Notices

Day 18 - too much too soon ?

Old 03-13-2022, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 18 - too much too soon ?

So I’m on Day 18 and expected to be leaping around with new found energy like everyone seems to report but I am experiencing the opposite. I am so damn tired all the time. I have really cleaned up my diet, my sleep cycle is not too bad these days so I thought I’d add little exercise into the mix (15 mins stationary bike twice a day and/or a long walk ) but I feel worse than ever! Utterly exhausted with terrible brain fog, poor concentration etc! I really don’t think I’m ill per se and maybe this is just part of the healing process. Am thinking of laying off exercise until I feel more able to do it as it’s becoming another source of anxiety. Thoughts ?
Old 03-13-2022, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you still feel this way, i went from energy to now feeling tired, do what's right for you, you can start exercising again when you feel up to it.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's part of the healing process. It's really hard to be patient in early recovery, but it's essential. Allow your body, mind and spirit to heal. It will take some time, but you will likely feel better soon.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s all perfectly normal ICDT. Try to be patient - your energy will return.
Don’t let the worry get to you like the insomnia did last time. You are doing well, and this fatigue phase will pass.

D
Old 03-13-2022, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee ! Soon I’ll be worrying about worrying - ha ha !
Old 03-13-2022, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was exhausted for a couple months after quitting. We've beaten ourselves up badly - it takes time to heal as we get free of the toxic effects.
Don't be discouraged. You're doing great. Congrats on your 18 days.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 18 days sober 🙏
Old 03-13-2022, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ican - congrats on 18 days. It’s not a race, it s a marathon, so take your time to feel well, no pressure.

I must say the clear difference to me is always around day 90, so stay strong there!
Old 03-13-2022, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep trying until you get it, or die. And one or the other will happen so I hope you make the choice that's best to fix your problem.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your body knows what it needs, so it’s great you are listening to it. . .
Old 03-13-2022, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was still in a fairly down sate of mind for about 3 months, tired, emotional, tearful, headaches - so yes, maybe you are hoping for too much. too soon? It seems annoying that after giving up the stuff, life doesn't get better faster - I guess that's the prince we pay - well I have paid anyway - slow recovery -
I hope you feel a little better tomorrow -
Old 03-13-2022, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
So I’m on Day 18 and expected to be leaping around with new found energy like everyone seems to report but I am experiencing the opposite. I am so damn tired all the time. I have really cleaned up my diet, my sleep cycle is not too bad these days so I thought I’d add little exercise into the mix (15 mins stationary bike twice a day and/or a long walk ) but I feel worse than ever! Utterly exhausted with terrible brain fog, poor concentration etc! I really don’t think I’m ill per se and maybe this is just part of the healing process. Am thinking of laying off exercise until I feel more able to do it as it’s becoming another source of anxiety. Thoughts ?
I went through the same thing. It gets better.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I learned here that the body is healing and rewiring. Booze poisoned it with every sip.

The healing process seemed exponential with each relapse.

The mental healing took longer. I am still seeing growth.

Best to quit while we are younger otherwise, we wouldn't have the strength to pull through.

I am sure I wouldn't survive another relapse. I'd rather think this, not test it, and be wrong than otherwise.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pretty normal Ican. You drank for a week or two solid this last time and that's a lot to put out bodies through, along with the emotional fatigue. I found relapses got harder with time. By the end of 30 days I guarantee you will be feeling more energetic.

Congrats on 18 days - spectacular!
Old 03-13-2022, 11:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done on 18 days!
Listen to your body and trust the process. If you don’t want to exercise, have a rest day. If you feel you can manage it, do it. Either way don’t pressurize yourself and take it one day at a time.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Ican

Well done on day 18!!

Im 11 months sober and still waiting for this amazing lot of sober energy to hit me haha!!

What I do feel though is the joy of waking up hangover free, of remembering what I said and did, the joy of being able to keep to plans and not have to cancel of flake out. Thats the good. But I dont have lots of energy I wish I did!

Heres to more and more sober days xx
Old 03-14-2022, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice work on 18 days ICDT. I don't really see anyone reporting high levels of energy and jumping and leaping with joy on Day 18. I think your experience is far more near the norm. On Day 18 I still had a shell-shocked stunned mind and body and I couldn't string together two coherent thoughts. Those things wax and wane some and fade over time. Please be patient with yourself. 18 days is amazing!!!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have you thought of COVID as a reason? Not saying you had COVID or didnt have it.
When I got sick with the virus at the end of December the main symptom that stayed for weeks was fatigue. Severe fatigue. I just couldnt get my **** together no matter how hard I tried.

I think its worth considering. Just a thought. Keep going, ICAN. You are doing amazing things with your life.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No it’s not Covid. I tested myself several times and I am very very very careful ! Hope you are feeling better Mizz !
Old 03-14-2022, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As others have said it is simply going to take some time.

You put your body and mind through a lot. It's going to need some time to recover until it goes back to normal. How long depends on so many factors. It's really hard to put a timeline on it because every alcoholics situation is different despite the similarities we all have.

Hang in there. Best bet - stay sober, eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and live an overall healthy lifestyle. Eventually, that energy you are seeking will come back 10x. I promise you!