Notices

Horrific dreams

Old 10-05-2022, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrific dreams

I know I am really early in recovering, but I just started taking buspar(anti-anxiety) and the dreams are horrific and sometimes violent.

It doesn't happen every night. Last night was the worst one with my failures on the job front coming to life in a violent dream and images of my mom who passed away in 2014. Extremely disturbing.

I have done a quick google search and it looks like I'm not alone but wondering if anyone else has horrible nightmares either on this medication or in general.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a few horrific hyper real nightmares in early recovery AD but they faded after a few weeks.
If you think the meds might be a factor there’s no harm in getting some import from your doctor?

D
Old 10-05-2022, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I just called my doctor and left a message.

I believe its the trio of trazadone, lexapro, and the buspar that's causing these issues.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kes

Hi,

I posted a similar thread a couple of months back and got a lot of responses. From what I understand, it can be meds related but is also common in recovery without meds. Your brain is in turmoil wanting more poison pumping into it, which it has been used to for years. My nightmares have become less and less frequent with time. Also, worth looking up (on google) the meaning of your dreams. Most of mine were common and to do with drastic chenges in life and uncertainty, which is so true when kicking.

Just a thought.

Hope they subside and BW.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol disrupts the body's sleeping. In recovery, those dreams, to me, seem to be part of the recovery process and the brain re-learning how to work (and sleep) without alcohol. This is where the horrific dreams come from. I was on no medication and had those dreams. Some were so frightening and real that when I would open my eyes, I was still in the dream as it was happening (like a really bad nightmare movie).