Notices

Nervous about rehab

Old 03-01-2022, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about rehab

I know it has to be done but I'm really nervous. I didn't have a great experience last time I went. I suppose I didn't really want to be there then.

I do want to be better now. I have to get this under control if I'm to have any sort of life. But it's scary.

I have a few weeks to prepare myself because I need to get the second shot and there's a waiting list too. I suppose I could do AA in the meantime. Might as well attend church too since I'll have to in rehab (it's very Catholic).

I'm just going to have to have the courage to do this. It's only twelve weeks and it could save my life.

I have GP appt Friday to refer me and get the ball rolling. This could be the start of something good.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like bold steps that could save your life FF. That is so awesome that you are going to give rehab an honest shot with an open mind.

You are showing such courage. Don't be nervous. Just work the program as diligently as you can, take it seriously, do what the Catholics tell you to do in their sanctuary, and you give yourself a shot at being 100+ days sober when you successfully complete rehab.

I'm rooting for you FF!!!
Old 03-01-2022, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Surrendered. I feel silly being nervous about rehab. They'll want to help me.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I do want to be better now.
This is so profound. This is my story. I want to be better now. I've had enough of feeling rubbish and hurting myself and others around me.

I want to be better now too 👊
Old 03-01-2022, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nervous is the most natural survival reaction. The deep reptilian part of your brain is telling you to flee from the unknown. That's all it is. Don't listen to it. I'm proud of you.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

FF, I'm glad you're planning to do rehab.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Change can be frightening, letting go and starting something new. Please do save your life FF - and you are right they DO want to help. Thinking of you.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy to hear this! Not that you're nervous, that's understandable, but that you are going to rehab. You are taking charge of your life--well done.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do want to be better now. I have to get this under control if I'm to have any sort of life. But it's scary. . .

. . .I'm just going to have to have the courage to do this. It's only twelve weeks and it could save my life.
This could be the start of something good.
Keep going and going and going. Never give up. You may not realize it but your persistence, in the face of such a formidable obstacle, is a testament to the strength you really have. Life is difficult enough, as it is, and people like us are thrown the extra garbage bag of having a wicked addction to deal with as well. But when you come out the other side, sober and happy, you will be not only stronger, but also wiser, than many around you. The peace and knowledge you find will enable you to inspire and help others.

Stay the course. Always stay the course no matter what besets you.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink

We all have fear, its a natural instinct sometimes, but face it head on, you can do this, think about being free physically and mentally and what a great life you could have. Wishing you all the best.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FF please do it. You have said many times before you will. Your future is either rehab of jail. Which do you prefer?
Old 03-01-2022, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone

Yeah, KMT, it's either rehab, prison or death. So rehab seems to be the way to go..

I've just had a good sleep and I'm a bit calmer now. Sort of looking forward to rehab in a way. 12 weeks to work on myself in a supportive environment. I know it'll make my family happy if I go.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m really glad you are going to rehab with an open mind and ready to finally get the drinking dealt with and get your life back.

I think this really could save your life, and not only physically—it can can give you a chance at living a fulfilling life as you deserve.

Give it all you’ve got and then some. You are stronger than you think and you can get well and get on with a wonderful future—

Old 03-01-2022, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you want to get better FF and I'm glad you're considering rehab

D
Old 03-01-2022, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you've decided to go to Rehab, FF. It was recommended to you a good few times here the last few years. Are you going to a Chun Mhuire Centre?
Old 03-01-2022, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Glad you've decided to go to Rehab, FF. It was recommended to you a good few times here the last few years. Are you going to a Chun Mhuire Centre?
Yean. That's where I went before. Better the devil you know and all.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

I have always had faith you can do this. Normal to be nervous, it's a big change but will be well worth it!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A lot of Irish rehabs are very religious/Catholic. Some are not but unfortunately private health insurance usually req'd. Of the public (i.e., available to people without private health insurance) rehabs Coolmine in Dublin 15 is one of the few that is secular but my understanding is that it is more geared towards heroin.

I think it is the right move for you, it is natural to feel some trepidation.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi FF,

Yeah, KMT, it's either rehab, prison or death. So rehab seems to be the way to go..
Shocking to think that isn't it but for many sufferers probably true. Don't focus too much on the scary aspect of things though - rehab can be a hugely beneficial experience if you go into it with the right frame of mind. I treasure the time that I spent there - it's life changing stuff.

The most important part is when you come out though as that's when you'll be at you most vulnerable. Your only priority at that stage is not to drink again and that will also require lots of support. First things first though - get there safely... As my brother said to me as I headed in, "Relax and enjoy your treatment". Once I had got over the trepidation, that's exactly what I did!

All the best, Forwards.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Really happy to hear you're going to try rehab again, FF. I think it could really set you up for success if you go there and work hard on yourself. You can do this. Change is scary and it's understandable to be nervous, because a life without alcohol is unknown. I am really excited for you.