Notices

Compared to a Year Ago.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Compared to a Year Ago.

I just wanted to share something that happened for the first time in recovery. I'm a year, and four months sober. I'm actually dating someone who is sober as well, and he has been for four years. The first year of sobriety was pretty incredible, but the brain fog was so thick, it took a while to lift.
On Saturday, the person that I'm dating and I took my daughter to the skating rink. I didn't really want to go, I just wanted to spend time with the two of them. My daughter was on the verge of begging, as she had never been before, and wanted to find out what it was all about. We got there, and I hesitated. Put on skates, and go out onto a rink with quite a few other people, and NOT have a panic attack? Panic attacks and anxiety were a huge part of my story while I was drinking. I had both daily. I was painfully shy, and anxious. Putting on a pair of skates and going out to mingle with the crowd, and go around and around is not something I would've done. We wouldn't have ever even come close to a skating rink. There was no alcohol there either, which was really something to see. I'm supposed to do this sober??
I hesitated at the gate, and my date spoke up saying he'd skate with my girl. Wow! I was waiting for my anxiety to sky rocket, but nothing came. They got onto the rink and the only thing I could feel was excitement and curiosity.
I rented a pair of skates and joined them on the rink! I cannot believe that happened. After ten minutes went by, I was flying around and around, enjoying every minute of it. A Saturday evening, sober at the skating rink with my daughter and with someone who is becoming quite close to my heart. In a million years, I wouldn't believe that this could happen to me. On a Saturday night a bit over a year ago, I was a mess. Skating is not something that I'd just say yes to. Do they have alcohol? How many people are going to be there? What's the music level? Do I even have the funds? If I have the money, do I REALLLLLY want to "waste" it on skating? How much booze am I going to have to funnel down my throat before I can even say yes to this little girl, begging to have a normal life? Who am I going to get to drive us down there?
This is incredible. For those of you who don't think you have it in you, or who are feeling stuck on the cyclical ride that is alcoholism, I wish you a hand to hold. I wish for you that you can find your strength too, and come out of the darkness. It's a beautiful life.
It can be hard and messy, and irritating and frustrating when you're first stepping out of the muck, but man, when you do, are you in for SUCH a brand new life. The gifts just do not stop coming. To show up and be present is the absolute greatest gift of all.
Every day is an absolute miracle.
​​​​​​​We're the lucky ones <3
Old 07-04-2022, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Loving it, Windy. We somehow become much more interesting people when we quit drinking. A lot of us do things now we wouldn’t have dreamed of or been unable to do as drinkers. And the cost? As you say, it’ll never cost as much money as booze.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never skated on an ice rink, but there were four roller rinks in my youth, and it was quite popular with many of my friends. I would go with classmates, or girlfriends, and in Boy Scouts, our troupe would invite the local Girl Scout troupe, or whatever they call a bunch of Girl Scouts. It may seem like an odd Scouting event, and it did to me, but it was fun.

The reason my troupe did it so often was because our Scout Leader was a good skater. They would have "All skate", "Couples only", and "Singles only", but a couple of the skates during the afternoon or evening would be "A Waltz". Out of a mob of 50 or 100 there were usually only 4 or 5 couples good enough for that. My Scout Leader would grab a woman his age that he probably new from years at the rink. No one really felt left out during "Waltz only," because it was breathtaking to watch the experts whirl and twirl their way around the rink in perfect control.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I love the things I can do now that non-drinkers take for granted.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. You convey so well your massive miracle. It has made my day
Old 07-04-2022, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on changing your life WP. For your daughter, and for you.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a lovely encouraging post, thank you!
Old 07-04-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Windy, thanks for the great post. I hope you continue to enjoy ice-skating.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your great post WindPines. That's a massive, positive, change from just a year ago.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

👍👍
Old 07-04-2022, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on a wonderful experience!

Thanks for posting.

I know that way of thinking... ("do they have alcohol there?") It's so nice to not have to worry about that when making plans.

Being present is a great gift.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post WP -congrats

D
Old 07-04-2022, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic job, WindPines. I remember when you were first here. What a change for the better!
Old 07-04-2022, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had anxiety very very very bad when i was drinking. It was a huge mess. I still have anxiety, a bunch of it, but since my mind and body are stabilized, I have gotten used to it and now things are better.

Not totally better, never totally better, but better.

This site helps so much. We can type about I booze/drug issues and it helps.

I can't talk about being a drunk in public etc. Folks just don't get it, unless they get it.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lovely post, thank you!
Old 07-04-2022, 11:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time 🙏