping, reading, posting on an online support group (here), and more time distance each second, minute, hour, day, and eventually weeks between me (my poor soul) and my last drink.

Welcome!

If you are looking for advise on supplements, as a health care worker in the United States, it’s at your own risk for supplements. Believe it or not, their contents and claims ARE NOT regulated or censored in my country.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, I also used candy, licorice, cookies, chips, ice cream, and just took care of myself including indulging as if I was healing from horrible illness (addiction). I was. I am.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can always go down to your Natural Health food store and ask to speak with a wellness clerk. Some health food stores have Naturopaths on staff or other employees who have had extensive training in supplements and herbs, etc. Its worth checking out.

I personally use various supplements and herbs. Its improved my quality of life.

Congrats on your sober time.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
You can always go down to your Natural Health food store and ask to speak with a wellness clerk. Some health food stores have Naturopaths on staff or other employees who have had extensive training in supplements and herbs, etc. Its worth checking out.

I personally use various supplements and herbs. Its improved my quality of life.

Congrats on your sober time.
Thanks all for the great support
Old 10-29-2022, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Natural is a scam. Pee and poo are natural would you want to consume those?

Herbal supplements are completely unregulated. Remember that even FDA approved products are not exactly safe but they are studied to the point where their effects, risks and benefits are mostly (but not completely) known. "Natural" stuff is a total loose cannon in that it could be anything. Best case scenario it's harmless but overpriced grass clippings and often that's all your getting.

There is no liver cleanse save taking good care of it as in avoiding drugs or alcohol and not overdoing it on pain meds like tylenol and keeping normal weight. If anything other than obesity and excess alcohol, one of the top causes of liver damage IS natural/herbal products usually containing weight loss, energy, focus or testosterone enhancing products that do work but in more ways than intended.

Old 10-29-2022, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time. I tried for years to be fit and healthy while drinking like a fish. Needless to say, it didn’t work.

I’m a fan of various teas, mint for upset stomach, green for all the well-documented benefits, camomile for relaxation, dandelion for overall health. Nice and gentle is now the approach I strive for in all things. A healthy diet, regular exercise, checkups and appropriate screenings, and time for healthy habits to do their work.
Best wishes!
-bora

Old 10-29-2022, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello Kenneth

Have you thought about consulting a herbologist and having a discussion of "natural remedies" suggestions from the Herb Peeps with your GP doctor?

Herbs have been used for thousands of years to treat all sorts of illnesses. The empirical evidence is very compelling along with real health-improving results. As written on this thread no FDA regulation. IMO In the US, pharmacological peddling is MASSIVE in government. We are the "pill pusher" industry bedfellows.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Free.

Hi Kenneth.
I used Milk Thistle too. Was also prescribed some thiamine for the first two weeks.
The nicest thing, I think, about taking something healthful in is the feeling of moving forward. When I took any sort of supplement I felt encouraged because I was now working toward a better health for myself.
Better physical and emotional health, even if in the smallest measure.
I still feel that way when I take a multi-vitamin.
It is encouraging to be building our healthfulness rather than destroying it.
Every little bit counts.

Congrats on what is likely day 15.

Keep posting.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
Hi Kenneth.
I used Milk Thistle too. Was also prescribed some thiamine for the first two weeks.
The nicest thing, I think, about taking something healthful in is the feeling of moving forward. When I took any sort of supplement I felt encouraged because I was now working toward a better health for myself.
Better physical and emotional health, even if in the smallest measure.
I still feel that way when I take a multi-vitamin.
It is encouraging to be building our healthfulness rather than destroying it.
Every little bit counts.

Congrats on what is likely day 15.

Keep posting.
Well saidSo much healing to be done with abstinence. Mental and physical.
I'm excited to feel well again
Old 10-29-2022, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kes

Hi,

My Doc has put me on thiamine tablets, 100mg a day. I also got vitamin injections in detox (hurt likr mad) that was to help my body and brain functions.
Before taking anything ask your doc first!

Good luck
Old 10-29-2022, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For me, Milk Thistle, Multivitamin and Bittermelon capsules helped. I saw a significant decrease in sugar cravings with Bittermelon.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Water

Drink it instead of anything alcoholic