Notices

How do you stay vigilant?

Old 05-28-2022, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am on day 27 today! I have to be honest that my resolve has weakened!
How do you stay vigilant when your last miserable drunk fades from your memory?
I need to remember how desperate I was for that first day of sobriety! Is this a problem for anyone else on here?
Would love to hear what works for you!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Quitorelse View Post

How do you stay vigilant when your last miserable drunk fades from your memory?
You can't rely on your last drunk to keep you sober. You don't have to remember how desperate you were for that first day of sobriety!

You only have to remember you don't drink anymore. Period. And if you haven't committed to never drinking again, do it now.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, the last miserable drunk didn't really fade from memory. It becomes a distant memory, and is much less in your face as an important reminder. I think it's important to understand vigilance is not about needing "in your face" ugly memories. Vigilance is more about remembering, or taking to heart that any thought of having a drink must be rejected pronto, whether you are afraid of it or not, whether you are having "an in your face recall" or not. Vigilance does not depend on fear. It's a habit of being ready to make the "no drink" choice, whether it seems important or not.

Not sure if this helps you, or if I've communicated adequately what I think it means to be vigilant.

Edit: What Carl said!
Old 05-28-2022, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Log on to this website and spend time in the "newcomers section." Read what other's are going through and share your experiences that might help them.

What always scares me are the DUI stories. It's a miracle that I was never pulled over when drinking and driving. Between the ages of 18 and 50 I drove thousands of miles in an altered state. Many times I drove with one eye closed so that I wouldn't see double.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

I stay vigilant through honesty. Simple, easy, nothing to remember. When I quit drinking, it was because I wanted to with every fiber of my body and soul.

I reached the point that I didn't want to drink but I couldn't not drink. I pushed through that point with the help and support of other people who had faced the same thing in their lives. I made it to the other side and got what I wanted. I don't want to drink and I can not drink.

The hard work has been done. Now it just takes honesty.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heya Quitorelse, I hope you are finding some useful answers here. You may well invent some of your own methods.

Part of staying vigilant must partly lay in turning to others as you did here. Kudos for that.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Quito, let’s be a bit more positive first You’re 27 days sober so doing something right.

Once you’ve got done a bit more sober time under your belt, being vigilant is more of an occasional thing. It’s not as exhausting as it sounds. You develop a sixth sense and avoid certain situations and certain people.

27 days is brilliant, but it is quite early days. You’ll need to be that extra bit cautious for now.

Now, as it seems you’re not giving yourself enough credit, can you list a few positives from your 27 days such as no hangovers or better health? Can you now build on that and take up a new challenge or activity? It’s time to build on your good work, realise you’re on the verge of cracking this and move on and up.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I have a deep desire for authenticity. I didn't like (or even recognize) myself when I was a drinking person. I lied, acted out of character, and lost the respect of my children. What keeps me vigilant is the commitment I've made to never drinking now, which is quite plainly and simply a prerequisite for being true to myself.

O
Old 05-28-2022, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you! I needed to hear this!
Old 05-28-2022, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read here every day and posted to help others.
I didn’t want to forget my last drink…I couldn’t afford to forget.

Every time the idea, opportunity or thought of a drink occurred to me I said no.

I knew I would never change with regards to drinking, it would always be bad.
The way I used to drink would kill me, and any return to drinking would not be any different.

Never confuse abstinence with control.

D
Old 05-28-2022, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in the I do not drink anymore crowd.
I say it and mean it.
No matter what my AV says or tries to twist doesn't matter.
I don't drink anymore.

27 Days is Great!
It is early though. Sounds like the AV is trying to convince you maybe it wasn't really that bad.
This time will be different.
BS
Don't fall for it.

WE Do Not Drink Anymore
Old 05-28-2022, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know now, that no matter how much I con, pretend, delude, rationalise to myself that one drink will be ok, it will not. Never, ever. I know this now, and my 'vigilance' is born from this knowledge.

It will kil me. Or turn me into an idiot, whichever comes first.

I don't want to die as an idiot. I know this now, and will never drink again.

Also, a real desire to live life on life's terms. I like to grow now. It's the best thing to ever come out of stopping.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I come here first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
I remind myself that drinking just is not something that I do.
I remind myself that each time I took a significant break from drinking, when I returned the desire was stronger and the quantities larger.
Personally, I know I had to be in a certain frame of mind before I could even try to stop, and it wasn't a state I could just choose to be in, I had to wait for it to surface and then seize it. It was always months if not years between these feelings (of desperation maybe?). December 17th last year was the last time I felt that way - very inconvenient - exactly one week before Christmas, still I knew I couldn't wait a couple of weeks because the opportunity would have gone and the AV would have been back in control.
And I remind myself of all the aches and pains that seem to have gone away and the great sleep and the getting things done and the much more even temperament... and other stuff...
Old 05-31-2022, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey All!
Day 29 here for me today! The AV is really active in my pea brain today! I am grateful for 29 days sober! I don't have to drink today!
Old 05-31-2022, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Staying vigilant by taking care of H.A.L.T. or R.I.D.

If we are hungry besure to eat healthy.
If angry talk about it with someone so that
resentments don't fester.
If lonely, surround yourself with support and
with folks showing care, understanding and
love.
If tired, sleep, relax, mediate.

If restless, irritable or discontent, do the above
and learn how to be kind to yourself as you continue
on your journey to achieving continuous sobriety one
day at a time.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The AV is just a thought. An annoyance. It gets weaker the longer you are away from your last drink.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

You ARE being vigilant!

Knowing when things can be slippery and knowing that you have a back-up plan or to write on here or to call someone or.......eat candy or ice cream or.....
Old 06-01-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are doing great, Quit- keep going!
Old 06-01-2022, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great work!!

I stay vigilant by equipping myself with knowledge about alcoholism (the how/why we get addicted), identifying and dismissing addiction voice, and filling up my life with good, healthy things where alcohol has no place — fitness, studies, cooking, technology. There’s no room for alcohol in my life, and I have ceased desiring the poison I know it is.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

The way to stay vigilant is to constantly tell your AV that you will never have another drink again, Then go think about something else.