Notices

Scared for my husband

Old 03-08-2022, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared for my husband

I'm truly scared that my husband is dying right in front of me and I don't know what to do. I believe that He is unable to stop drinking. The last time he went to the doctor for bloodwork, his AST/ALT levels were elevated. They had actually doubled since his last visit. He needed to go to his liver doctor, but, cancelled the appointment. He lies to me constantly and says he doesn't drink at all. He is lying. He has been very intoxicated for the past 9 days. He hasn't eaten in so long I can't remember. He has lost 40 lbs in 5-6 months, He is incoherent most of the time, doesn't make any sense when he's talking, can't remember anything, tells me the same thing over and over and over, can't walk straight, jerks all night long in his sleep, yet, swears he isn't drinking. I actually believed him until i looked at the bank and saw charges all day, every day at convenience stores that he can't explain. He is so out of touch with reality, he will not go to the doctor or the hospital. I'm truly worried that he's dying. He was diagnosed with stage 3-4 liver disease last August, but, no cirrhosis yet. My question is does every alcoholic develop cirrhosis?
Old 03-08-2022, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Pjack. I am so sorry about your husband. I know how difficult it is to watch a loved one destroy themselves and feel helpless to do anything about it.

No, not all alcoholics develop cirrhosis. Alcohol affects many organs in the body, not just the liver. I always thought my father died from cirrhosis, but it turns out he died from alcoholic encephalopathy, which is a brain injury caused by drinking heavy amounts of alcohol for a long period of time.

Do you have any kind of support for yourself? I hope you will read around SR and let us help you. We have a Family and Friends of Alcoholics forum you might find very helpful.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm sorry for your situation. I'm sure it's very difficult to watch.

If your husband doesn't want to stop drinking or deal with his doctors, there is very little that you can do. The most important thing is for you to take care of yourself during this time. You might consider checking out an AlAnon meeting in your area as a support for you.

And here is the link for our Friends & Family forum:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 03-08-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PJACKS523 View Post
I'm truly scared that my husband is dying right in front of me and I don't know what to do. I believe that He is unable to stop drinking. The last time he went to the doctor for bloodwork, his AST/ALT levels were elevated. They had actually doubled since his last visit. He needed to go to his liver doctor, but, cancelled the appointment. He lies to me constantly and says he doesn't drink at all. He is lying. He has been very intoxicated for the past 9 days. He hasn't eaten in so long I can't remember. He has lost 40 lbs in 5-6 months, He is incoherent most of the time, doesn't make any sense when he's talking, can't remember anything, tells me the same thing over and over and over, can't walk straight, jerks all night long in his sleep, yet, swears he isn't drinking. I actually believed him until i looked at the bank and saw charges all day, every day at convenience stores that he can't explain. He is so out of touch with reality, he will not go to the doctor or the hospital. I'm truly worried that he's dying. He was diagnosed with stage 3-4 liver disease last August, but, no cirrhosis yet. My question is does every alcoholic develop cirrhosis?
No not every alcoholic develops cirrhosis. By the sound of things your husband is in danger of wet brain. Unfortunately he may already have it. On a more optimistic note, he may not have it and even a short spell of sobriety, preferably medically detoxification, may cause the above symptoms right themselves.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome PJACKS523

You've found a good place for support and understanding.
There's a lot of alcoholics here who have turned their lives around - including me. I really hope your husband will decide to do the same.

D