Notices

How do you have a good time without alcohol?

Old 03-01-2022, 09:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To be honest, that was my thought. It does initially seem inconceivable, especially in the U.K., not to drink again. A couple of things I then noticed. Firstly because my life had changed so much after quitting, the people I met up with were either non drinkers or did so occasionally. We have huge laughs without booze. Secondly, when I go to a pub now for a coffee, I notice how dull the drinkers are. They’re not having fun.

You can still have fun with friends without drinking. If you’re on this forum, you’re worried about your drinking, and you’re right to want to address that. Not drinking will open up new areas of your life. You’ll be better off and have more fun.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
just enjoying yourself could be difficult if you're still subconsciously associating a loss of control with drinking and vice versa.
You would not be the first person in recovery to have a problem with letting go soberly.
That is exactly it, you have hit the nail right on the head there 'letting go soberly' is what I can't do!
Old 03-02-2022, 02:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Hi, congratulations on 4 years, i am at 3 weeks and this gives me hope, my plan is to do things/activities that does not involve being around alcohol or people that are drinking it, as its early days for me, i have always wanted to try yoga, where i live they do it on the beach when the weather is nice, now i have the confidence (being sober) and not the fake confidence (being drunk) i am going to give this a go and also all the other activities that alcohol prevented me doing.
Thank you so much, I remember the first few weeks after stopping being really hard and I certainly wasn't feeling as positive as you! I am sure that this is the start of something great for you! Good luck! x
Old 03-02-2022, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

That is exactly it, you have hit the nail right on the head there 'letting go soberly' is what I can't do!
I worked up to it...I had a small group of sober, or normal drinker friends (have two beers and leave the last one half full) and I got used again to that kind of no stress interaction.

Gradually I exposed myself more and more to more challenging situations....it was a process rather than an event.

Due to Covid my last concert was probably Roger Waters - there must have been people drinking around me but it didn't come up on my radar at all. I was relaxed and I enjoyed the show a lot

Keep working at it !

D
Old 03-02-2022, 03:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Just based on the limited info in your post, I'm going to gently suggest that although you might miss the person you were when you were drinking, others likely don't.

But that aside, your post makes me sad because 4 years of sobriety is an amazing accomplishment, and there are so many here on SR and in the real world that are struggling to get 4 days under their belts and would do anything to achieve what you have achieved. I guess it is distressing to me that so many may read or hear a message from you that even 4 years out, there is no happiness except for the fake frenzied manic glee that came along with drinking.

But, you are definitely not responsible for others' recovery and happiness. I sincerely hope that there are parts of your sobriety that make you happy and that you are grateful for the healthy and peaceful life that you are living, live concert venues and romanticized drunken stupidity aside.
Oh I didn't mean for my post to come across that way! I am certainly in a better place now that I am not drinking, I am not denying that. It is just the letting go and having a good time thing that I am having issues with, which I guess is a small thing in the grand scheme of things. I do think it is a confidence thing more than anything to be honest, I have never been the most confident person, and that is one of the excuses I used in order to drink. I will defiantly do a post at some point soon explaining what I have been through on my journey, how bad things got and how much better things are now!

Old 03-03-2022, 11:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by ShadowChick View Post
If I start to get uptight about a social situation or whatever, it is usually because I am worrying about how other people will perceive me. I just tell myself to be myself and if others think I am silly, a fool, a moron, beneath them, etc. etc. etc., will civilization as I know it come to an abrupt end and cease to exist? Also I ask myself are the other people going to remember this exact particular moment in three months? Odds are way in the favor of no. If it turns out that they do remember... at least I was memorable.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This is certainly tough. I've haven't been sober as long as you, but there a few things that do help:

Rethink what's "fun."
  • Last summer I rented out a boat and my buddies and I went trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. Some of them drank as early as 6 a.m., but I didn't - and had a blast fishing all day and feeling the wind on my face.
  • Kayaking.
  • Hiking.
  • Photography.
  • Playing intense workout/VR games (I love my Oculus Quest 2).
  • Hosting parties where I cook big meals/cookouts.
These things are all super fun, and are not necessarily enhanced by alcohol. In some cases, alcohol makes them worse! And there's something really cool about never having to worry about a hangover. I'm up the next morning with a coffee, taking my kids to the park etc. with a smile on my face.

Avoiding bars/drinking events: I did go to a big cousin's drinking party last year, and it was okay. I worked out before hand, brought my own non-alcoholic beverages and played cards all night. I had fun - but it was still awkward to be around all that heavy drinking as the sober one (and a guy who would've been rallying everyone to take more shots before).

For the most part, I avoid these kind of events. I've since realized there's a whole world of "fun" out there that has nothing to do with alcohol, something I literally could not have conceived in my 20s.

Rule of thumb: If something requires you to be drugged in order to enjoy it, it's actually pretty f'n lame.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe some of us our naturally 'letting go' people - I am for one am not...
I dislike parties, big meals, large social events. I only accepted that I don't like them in the last year, and I am now fine with it
I do find it hard to 'let go' without alcohol. With alcohol I let go way too much!
Now I am not sure how I will 'let go' - I feel it will involve music - in music I can always let go even if it's just in my mind.
Although I dislike big social events, I don't mind things like festivals as that is more unstructured and informal.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't go to many 'parties' or events, but am pretty laid back so can enjoy things like that as long as I don't stay too long. I'm a home-body and am happiest at home with my dog and cats.

But if I do go to some affair, I'm always glad I'm sober so I can focus on the event and enjoy it.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Maybe some of us our naturally 'letting go' people - I am for one am not...
I dislike parties, big meals, large social events. I only accepted that I don't like them in the last year, and I am now fine with it
I do find it hard to 'let go' without alcohol. With alcohol I let go way too much!
Now I am not sure how I will 'let go' - I feel it will involve music - in music I can always let go even if it's just in my mind.
Although I dislike big social events, I don't mind things like festivals as that is more unstructured and informal.
I don't go to parties or big meals or anything like that, I stopped going to the pubs and clubs when I stopped drinking. I did go along to a birthday party at some point and that was so boring, everyone was drinking and I actually found that drunk people annoyed me! - I never thought I would hear myself say that!
Old 03-05-2022, 02:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I don't go to many 'parties' or events, but am pretty laid back so can enjoy things like that as long as I don't stay too long. I'm a home-body and am happiest at home with my dog and cats.

But if I do go to some affair, I'm always glad I'm sober so I can focus on the event and enjoy it.
My cats have been a great help! I honestly don't believe that I would have stayed sober without them! My cats saved my life! x
Old 03-05-2022, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would just like to say thank you to everyone that has taken the time to read and comment on this thread, you have all been very helpful and it is amazing how just talking can actually help. I have never used forums or anything like this before but I am so glad that I found this one and reached out! Thank you all so much! x
Old 03-05-2022, 02:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The late great philosopher, doctor, and musician Albert Schweitzer once said: There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. He was right. I grew up with cats and have always had cats ever since I was an adult on my own. I can't imagine living without cats in my life.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Not again

For me, the irony lay in the fact that my addiction put me on on bicycle, Lost my license and my vehicles.
Now I ride everywhere, everyday, I suppose it really became a part of my "way of life" when I got into recovery.
I was riding 12-15 miles a day to go to treatment. I used the time to...meditate...contemplate? A few years back I
impulsively decided to ride 100 miles to volunteer at the NYS Recovery Conference. Yes, I live in upstate/central NY. It's cold and there is snow, doesn't bother me one bit. As a matter of fact I find it easier to ride when it's...cooler. Below 10 degrees can get painful, but "suffering builds strength, and if you chase suffering it will disappear." Buddha said that and I believe him.

Regards,
Larry

PS I still go to Dead shows, but now I dance sober.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShadowChick View Post
Oh I didn't mean for my post to come across that way! I am certainly in a better place now that I am not drinking, I am not denying that. It is just the letting go and having a good time thing that I am having issues with, which I guess is a small thing in the grand scheme of things. I do think it is a confidence thing more than anything to be honest, I have never been the most confident person, and that is one of the excuses I used in order to drink. I will defiantly do a post at some point soon explaining what I have been through on my journey, how bad things got and how much better things are now!
It's OK to just be somebody who's not crazy about social events. Lots of non-drinkers who aren't alcoholics feel bored at social gatherings, too.