Notices

Perhaps I have an odd sense of humor(AA related)

Old 02-17-2022, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perhaps I have an odd sense of humor(AA related)

I'm not sure what the correct term is, but I have always thought it was kinda funny that the very first question at an AA meeting is about not embarrassing anyone, but does anyone have a problem with alcohol? If the person states they do, they have all eyes on them and could feel embarrassed about the situation.

I needed to get that out.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

That's not what we do at our meetings. Can you try a different meeting that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable?
Old 02-17-2022, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Actually, I guess we do ask newcomers to identify themselves. One way to avoid this on Zoom meetings of larger groups is to show up late.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is this a problem?
Old 02-17-2022, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never heard that in the meetings I went too, mind you it wouldn't worry me, think I've embarrased myself countless times before with booze, but if that meeting isn't for you try another one 👍
Old 02-17-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not a problem at all, just a general observation which I found funny, that's all. No bother to me at all.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As serious as AA and recovering from drinking is, I have always found some of the things that go on in some of those meetings pretty funny but I do have a strange kind of humor sometimes. No offense to anyone. I found that sharing what I think was funny isn't a good idea. Laughing (quietly) at something can lead to a lot of unfriendly stares. Getting sober is a serious thing. But I never understood why a little lighthearted laughter is a bad thing. Just me I guess. John
Old 02-18-2022, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found the "Introduce yourself" thing to be very uncomfortable. My choice at meetings would be to not speak at all, but I guess they don't want anyone to slip through the cracks who might be desperately in search of connection or who might need to talk.

The good thing is that Everything is Optional in AA meetings, so no need to say anything at all if you don't want to.