Notices

Incident last weekend

Old 03-15-2022, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Incident last weekend

Hi all,

Basically I just want to vent on what happened last weekend. I've been worrying about what could've been the past few days now and I've only myself to blame really.

It was my brothers stag do and I thought I could keep drinking like 'one of the boys'. I'm a bit of a lightweight but can never stop drinking when with my friends.

Towards the end of the night I and another friend got involved in a bit of a rumble.

No punches were thrown our way, we were far too drunk to do that but I got into an argument with a woman and she clocked me twice (I think). I don't know why she did that but its safe to assume I probably insulted her and I deserved it.

I got home ok, suffered the next day. Mentally suffering now still. I keep on questioning myself 'what if I hit her back?' etc. There are no indications that I did but I tend to torture myself over these scenarios.

I'm an idiot and just wish I could've been sober last weekend.

I'm going away next month and I keep telling myself I don't deserve to go because of this incident.

But yeah, cheers people for reading. Needed to let it go so to speak.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RAL

Sorry to hear you had a bad incident. Many of us have had similar experiences which were the catalyst to us quitting drinking.

It's not about being a lightweight it's just knowing that once we start drinking anything could happen.

Could you ask one of the others you were with what happened maybe. Be thankful it wasnt worse. My neighbours son was killed in a 1 punch bar brawl.

At least if you quit drinking you know nothing like this or worse will ever happen again.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Sorry to hear you had a bad incident. Many of us have had similar experiences which were the catalyst to us quitting drinking.

It's not about being a lightweight it's just knowing that once we start drinking anything could happen.

Could you ask one of the others you were with what happened maybe. Be thankful it wasnt worse. My neighbours son was killed in a 1 punch bar brawl.

At least if you quit drinking you know nothing like this or worse will ever happen again.
I can ask my brother but I'm terrified on what he'd say to me.

I will pluck up the courage eventually though. I got lucky this time.

​​
Old 03-15-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the only way to settle your unease is to ask.

in the wider perspective tho, whatever happened, that guy is clearly not who you want to be….so as signs from the universe go, they don’t come much bigger needtostop?

D
Old 03-15-2022, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Needtostop - I'm so glad you posted about what happened.

One of the main reasons I quit was due to incidents like that. I have one particular event that haunts me many years later. I did out-of-character & dangerous things. I knew I could never trust myself once it was in my system. Take this as further proof that you can't touch the stuff without an unexpected outcome.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hopefully you did nothing to awful!
Most of us...ALL of us have done really stupid, embarrassing, illegal, wrong , things that we only half remember, or don't remember at all, when we have been drunk. It's a very, very good reason to stop drinking,
Old 03-16-2022, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You've posted five threads. All them AFTER you drink. All about how you regret your behavior. Two of them about potential violence against women.

You username says it all...

You needtostop drinking. Now.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this incident pushes you to stop drinking. I experienced a lot of anxiety after I'd been drinking and it was quite horrible. You don't have to go through that anymore.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You've posted five threads. All them AFTER you drink. All about how you regret your behavior. Two of them about potential violence against women.

You username says it all...

You needtostop drinking. Now.
You're absolutely spot on.

I feel I've done enough damage though, feel like I can't come back from this. In fact I feel sick.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking (2 years ago, with a 8 month relapse in the middle) I was besides myself with the fall out of my drinking. Anxious doesn't come close...I'll try horrified, sickened, despairing, suicidal, embarrassed, ashamed, shocked. And more besides.

There isn't any way round it, just the cold logical certainty that to carry on drinking will just make things worse. Time to put on my big boy pants and face it in the eye. I'm having to do that again now a second time round.

To risk another episode is lunacy. Be brave
Old 03-16-2022, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The "feel like I can't come back from this" talk sounds like you are searching for reasons to conclude that all is lost, so may as well have a few drinks right?

Deal with what you know. The truth is never as scary as it seems and you should just ask your drinking buddies exactly what happened. Something you can get your arms around.

Then, as others have suggested, could there be a more concrete example of why you truly need to stop? Before I quit my drunken escapades eventually crossed over from verbally hurting people to physically hurting people and I did things that cannot be undone and that will always bother me.

Don't do that needtostop.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
The "feel like I can't come back from this" talk sounds like you are searching for reasons to conclude that all is lost, so may as well have a few drinks right?

Deal with what you know. The truth is never as scary as it seems and you should just ask your drinking buddies exactly what happened. Something you can get your arms around.

Then, as others have suggested, could there be a more concrete example of why you truly need to stop? Before I quit my drunken escapades eventually crossed over from verbally hurting people to physically hurting people and I did things that cannot be undone and that will always bother me.

Don't do that needtostop.
I won't drink, I'm traumatised by what happened.

I will eventually ask my brother what happened. The 'good' thing is if anything did happen then I would've known about it as my brother despises violence against women, I live with my Mum so he would've told Mum straight away and I probably would've been moving out by now. I still need to ask him though as my anxiety is through the roof.

I was planning to move away next month to another continent for a while. A new start. Just to get away from everything. But I feel like I don't deserve it now, like I have to suffer.

I feel ******* awful tbh. Sorry.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RAL

You can come back from this -by committing to not drinking so you know nothing like this will ever happen again.

If there had been violence surely the police would have been involved so maybe this is a good wake up call.

Hope you stick around on here
Old 03-17-2022, 03:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by needtostop87 View Post

I was planning to move away next month to another continent for a while. A new start. Just to get away from everything.
There are a lot of people who think a geographical relocation will kickstart their recovery. But there is a saying: "Wherever you go, there you are."
If the problem is you, moving won't fix it.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There are a lot of people who think a geographical relocation will kickstart their recovery. But there is a saying: "Wherever you go, there you are."
If the problem is you, moving won't fix it.
That's very true tbf but I was thinking of moving a good few months before what happened last weekend. This hasn't been an on the whim decision so to speak. The flight is already booked.

I think a break from home would do me good. Away from the usual surroundings, temptations to go out with the lads etc. I need to forgive myself first though.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by needtostop87 View Post
I was thinking of moving a good few months before what happened last weekend. This hasn't been an on the whim decision so to speak.
You've had this problem for years before the decision to move. You are not likely to leave it behind.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from moving. What I am trying to say is whatever you would have needed to do to get sober at home, you'll likely need to do at your new location. Alcohol is everywhere. You are going to want to socialize. The two together is what has led you to over consumption and the resulting problems. Move. But make the decision to quit drinking and do whatever you can to support that decision.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You've had this problem for years before the decision to move. You are not likely to leave it behind.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from moving. What I am trying to say is whatever you would have needed to do to get sober at home, you'll likely need to do at your new location. Alcohol is everywhere. You are going to want to socialize. The two together is what has led you to over consumption and the resulting problems. Move. But make the decision to quit drinking and do whatever you can to support that decision.
I will take that advise mate thank you.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope your move gives what you what you want, but I doubt it, not unless you stop drinking.
It is one thing to do stupid embarrassing stuff that just makes you look stupid and embarrassing - it is a whole other level to cause harm to others,
You sound like a guy that doesn't want to cause harm to others, that's how it sounds when you're sober....so ......stay sober.

We all of us run a better chance of not hurting ourselves or others, either emotionally of physically if we are sober....so it really is a no brainer....
Old 03-17-2022, 07:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I hope your move gives what you what you want, but I doubt it, not unless you stop drinking.
It is one thing to do stupid embarrassing stuff that just makes you look stupid and embarrassing - it is a whole other level to cause harm to others,
You sound like a guy that doesn't want to cause harm to others, that's how it sounds when you're sober....so ......stay sober.

We all of us run a better chance of not hurting ourselves or others, either emotionally of physically if we are sober....so it really is a no brainer....
You're spot on. My relationship with drink is bizarre really. I barely drink much at home, it's just when I'm in social situations. Once I have one, I don't stop until I get to the point where I'm hammered.

Like I haven't drank since the weekend and I don't think about it. All I've thought about is me being an idiot last weekend.

I don't know anymore, guess I'm just rambling.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Needtostop, I had virtually identical experiences in my drinking career and the only way to stop feeling like you do is to quit. There is no other way. The number of times I woke up in sheer panic about what had occurred the evening before drove me, eventually, to quit for good. Don't go through more cycles of this. Make a stand and stop. Keep coming here.