Notices

What do you drink instead?

Old 05-31-2022, 04:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Coffee in the morning and then water. If I'm eating out it will be a coke or more likely lemonade.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have been to some very nice restaurants that will do non-alcoholic pairings, and in my opinion, they were better than any wine I ever had.
I drink lots of sparkling water and I don't, like others, really see it as replacing alcohol. They also make non-alcoholic spirits that you can mix with fruit juices that are very healthy, but I've tried them and I think the fruit juice with sparkling water is just as tasty.
If you really, really loved to drink when you ate I'd be careful with that.
I'm in the club where I would drink and then once I ate, I was done drinking. I'd personally be very cautious with "replacement" beverages.

But about restaurants, many do amazing non-alcoholic pairings with tasting menus that are wonderful and also healthy. Hope that helps. Feel like I rambled, LOL.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Diet Coke
Old 06-01-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tea; water; and hot chocolate, at night, before before bed.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This thread comes up now and then, but I drink kombucha. I enjoy the deeply complex and sour/tart flavors and trying different brands - and it's my primary method of getting probiotics to help treat a myriad of stomach-related issues.

Not for everyone, though, since kombucha can have trace amounts of alcohol in it. It's not a trigger for me, personally, but it might be for others. For instance, I refuse to drink "near-beer" or N/A-wine because my brain expects alcohol when I drink it, whereas kombucha I associate with health/wellness/sobriety, so it works for me!

Ohh and I have coffee every morning. Usually a four-shot latte (though I'm trying to cut back and drink coffee at home more, because my coffee-shop bill adds up pretty quick ).
Old 06-01-2022, 09:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

At home coffee, tea, water and Hot Chocolate.

I am out I will have a lemondade, coke or a mocktail if I fancy it and it's a nice bar.

Don't drink fruit juice that often.

I do want to try the Guiness AF they released. I was going to pick up a pack in the supermarket the other day but didn't. Heard really good things.

Sometimes I do like to have an AF drink available just in case I fancy it. I don't drink them often, but it can be nice to drink something different, particularly if there is a sporting event on. But my go to is usually a nice big mug of tea.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

^ Sounds good, Prim. I remember as little as 10 years ago, UK pubs looking at my wife in disbelief if she ordered a hot chocolate in the evening, even in the depths of winter! They’ve got their act together now, and it’s no longer a hassle to order a coffee in a pub. I’ve gone off AF in the last year, but I can now get hot drinks in pubs (not that I go often).
Old 06-01-2022, 11:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I’m flying long haul in a few days, and the airline offered me an upgrade (in exchange for a few hundred £). Last time I upgraded was as a heavy drinker, and I was a kid in a sweet shop from take off to landing! This time, I’ll save my money and sit with the hoi polloi at the back 🤣
Old 06-01-2022, 12:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Flavored seltzer water on ice
Old 06-01-2022, 12:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

coffee, sparkling ice drink(water), fresca, celsius(fitness) drink, and sweet tea.

I also get crystal light packets. I will drink some red bulls but not every day.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I always drink around 500ml of water every morning after i wake up. Then it will be a cup of strong coffee with a little sugar in it. I don't like artificial sweeteners. At work it's water and more water, maybe another cup of coffee after lunch. My kryptonite is Dr Pepper, i can drink it all day, but i try to only drink one can a day.

Since i started focusing on being sober and improving my health, i have avoided sugar as much as possible, so the Dr Pepper is the only thing i'm drinking that's bad for me, but i've been good at limiting it to one a day. I drink tea in the evenings to help me relax. There are a lot of tea blends that i have been trying.

I used to be a huge wine drinker 6-7 years ago and the pairings are amazing, so i understand the connection with food. Thankfully i haven't really been into wine much in years and i never liked to drink beer with food. Seems i've always preferred to drink iced tea with lemon. But once the food is done and my stomach settled, it was game on.

I too have been enjoying food more, now that it's a priority instead of getting drunk. I used to eat some very odd things late at night after drinking. The next morning i would see the dishes and wonder what i was thinking. Now i have a little menu that i follow and eat something flavorful that is also light. I've already lost 5 pounds in two weeks, but that's not just because i quit drinking, my appetite has been in the gutter.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Unsweetened Tea. I make a pitcher like every other day.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Water out of the tap at room temperature.

We get water through high country (mountain) snow melt filtered by several hundred feet of lava rock. It's probably one of the best water on earth.

Makes good coffee and tea but I prefer it without anything.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I drink Kombucha for a little treat in the evenings sometimes. I know many say to stay away, but I’m ten years sober and I’ve never had any kind of a draw to it. I also drink lots of water. Mostly green tea at night. If you have any stress, green tea seems to melt it away.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
I drink Kombucha for a little treat in the evenings sometimes. I know many say to stay away, but I’m ten years sober and I’ve never had any kind of a draw to it. I also drink lots of water. Mostly green tea at night. If you have any stress, green tea seems to melt it away.
People will always have advice based on personal experience, but ultimately everyone has their own journey. Bottom line: if it causes cravings or poses a risk to your sobriety, don't do it. If it adds to your health/well-being and quality of life and poses no risk to your sobriety? Enjoy.