Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What do you spend your extra $$ on now that you have stopped drinking>

Notices

What do you spend your extra $$ on now that you have stopped drinking>

Old 04-21-2022, 04:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've never considered myself a big spender. I sometimes spend money I don't need to spend, but that is not usually the case. Mostly, I spend money when there is a need. My phone app that counts my years sober also renders the amount of money I have saved since I quit, and it's probably a large part of my actual savings today. I just bought an I Bond yesterday, the maximum the government allows. But I also own a couple of nice things that I never dreamed I could afford at one time. They bring me pleasure, but I recognize that the pleasure they bring is not as great as some of the things I do that cost me little or nothing.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I like it. I certainly get through a lot of running shoes, but I’ll never spend as much as I did on alcohol so that’s fine.

^^^MLD51, I do a weekly one-to-one yoga class. That’s £30 for 90 minutes. That’s affordable when sober.
Thanks! I want to buy a pair of carbon plated shoes such as Nike Vaporfly. It is 250 bucks, outside my budget at the moment. Will buy it if I manage to find a better job!
Old 04-21-2022, 07:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Raised my Son by myself(had him one year sober), bought a house and a new car(after a few junkers!), bought him a little car on his 16th birthday, helped him set up his household when he moved out, opened a Roth IRA and am building an independent pension. Retirement seems like it may be a possibility some day. Sobriety delivered everything it has promised so far, not always easy, but worth every second! This did not happen overnight, it took time, over almost 28 years of sober living.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Thanks! I want to buy a pair of carbon plated shoes such as Nike Vaporfly. It is 250 bucks, outside my budget at the moment. Will buy it if I manage to find a better job!
Treat yourself 😜

My budget for running shoes, usually Brooks, is about £100 ($130), but they only last 8 months or so. I’m quite fussy, though. The designs change every year, and I spend at least one hour trying a new pair - running shops are cool with this - as buying without trying is a bad move.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
I am spending on new t shirts, running apparel and eating what I want
This!!! Me too.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Amazon. And savings.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’m just starting out again so nothing yet but I’m looking forward to more good food, spoiling my dog, getting some massages, and replenishing my savings. Maybe even starting a retirement fund. Hopefully.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When I got sober, one of the things I did was increase my retirement savings.

I managed to retire early, and I'm very glad I could afford to do that.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh wow. Just saw my post from one year ago. Boy did that not happen. I’ve been just barely making it. No savings. Unable to start a retirement fund (I’m 41). And I’m trying to move because living in my cheap little house is too much for me. This economy has been absolutely brutal on me. I’m a sober woman doing my best and only spending money on bills and groceries. I never even go out.

this is a very tough time I’m not sure I’ll ever get out of. But, the emotional impact is way less because I’m sober. If I were drinking in my position, I’d be absolutely destitute and probably having a breakdown to boot.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I promised myself a bottle of French Perfume, and did so.

Better diet. Better clothing.

Free to walk to coffee shop. Buy coffee. A croissant. Read the newspaper.

Also like op shopping, so can spend up big, still searching for that elusive Michaelangelo.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've been a bit excessive over the past couple of months.
I find moderation in all things difficult.
I estimate I was spending at least £100 a week on booze which is definitely an understatement as nights out are very expensive in the UK the £100 is just for the booze I drank at home.
I've bought a few bits that I really needed for my home, treated myself to some new clothes, countless visits from Amazon for stuff - I need to calm down now and start putting some away - I have no savings!

Old 04-12-2023, 05:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Plenny, I hope you can get in a better place with your finances.

I opened a separate account and put money into it that I would have spent on alcohol. It went into five figures in about two years and I quit contributing to it.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

That’s a good idea. I wish I could afford to save anything
Old 04-12-2023, 05:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My wife spends it for me.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Cat stuff and more cat stuff LOL.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Good purchase!

I buy fishing related stuff believe it or not. 🙂
LOL thanks for the chuckle FishK. I have found fishing to be great fun and completive. When I get a chance to fish I go for it. Do you have your own boat @fishkiller ? If so that's nice!

With the extra cash I buy toys basically. Looking forward to next purchase Sims 3 PC game. I played Sims 2 and learned some about game mods. Down the sober line I will decorate my apartment in an automotive theme or who knows. With sobriety there is endless opportunity to build a happy, fun, and healthy life.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I need to get back into fishing. It has been a while. Mr. A and I enjoyed fly fishing remote lakes and streams. Lately I have been spending money of fabric for quilting and other projects.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Zencat;7922061]LOL thanks for the chuckle FishK. I have found fishing to be great fun and completive. When I get a chance to fish I go for it. Do you have your own boat @fishkiller ? If so that's nice!

I am currently boatless and will be maybe forever. Just don't have the time and energy to use one as much as needed to justify the expense.
I've been walking and fishing a local lake and find I enjoy not having to load, trailer, clean, fix a boat.

Sold my last one a couple months ago and have been spending my time and money filling my shop with new tools.

Fish On!
Old 04-12-2023, 10:15 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like spending money on my grandkids, going out for coffee, books, and good food.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sometimes it's fun to watch the drinkers and how much they spend on their precious alcohol. Last week we attended an Orioles MLB game in Baltimore. Beers were between $10 to $15 each. So the beer drinkers in front of us probably spent $50 to $80 on their beers over the course of the game. Us? we each spent $5 on a water bottle. Ouch - right? But we only got one. One thing we noticed is that while they sell plenty of beer, soda and waters at the game we could not find a cup of coffee.

Another random observation. I often hear from newcomers that "everybody drinks" so how can I stop? Not true. There were plenty of other fans around us that chose not to drink any alcohol.

We had a great time... sober.