Notices

Day 1 again

Old 04-23-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Hey everyone,

I have gone downhill pretty far since I was last active on here. I have started to have some pretty serious mental health issues surrounding my alcoholism. Some things that I have in the plan.
1. Stop drinking. (Easier said than done)
2. I have an appointment with a therapist who will look into a psychologist. I firmly believe that my drinking stems from self medication due to anxiety (And now depression)
3. Stay active here.

I am inching ever so closer to losing everything. I have mostly been able to function up until now and hide this ailment from the majority of people in my life but it seems we are running out of grace and rightfully so. I have a pretty pissed off family. This is my first step reaching out here.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Maximus,

Ir’s a great first step, and I like that step 1 is not drinking.

It will surely be very important to deal with the other issues, but as long as you REALLY keep the 1st point in the forefront you stand a great chance of fixing your life, little by little, and I speak from experience.

We re here to help, some great people here.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can get the help you need. Have you tried AA?

My drinking got to the point where my personality changed a lot. My wife said you are a different person when you are drinking. Have been trying to quit for years. On and off 50/50. It’s more difficult when you get older. In every way. I am on day 3 or 4 now and have to get it right.

You are getting help which is a good thing. Hope you can get on the sober bus.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ever since my 2nd son was born for some reason I really fell into the grips of alcohol. Crazy how quickly it escalated. I think the stress from having two littles running around might have done it. No excuse though and I am SO LUCKY for what I currently have and still have a chance to make it right.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have considered AA but worry about the personal ramifications of "Outting myself" Being an alcoholic, unfortunately carries a certain stigma that I would like to not voluntarily announce.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
I have considered AA but worry about the personal ramifications of "Outting myself" Being an alcoholic, unfortunately carries a certain stigma that I would like to not voluntarily announce.
We must be willing to do Whatever it takes.
Anything and everything is open for discussion. It must be.

Getting sober and caring for myself and my family versus a perceived stigma among strangers and others who really don't matter in the grand scheme of life.

Easy choice for me.

The AV will tell you all kinds of crap to keep you away from the answer.
"People will talk, "your career will be damaged, they will think less of you, etc.etc."
It's ALL BS

Old 04-23-2022, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being an "active" alcoholic certainly carries a stigma in alot of places.

Being a recovering alcoholic may or may not to some.
Who cares
Get Better
Old 04-23-2022, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
We must be willing to do Whatever it takes.
Anything and everything is open for discussion. It must be.

Getting sober and caring for myself and my family versus a perceived stigma among strangers and others who really don't matter in the grand scheme of life.

Easy choice for me.

The AV will tell you all kinds of crap to keep you away from the answer.
"People will talk, "your career will be damaged, they will think less of you, etc.etc."
It's ALL BS
Yes I am very close to this point as it will all come out anyway. I appreciate your direct talk.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you’re struggling Max, but I’m glad you made it back.
You know how SR works - throw yourself into threads and get that support…get a day one down.

You can do it

If AA was helpful before what about zoom meetings - pick one from anywhere in the world…you could even have your camera off?

D
Old 04-23-2022, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are online AA meetings still a thing?

Dee, your unwavering support in this forum does not go unnoticed. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2022, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Max, you were missed here. I just checked and you hadn’t posted since January. We could’ve tried to help, but it’s good you’re back here now. The therapist sounds like a great move forward.

I wouldn’t give a **** what anyone except your family thinks. Just think of yourself. This has got to stop this time.

Please don’t disappear again for 3+ months. All the best for now
Old 04-23-2022, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are online AA meetings still a thing?

Dee, your unwavering support in this forum does not go unnoticed. Thank you!
Seems they are….
https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.../online-groups

like I said tho you could pick anywhere in the world, Max

…& thanks
D
Old 04-23-2022, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

+1 to what fishkiller said.

Also, yes to there being on line meetings. In my area (Baltimore), there are almost as many meetings online as there were at the height of the pandemic. I think they are here to stay for the long run.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get that having two little ones running around can be overwhelming, especially if you already have a drink problem, dealing with children especially young ones can be so hard. But you are their parent , you need to be there them, but before you can do that you must get clean and sober and by doing that you will be giving yourself and your children a future.
It's so important you don't blow it by drinking. I hope you feel motivated to quite for good.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Max, it's good to see you back. I'm sorry things have worsened for you. I remember when I realized that people in my family knew what was going on and that I was fooling myself that I could hide my drinking. It is hard dealing with children while trying to recover, but keep in mind that alcoholism will take everything that is dear to us. I almost lost my family. Do whatever you need to do to stop drinking and to stay sober.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's good to see you back Max.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We’re here for you!!
Old 04-23-2022, 05:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Max - I'm so glad you came back to discuss what's going on. You know we care about you & want to help.
I was where you are the last time I drank. I was finally convinced it was the end of the road for me if I didn't stop. Never did pick up again, I was terrified. You can do this.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Max welcome back,

There are international, 24 hour AA zoom meetings online, you can remain anonymous in the background and listen in, you can share anonymously as well. For me, it really helped get through my cravings the first week or so. I hope you fight for your freedom from alcohol with every thread of your being. Whatever it takes. You deserve it and your family needs you ❤ the world needs you.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I have gone downhill pretty far since I was last active on here. I have started to have some pretty serious mental health issues surrounding my alcoholism. Some things that I have in the plan.
1. Stop drinking. (Easier said than done)
2. I have an appointment with a therapist who will look into a psychologist. I firmly believe that my drinking stems from self medication due to anxiety (And now depression)
3. Stay active here.

I am inching ever so closer to losing everything. I have mostly been able to function up until now and hide this ailment from the majority of people in my life but it seems we are running out of grace and rightfully so. I have a pretty pissed off family. This is my first step reaching out here.
In the same boat sort of. My mental issues happens when I drink a lot of rum and don't really give a **** about quonquices. It only got bad in the last 2 years. Was always an an adraline junkie, raced motorcycles, surf, dive, kite. Always chasing something on the edge of dying. Drinking and putting myself in those situations worked till recently. Now sober but need excitement in my life to replace the unknown of buying a bottle of rum in the morning and see what happens. Now just do crazy **** sober. I have kiteboarded drunk, surfed, scuba night/ day, rode 1000s of miles going fast riding wheelies, pretty much did everything drunk functioning. At 40 it quit working, my eyes go crooked, I could function on a bottle of rum a day. Now have 2 drinks and people can tell. I drink and have crazy thoughts and say/write stupid things. My mental illness is a bottle of rum, I can think perfectly fine with out that. But if I go back to my old ways of a bottle of rum a day, I'm mentally ill because I'm never thinking strait if that makes sense