Notices

3 years - Identifying the tricks

Old 07-07-2022, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 years - Identifying the tricks

I would like to write something really deep or beautiful or meaningful to convey my gratitude to the community here and to contribute to someone else's sobriety. The truth is others do that much better around here and I can only share what worked with me, in case it helps someone getting out of the horrible dark place alcohol can takes us to.

My life has been much better but nothing dramatic happened during my alcohol years so nothing very visible can be reported either. I quit when everything was falling apart but beore it became fully apparent to others. I have great discipline & managed to keep repeating the same behaviours that allowed me to keep my kids fed, my house clean, my job done on autopilot. All this despite the anxiety, the palpitations and the passing out everynight before the 3 am awakening to the horrors of the new promises of not drinking I knew I was not going to keep and as prelude to the hangover to battle through until the next drink.

One morning, on a 7th July 3 years ago, the anxiety and the palpitations were so brutal at 7 am I realised I had to drink to stop it. I had to accept I needed to drink at 7 am to stop the withdrawal. Or... I could quit. I took seriously the obvious truth that you cannot expect different results from the same actions. The thing I was not willing to do ever was honesty. I could not face telling my husband I have been drinking daily every night and passing out for years. The shame! So I sent a text to him explaining it all and then went to my doctor. The doctor treated me horribly but it did not matter because the bigger step, the coming out wiht the truth, the only thing I was not willing to do to become sober, was taken.

The first week was horrible, mainly due to auditory hallucinations and the anxiety. I spent my day here, did the 30 days alcohol experiment on-line religiously, read/listen other books and did 30 minutes daily of CBT with a 'CBT for dummies' book. It has taken me years to sleep well but I have never slept so well as now. It took months to notice significant improvements in my anxiety. My marriage was disentegrating and I had no energy to fix it either but it has been fixed eventually.

I was going down a massive hill at tremendousl speed. When I quit drinking, the downhill trajectory immediately stopped but it has taken a lot of time and work to have the kind of life I thought would happen within weeks. Like people who put on massive amount of weight over years and then want a fast diet that will sort it out in 2 weeks and leave them toned and strong instead of accepting the necessity of years of good nutrition and hanging skin.

I like myself quite a lot now and I am patient with myself too. I know I can improve much more and look forward to it. My resting heart beat per minute was about 80 (even more) when I quit (so scary to even think of it). Now it is around 50-55. I celebrated my three years going for a run and making pancakes for the family .

It may take time to feel big improvements but every day, from day 1, even with withdrawals was better than a drinking day. Being in the right trajectory matters much more than any milestone.

Thank you all, especially Dee, for all the support.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your three years and thank you for sharing your honest and inspiring story BAS:

It really helps to see that this can be done, and to have realistic expectations along with hope—
Old 07-07-2022, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was a pretty meaningful, beautiful and deep post if you ask me. Straight from the heart.

Congratulations on 3 Years!!

Thanks for posting
Old 07-07-2022, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this, Back 🙂

I like myself quite a lot now
It’d sound funny to a lot of people, but I definitely get it. Thanks for a great post, and well done.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Backandscared - I loved every word of your post, & can relate to all of it.
It was when I realized I had to drink 'round the clock to avoid shaking & nausea that I was forced to make my decision. I had talked myself out of quitting for years - always thinking how boring & dull life would be without it. (Even as I was slowly killing myself.) As you said, it takes a bit of time to receive all the benefits of our new life, free of the poison. I drank for decades & it was part of everything I did. I was disoriented in the beginning - but gradually I knew I would never go back to a life driven by when my next fix would be.

Thank you so much! Your words will help many.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post! Congratulations, and FWIW, you sound honest to me.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thankyou for sharing your wonderful post. Its an inspiration to all.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 07-07-2022, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Really enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing your story and insights.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for the inspiring post, Backandscared. Congratulations on your hard work and 3 years of recovery.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, for what I regard as a beautiful and meaningful post. It has helped me a great deal today. I'm sorry you were treated so poorly by your doctor, but you persevered.
Congratulations on your hard work and three years.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the continous encouragement and kindness. No expert, doctor or setting can be as useful as the community of those who have suffered and/or continue to suffer from the many darksides of alcohol addiction.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post BackandScared. It's an honest and inspiring post and you have come so far in the last three years. Congratulations on three years of sobriety.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Back- Great post and I'm sure it's going to help lots of people, myself included. Thanks for posting it and congrats on 3 years.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on finding your authentic self. Such an inspirational post. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks for a beautiful and meaningful post. . And congrats on three years sobriety.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 07-07-2022, 10:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wonderful, and thanks for sharing. Very touching and honest post that is VERY inspiring.

🥳🥳🥳🤩🤩🤩🤩🥳🥳🥳.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 3 years Backandscared. Love your post.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 years sober 🙏