Notices

Relationship between alcohol and depression?

Old 08-01-2022, 04:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The short term lift, if you can cal lit that, pales into insignificance when you related it to the long term generalized misery that alcohol provides-
Old 08-03-2022, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know this sounds completely crazy, but I actually feel scared to say goodbye to alcohol for good, forever. Has anyone felt the same feeling?

It has been my "shield" against depressive thoughts, social isolation and soxial anxiety for over a decade (since my youth). I drink and I'm capable to socialize, be happy, approach women, make friends. I wouldn't even know how to do it without?

The next day I always paid a hefty price (hangover with anxious and suicidal thoughts and craving more alcohol again). But maximum 1 week later I drank again because I craved this good feeling so bad. This kind of instant relief.

I made a few calls today and actually got an appointment at a new psychiatrist, but only in October.

I just honestly don't understand how the majority of people can handle this dangerous chemical? They have 1-3 drinks and simply stop, how the hell can they do it while I can't?

I genuinely don't understand how this drug is not getting hold of other peope?
Old 08-03-2022, 08:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nez

I actually feel scared to say goodbye to alcohol for good, forever. Has anyone felt the same feeling?
Oh hell yeah. It was my go to for years, how was I going to handle life without it. The prospect scared the bejeezus out of me. Turned out that life is not as terrifying without it...as it was with it.

I just honestly don't understand how the majority of people can handle this dangerous chemical? They have 1-3 drinks and simply stop, how the hell can they do it while I can't?
All I need to know is that I can't. Doesn't matter why. I don't live other people's lives, I live mine. Knowing that I can't handle alcohol makes my life way easier and a lot more enjoyable. The question now is...why did I have to waste all of that time and effort to prove something that was never ever going to happen?

If you want a chicken to be a duck, and a duck to be a chicken, you will suffer.
Ajahn Chah

Old 08-03-2022, 09:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us ask why me?

I still don't know why me - I have a genetic component but no one in my immediate family seems to suffer the way I did from my drinking.

I used alcohol and other drugs in a destructive way - but I have mates who went harder at it than I did, some of whom are still doing that, but they don't seem to suffer the way I did either.

why? dunno but I'm glad I stopped

All I know is I never drank in a healthy way - I was always looking to get wasted.
Oblivion was my medicine, my barrier against a life and a me I hated.

The obvious answer was to change my life and my perception of myself - but it took me 20 years or more to realise that and make it happen.

D

Old 08-05-2022, 08:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The obvious answer was to change my life and my perception of myself - but it took me 20 years or more to realise that and make it happen.

D
May I ask at what age you quit and was there any particular event that made you go sober for good?

I understand that I'm one of those people who absolutely have to go for a life long sobriety. I just simply don't understand how in a scientific way it is possible that the majority of people are capable of using this chemical in a controlled manner? Why aren't they all becoming addicts like us?

I have no negative genetic or childhood upbringing whatsoever and yet I'm still stuck on this vicious alcohol cycle. I have no explanation for it.

I just started drinking during high school with depressive thoughts at the same time and with every year passing it got more out of control.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit at 40, I am now 55.
I was a round the clock drinker by the end - I sailed past other things that have stopped others - loss of career, loss of relationships, health concerns - and kept drinking.

It was only after hitting my head once to often and then having several mini strokes that finally convinced me.
Of course most people don't need that level of a wake up event.

Some people have suggested books to read - I think some of the scientific answers you want might be found there.

At the end of the day tho, If you were susceptible to gluten intolerance, you'd change your diet.
Why should alcohol - the alcohol that is a marked factor in your depression - be any different?

D