Notices

natural

Old 09-27-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Earthshine2112 View Post
If it seems like I was attempting to open a debate, that's your misunderstanding of the post. As for "fragile newcomers," I am one. I came on here and shared my mental block, my thought process, what I struggle with. I am not interested in debating with you or anyone else.
I notice some people don't even read through the thread - they just post their reaction to the initial post. But most are well-intentioned and point out that just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for us.

Your thought was fine, and interesting, in terms of the "natural" aspect, but it is undoubtedly influenced by your AV. The voice of our addiction that wants us to keep drinking. Mine is extremely devious, frrequently playing off aspects of my OCD and obsession with dates to encourage me to quit at a later time.

Good thing you spotted that one hiding in the weeds, and waiting to attack!
Old 09-27-2022, 01:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
I could always think of reasons to drink; but recovery has shown me that there is not one single thing that alcohol can do for me that I can't do for myself. And in recovery I have discovered that the things I thought alcohol could do for me, I can actually do those things better sober, than the alcohol "helped" version of me ever could.

Yeah some of those things took work and practice, but what doesn't? Alcohol covered up and masked my fears, insecurities, and inhibitions. Recovery took all of those away and replaced them with a clam quiet confidence that comes from being comfortable in my own skin and with just being me.

I can talk to people better. I can ski better. I can dance better. I am not afraid to die, but more importantly...I am not afraid to live!!!
makes perfect sense that
Old 09-27-2022, 01:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If the Lindy effect suggests the longer something has been around the longer it will endure, it follows that we've been sober longer than we've been fermenting alcohol.

Therefore, sobriety is the natural way to go!

Point is to make it enduring.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
nez

I notice some people don't even read through the thread - they just post their reaction to the initial post.
My reaction to other people's reactions contains a wealth of information concerning my thought processes if I am open to investigating and digging deeper into those processes. :~)
Old 09-27-2022, 02:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let’s not make this a thread about other peoples responses - too meta

I don’t think you came here for debate Earthshine - I think you came here for change, and that’s a good thing.

As a drinker I could’ve rationalised for the Olympics… hindsight has a way of sharpening focus tho…the only thing that matters is my drinking very nearly killed me so I stopped.

My body thanks me, my mind thanks me, my life thanks me.

I’ve never regretted that decision

D

Old 09-27-2022, 05:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

As I always say alcoholism has two components.

A physical allergy to alcohol and an obsession to drink it.

Mankind will probably go on for many generations eating strawberries. Some people are either born with or develop allergies to strawberries. Most of them will not eat strawberries. They don't go to meetings, they don't get rattled if offered a strawberry short cake, they just don't eat strawberries.

When I start drinking something happens to me physically and i can not control how much i will drink or how i will behave. More often then not in the old days drinking seemed to work out in my favor. Then the allergy got worse. It use to be worth a hive or two for delicious fresh strawberries. Then they lost their flavor and a few hives turned into more serious symptoms. (Thats just an example im not allergic to anything other then alcohol, maybe children)

That first night that i threw up from drinking as a 14 year old was great. I bounced back up the next morning and I couldn't believe the magic that I had experienced. I could finally deal with people. I could be comfortable in my own skin, in my own head. I had found a sense of peace that had escaped me for most of my short little life up to that point. I didn't know that I just received an obsession to drink that would control many of my decisions for decades to come. Or to borrow a little from the big book, it would come back like a boomerang and cut me to ribbons.

Alcohol will most likely be part of western culture for many more generations. So will strawberries and peanuts and shell fish. Those foods are fine for most people but some have to stay away.