Notices

Have you ever made the local papers because of your drinking

Old 02-19-2022, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you ever made the local papers because of your drinking

I did recently. My dad photocopied it at work and showed it to me. I tried typing (freedom fries town) into Google news and nothing comes up so at least it doesn't seem to be online.

Still, pretty embarrassing. The article isn't too salacious. Pretty just says the judge advises me to stop drinking. The police didn't mention my 28 arrests at court at the behest of my solicitor, so it could potentially have been a saucy article if they did.

If I end up in court again they will mention my arrest record that will be a more humiliating news article. So good motivation to stay sober. Day 4.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't but I've had friends who have. Including one who climbed on top of the roof of a shop while high as a kite from a combination of drink and drugs and threatened to jump. It turned into a three hour stand-off between himself and the police and caused the whole of the shopping centre to be cordoned off. Eventually a police negotiator was called in and he was talked down. And promptly arrested. It made the front page of the local paper the next day. It was avialable to read online for a number of years afterwards but a quick Google isn't turning up anything this morning so presumably the links to the story have been removed at some point.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh that's terrible for your friend. I had my share of drug induced psychosis when I was younger. Once I tried to repeatedly break into a police van because I was convinced it contained a lioness who was meant to eat me, but mercifully I just ended up in the psych ward and not the papers.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't FF but I always think had I still been drinking in this modern age of cell phones etc I would probably end up on FB or Reddit or somewhere.

The good news is you absolutely have it in your power to make sure you never get in to the papers like this again,

D
Old 02-21-2022, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm thankful that my heavy drinking days occurred before cell phone cameras and social media were common.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have, 3 times. In my town they put every arrest in the paper, no matter what it's for. I had 3 DUI's over the course for 13 years (two of them were less than 2 years apart, the last one being the last day I allowed alcohol to cross my lips over 7 years ago).There's no way to keep that stuff out of the paper, I tried on the first DUI. They call it the Police Beat. It's the first thing most people look at when they open up the paper. So, anyone who read the paper knew about my DUI's. Small town, word gets around fast, so even people who didn't read the paper knew. After I got that third DUI, then quit drinking and started showing my face again and told people I had hung up the alcohol, a common response was along the lines of "it's about time." I will never allow myself to go through that sort of public humiliation again.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, but I will eventually for my obituary.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No, Freedom, I have not. But only because of good luck, not good management.

I'd like to see you make the Success Stories section of SR. It would make great reading.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Not personally no, but here they do post a lot of drug and alcohol related arrests so it's not uncommon to see a lot. Mostly drugs here as we have a bit of a meth crisis right now.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so happy to know you're on Day 5 today. You sound so much better, FF.

(No - my DUI didn't make the papers.)