Notices

Hoping that this is Rock Bottom for me….

Old 03-27-2022, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping that this is Rock Bottom for me….

Hey everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site. I had 14 months sober in January of this year. I was going through a bunch of stuff with my wife who I am now separated from. I moved into my own place and we are working towards selling our house and getting a divorce. During this time unfortunately I picked up again. I started drinking more than I should (obviously) and have gone through two pretty terrifying withdrawals. The most recent time was a few days ago and I now have a solid three days sober although I still am not sleeping and have a bit of the shakes still. I don’t want to end up in the hospital or dead. I’m really glad that I’m back on this site. I’m determined to get back my sober time and to Make it permanent this time. I can’t afford to relapse again for my own mental health and sanity And I feel like this might be my last chance Before something really bad happens. SR was my saving grace in the past and I’m hoping that it will be again. Please keep me in your thoughts. I appreciate all the kind advice I’ve received over the time that I’ve been here. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back too FullyLucid

D
Old 03-28-2022, 12:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR FinallyLucid . The first few days are the worse, the shakes will lessen and hopefully will vanish and your sleep will get better. Do you have a plan in place on how to avoid drinking again?
Old 03-28-2022, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

14 months sober, followed by divorce. I've heard that sobriety sometimes ends this way, but I'm not saying this explains your case. Human interactions are a complicated business, and alcoholism is too. But one of the essentials in recovery is understanding that as alcoholics, we cannot drink without experiencing the same consequences we always do. We cannot drink to celebrate, to unwind after a hard day, or because of some traumatic life changing event. The outcome will always be the same. Recovery is about making it through the ups and downs without using alcohol, and it's forever. I often think of it as, "If you fall off the wagon, you never really quit, you just took some time off." But others would argue, and that's fine. It's just my own personal feeling about it.

I'm glad you are here. Now lets get back on the horse, and do what you know you've gotta do.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you have a few days FL. Those are the most difficult. Try not to worry too much about sleep. As you know, it is often one of the last things to return to normal. And tired but clear headed is SO preferable to hungover and miserable.

Keep posting and let us know how things are going.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back FL. I did the same thing after 3 years of sobriety in which I had gotten complacent and stopped coming here. As Robbie mentioned, what will you do differently this time? I suggest reading and posting daily, as a start. And join the March class for support.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to see you back, FinallyLucid. We have to be ready, and it sounds like you are.

I find coming here each day really strengthens me & helps keep me vigilant. The encouragement is just what we need, especially when our family & friends don't quite understand what we go through. You can do it!
Old 03-28-2022, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back! You've gotten through 3 difficult days, so you are doing great!
Old 03-28-2022, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Very sorry to hear about your divorce, I know that sucks from personal experience, but I also know that drinking makes nothing better. You've had sobriety before, you can have it again and this time you can make it permanent. You've done the hardest part-the first couple of days and making the commitment, good job! We are here for you.