Notices

I am back with very little hope

Old 04-19-2022, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, can your pour it away, and try again tomorrow? We’ve all been through this.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Nons said, Hope isn't something you have, it is something you DO.

You have to commit to putting more effort into staying sober than you do to keep drinking.

I'm not trying to be mean when I say its clear you need to do more than just posting here every couple of days Quitorelse.

Have you considered things like AA?

D
Old 04-19-2022, 04:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So you start again tomorrow, but do something like make plans for distraction, freeze your credit cards in ice or ask someone to hold your money.

Next, plan, cook, and eat a good filling meal.
Food in stomach is an excellent deterrent for drinking, as I am sure you know.

Glad you posted an update, now work on changing outcome for tomorrow.

You can do it. Push past the discomfort and cravings—they will only last 15-20 minutes acutely
Old 04-19-2022, 04:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Throw it away. Get some sleep. Start again tomorrow with a plan not to drink. We have ALL been here, that feeling that we can't do it. We can. You can. Honestly it is possible.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

To achieve anything big in life - getting a top dollar job offer, admission into Stanford/MIT, developing six pack, running a marathon, grooming your kid to be a national champion in a sport etc. all need commitment.

Getting rid of the terrible addiction of alcoholism is something very big - you need to be fully committed to not find your way back to the liquor store again. Not 80% or 90% commitment I am talking about since that lets the AV sneak in the gap. Are you ready to make that commitment?
Old 04-20-2022, 02:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Quit

First well done for coming back and posting. I agree with the others that putting in the work is so important with quitting. When I first stopped drinking I was on here every day and at times more than once. Also I went to daily AA meetings online for the first few weeks and then I went to a face to face meeting and made friends. That is what helped me stave off those cravings in the first few weeks. Even now 366 days sober I go to an AA meeting regularly and I try to be on here too! I find that having those connections really helps as you are then not alone with this. Like they say it takes a village to raise a child, I like to say it takes a city to quit an addiction!

Keep going and keep posting. I hope you chucked that bottle down the sink xx
Old 04-20-2022, 05:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Every morning is a new day, a day of hope, a day to give up fighting against something you will never win against. Step away from alcohol and admit you are powerless. There is no shame in falling down as long as you keep getting back up. You CAN do this.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
So you start again tomorrow, but do something like make plans for distraction, freeze your credit cards in ice or ask someone to hold your money.

Next, plan, cook, and eat a good filling meal.
Food in stomach is an excellent deterrent for drinking, as I am sure you know.

Glad you posted an update, now work on changing outcome for tomorrow.

You can do it. Push past the discomfort and cravings—they will only last 15-20 minutes acutely
great post, the credit cards in ice is genius. Yes, we can put the ice into hot water or a microwave, but it would give a few valuable minutes thinking time. These little barriers worked for me.

and you’re so right - cravings last but a few minutes. The best thing to do is distract the mind with something else, preferably something active.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I drank for a long time so long I try not to think about it. I told myself the last few years, if its just a certain low % beverage I was never really drunk. Just keeping a buzz drinking one an hour. But it would end up being other stuff. And the amount got worse.

Basically a few weeks on and a week or 10 days not drinking. One time 45 without booze. Which I really regret not staying with it that time. Was feeling/looking pretty good. Which is more miserable because the up and downs of that. There are so many bad things that can happen.

But gotta do it because health, family etc. I hope you can start again and do one day at a time to get started.