Notices

New job, sad

Old 05-18-2022, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New job, sad

Hi Friends,
I began my new position on Monday. It’s been a whirlwind. I haven’t had time to think. Feeling way out of my league. Worked from 4am until a little after five.
I began a new medication last week. I need to stay on it until I get my hysterectomy. I shouldn’t have read the side effects. I’ve got all of them! Anxiety mood swings. I sobbed during a zoom meeting…(thank gosh I turned the video off). I prepared so much fo r this position. I read and reread all the training information. And they put me on an orphan project that doesn’t require any of what I’d learned. I’m getting help. But it’s hard to ask.

I want a drink so badly. But I’m sitting her with my crystal light.

I’m going to grab my dogs and take a break to watch my hockey team play. (It’s being taped).

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s normal to feel a little overwhelmed starting a new job and to feel a little embarrassed to ask for help - but please do PL.

Anything’s better than drinking again.

D
Old 05-18-2022, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Recovery gives us the tools to handle these situations.
Drinking does not.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember starting my last job, a job I worked 25 years and retired from. I know the feeling of being a new employee. Don't drink!
Old 05-18-2022, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Peke, I always found starting a new job was stressful and emotional. It's not always easy to ask for help, but I'm sure that your co-workers would be happy to give advice. I hope the next couple of work days are better for you.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty normal Peke, but if it's a case of remaining in the job and drinking, I'd leave the job. If you start drinking the job won't last at any rate.

I think you underestimate your capacity to succeed Peke.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it, Peke! You're so strong, capable, and doing everything right. I started a very technical job later on in life after I had long been out of the technical and corporate track. I felt similar anxiety and hesitancy, then decided it was better to ask away during the first 90 days, and develop real understanding and a reasonable level of competence, rather than fake it out of fear of appearing that I wasn't technical enough - and still be asking questions a year later. And ultimately I never was as technical as the other guys but I was extremely good at building client rapport and developing solutions, and everything worked out well.

It's a LOT of work to find good people like you, so relax and enjoy the new job. You will bring them new talents and skills and all will be fine.

Enjoy those little cuties!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just switched positions as well. I was so excited (still am) but very overwhelmed. ALL I wanted to do was drink! BUT I know that would have left me foggy, sick, and not on my game. It's been 60ish days for me but I SO wanted to drink. I am learning the new position, and it's hard. But I know I would have never been able to retain what I have had alcohol been involved. Congrats on the new job. You'll find your groove and you will be fine.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I remember when I started my last job. I had never worked for a law firm and didn't know the terminology or how to file cases or anything. I remember sitting there transcribing a tape and I didn't know a lot of the words and I had tears streaming down my face thinking I had made a horrible mistake. It took some time, but I ended up retiring from that law firm after 27 years. Best job I ever had.

Hang in there, it will get better. Most of all, don't drink! (((HUGS)))
Old 05-18-2022, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You poor thing Peke, all THAT and then new medication!! All I can say is your doing fantastically and hang on in there. I sure hope the emotional stuff settles after your off the medications to and healed up ❤️
Old 05-18-2022, 09:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I worked my way up to a few engineering positions in a manufacturing plant at a large multinational company. I was there for 27 years then they moved the plant to Europe. Did other things for a few years and then got a part time job at a big box home improvement store working sales in tool rental. I was 59 at the time. Thought of it as semi-retirement

So I went from a reasonably high stress and responsibility management environment to just renting out weed whackers and small tractors to the public. It was really stressful for a while which surprised the heck out of me. I think most of it was that I had been in manufacturing all my life and retail is a whole other world. But it's also that starting a new job is just really stressful. So much uncertainty, new things to learn, new coworkers, new boss, etc.

My experience was that after sticking to it for a few months, making a bunch of dumb mistakes, getting to know who I could ask questions and who not to (and I asked a lot of questions), generally getting used to it, I was OK. A few more months and I found myself liking the job, the people and the company. Not that it was perfect, but it was pretty good and I ended up staying for five years. I would still be there but for an arthritic ankle that made it too painful to be on my feet that many hours.

Hang in there Peke. The drug you're on is not helping, but that too will pass. If it helps you, tell yourself all they can do is fire you, but somehow I doubt that will happen. IMO it's not as bad as you think. Everyone in a new job needs time to to learn it and they know that. They've been through it all before. The more you can let go of any anxiety and stress that you can, the better your performance will be and the faster you will progress. And that will feed on itself lowering your anxiety and stress even more. Give yourself a chance, you've got this.

And don't drink. That is in your control. You can do this!
Old 05-19-2022, 12:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Are you taking progesterone to stop bleeding ? I took that before my hysterectomy in c 2007 ( for fibroids) and it made me an emotional MESS which also affected my work. I was super emotional with colleagues and crying at the slightest thing. Take lots of deep breaths and maybe take comfort that it might be the hormones and not your ability to do your job ! Hugs.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What Ican says could be so true Peke. ❤️