Notices

Back in the insanity of drinking

Old 03-01-2022, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back in the insanity of drinking

I had 7 days of not drinking and screwed it up!
Now I am back in the insanity of my drinking.
Day 1 two drinks
Day 2 two drinks
Day 3 three drinks
Day 4 five drinks
Day 5 lost count
Today already drinking!!!
I hope I can find the will power to stop again!🤬
Old 03-01-2022, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can, too, Quitorelse. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and not only that, I found each relapse harder to heal from than the last.

Can you get rid of the alcohol you have in the house?
Old 03-01-2022, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can definitely get this figured out Quitorelse.

Tomorrow can be a tolerable Day 1 or an absolutely miserable Day 1. Dump that crap out and start a tolerable Day 1 in the morning.

If not, maybe get some things ready for tomorrow if you can. Some good food and a plan for the day. Drink lots of water between now and then even if you are hitting the last of your booze.

Do some laundry. Get cleaned up. Etc.

Do something to make tomorrow look different than today.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Quitorelse View Post
Today already drinking!!!
I hope I can find the will power to stop again!🤬
In my experience, now was the best time to stop. It never got any easier the longer I went, only harder. It was the only way that ever worked for me, and that was almost 19 years ago

Old 03-01-2022, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could only do 3 days before I caved, and I did that many times until I quit. That monkey business ended when I resolved to quit for good, without allowing myself a slip, or going back to see if I was eventually strong enough to drink again. It's a mental acceptance that drinking needs to be over and removed from our lives. This quitting thing must be forever, because every time you take one drink, it's back to the insanity, and as Anna pointed out, it never gets easier whether you get up to 3 days, 7 days, or 10 years. When you are off of the stuff for awhile, the cravings will start to subside, and then you get some air. Just don't take a drink because you feel better.

Eventually not drinking just becomes something you can enjoy. It's really a good life.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope you get back to day 1, it gets harder each time, 3 weeks ago i thought i was losing my mind, throw the god damn poison away, get back to us, you can do this, its just a blip in the road, don't prolong it and give it power.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It wasn't willpower for me Quit, it was acceptance.
I had to accept I could never have the life I wanted or be the person I wanted to be, while I drank.

It was drink or get better. I couldn't do both.

D
Old 03-01-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What Dee says - Accept that it's over. You are done with drinking. Accept that and you have already won.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It was same process for me whenever I tried to moderate Quit. Like DriGuy would have gone into total collapse of plan (to moderate) at Day 3. Abstinence is a far better plan. It doesn't collapse unless you allow for it.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
What Dee says - Accept that it's over. You are done with drinking. Accept that and you have already won.
Maybe it’s my old negative ways, but I say the same thing differently. I say that I lost the battle with alcohol and ran away

Quitorelse, you need to accept it. It’s out of control, isn’t it? It’s not your fault as alcoholism is a horrible addiction. The only way out, as you’re finding out, is to stop 100%, which actually is surprisingly easier than trying to moderate. As Anna says, get rid of alcohol in the house and steer clear of any temptation for at least the next two weeks. Yes, you’ll crave like mad, but on the other side, you’ll have a way better life.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Don't beat yourself up for too long Quit, I relapsed lots of times before it stuck. The thing was, I did what Einstein said was the definition of madness, I kept doing the same thing - relying on willpower alone - and expecting, or at least hoping for, a different result. I didn't get one.

Try to analyse what you can do again to avoid picking up again next time. Distraction was what worked for me. Doing something that required an element of concentration was enough to take my mind from telling me I wanted a drink.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Quit. I'm glad you wanted to talk about what happened. Maybe this is the further proof you needed to stop for good. I had to prove it to myself a few times - that there would never be any control. No such thing as 'one or two' - and never will be. You can get free !
Old 03-01-2022, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It was hard, at first, but quitting drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. What saved me, early on, when I wasn't 'feeling it', was to practice gratitude every day. Each day I would find at least one thing/person/event to be thankful for. It became easier to find things to be grateful for, the longer I was sober and grateful. And now, I'm over 12 yrs sober and a lot happier than I was when I was drinking.

Quit now cause it won't get any easier if you keep drinking. Quit now and let that be the end of it. I promise you, after getting thru the hard part, your sober life will get a lot better.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Samantha

You're in the right place and you can do this!
quit drinking now and make it your new start date.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quitorelse, I quit many, many times before this time. I'm really hoping this one is the last for me. I've got my head around the fact that I will never drink again. I'm 84 days AF now so it's still early times, but my attitude is different this time and I have more confidence it will stick than I have ever had before.

In my opinion, don't worry too much about a relapse. It happens. Learn what you can from this experience, regroup and get sober again as soon as you can. For me, thinking over what happened that allowed me to drink again was important. It let me know what I needed to change in my getting AF plan for the next time. The more we know about ourselves the better.

Take it easy and be gentle on yourself. Regroup and come back stronger. You can do this!
Old 03-01-2022, 10:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just to echo many others on this thread, for me it had to be the acceptance of never and forever, that mindset closed the door to a return to uncontrollable drinking. The one day at a time mentality would never have worked for me.
Wishing you luck, a life free from booze is waiting for you
love Billy x
Old 03-01-2022, 11:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You can definitely get this figured out Quitorelse.

Tomorrow can be a tolerable Day 1 or an absolutely miserable Day 1. Dump that crap out and start a tolerable Day 1 in the morning.

If not, maybe get some things ready for tomorrow if you can. Some good food and a plan for the day. Drink lots of water between now and then even if you are hitting the last of your booze.

Do some laundry. Get cleaned up. Etc.

Do something to make tomorrow look different than today.
Excellent practical advice here from surrendered. Go on a clean up exercise of the house. Make your bed fresh. Get lots of water and good food to eat, then start day one with resolve.
As the others have said, acceptance is the key.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Quiltorelse, how are you doing, i hope you took the advice that people have given you, it is not worth putting yourself through everything drink does to us, get back here to people that know what you are going through, we all only get a certain amount of comebacks from alcohol, let this be your comeback victory.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There is a wonderful sober life available if you work for it. Peace of mind is attainable but only with 100% abstinence and a total commitment to stay sober and dedicate one’s life to recovery.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Willpower alone won't work.

It might work for a couple of days here and there, but long term, when life starts coming at you, it's ineffective.

You need other tools, in your toolkit. Have you tried AA or another program of recovery?