Notices

Smoking

Old 02-16-2022, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoking

101 days without drinking! I can’t believe it! I feel good most days but when I get tired, I’ve pinpointed the culprit. Cigarettes!! At the end of my drinking, I only smoked when I drank, but I drank almost every night. I never smoked during the day. And the one or two off days I didn’t drink, I didn’t smoke. Previous to that, in my teens and early twenties, I smoked daily. In fact, I started smoking cigarettes and pot before I drank. I only started drinking after I quit pot, due to a custody battle. I did 60 days sober in August Thru September and I didn’t smoke at all. But when I relapsed and in October and quit again in November, I decided I needed to “do” something, so I started smoking again during the day. I probably smoke no more than 6-7 a day. But when I do, I feel like crap. Ugh, not sure where to go from here! I finally decided to clean up my diet starting today, and tracking all my food intake. But I’ve got to do something about the smoking!
Old 02-16-2022, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, those dirty cigs definitely zap our strength. I LOVED smoking. More than drinking and it was really hard to give up. But so many of my health issues and stamina issues really improved and I know it was due in part to refraining from voluntarily inhaling black particles into my lungs. I hope you can quit Jillian.

I am not promoting smoking at all, but just for now, if cigs help you stay away from alcohol, you don't have to quit THIS very minute.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the mistakes I made was trying to quit drinking and smoking at the same time, it never worked, so for now I am still smoking, I would like to give the filthy habit up, but for me it has to be one thing at à time because otherwise I will crash and burn like the many times before, good luck with whatever you choose that's right for you though. 👍
Old 02-16-2022, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What have you tried so far to quit smoking Jillian?
Old 02-16-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Organic tobacco leafs and roll your own.. it's easier to taper down and quit that way, and you don't get the poison stuff from the packaged cigs
Old 02-16-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 101 days!

I only smoked when I drank and quit both at once.
We also have a smoking forum and a quit thread if it’s of any interest to you Jillian

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-14-a-8.html (24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club ~ Part 14).

D

Old 02-16-2022, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never smoked, so can't offer any input.
Just wanted to say congratulations on 101 days!
Old 02-16-2022, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First of all, congratulations on 101 days!

I know lots of recovering alcoholics/addicts who smoke. When I was in rehab, I was one of very few who didn't, even though I also smoked off and on for many years. Fortunately, I never got hooked on nicotine. Like you, I usually felt horrible after smoking, so it was pretty dumb to keep doing it. I think the fact that you're drawing attention to it is an important step in doing something about it. Some people say it's still better than getting drunk. Maybe, but it's also deadly and negatively affects your health.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I first tried cigarettes and pot at 9 years old. Cigarettes got pretty routine around 11, 12 years old and pot by like 13.

It was the 80s you could by them from a machine, steal them off the shelves (before everything was always behind counters) or just buy them and worst case say your mom or dad sent you for smokes. Simpler times.

I smoked for nearly 3 decades and at the end of this summer I am wrapping up my first decade of vaping. Anytime I try and take a drag off a cigarette I don't know how I use to do it. Its so harsh and nasty now, how did I tolerate that at 9 years old? After vaping I could not believe the difference in how clean my breathing has felt. My sinuses feel much smoother, if that makes any sense. I enjoy vaping without guilt and I just don't care what people think about it. Its nicotine but I don't care. Smoking compared to vaping is like the steam off a shower compared to lighting a camp fire in your living room.

I hate to think where I would be if I smoked another 10 years. Fortunately i do not listen to government or the legacy media. I only buy reputable products from reputable vape shops. No cheap gas station or convenience store, juul type garage!
Old 02-17-2022, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I quit smoking in 1987. If I can do it, ANYBODY can.

you can.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

101!!! That's awesome, Jillian.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on 101 days!
Giving up smoking isn't nearly as difficult as giving up the booze - you'll get there.
I gave up smoking in 2016 I was still drinking heavily at that point - I had just moved back to the UK from Berlin and couldn't smoke in the house I'd moved into - and the price of cigarettes in the UK is out if control - so I decided I was over it.
You'll decide you're over it too.
I have smoked since - but its not the same.
it's actually disgusting.
I wish I felt that way about booze and was 101 days in like you.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
Well done on 101 days!
Giving up smoking isn't nearly as difficult as giving up the booze - you'll get there.
I gave up smoking in 2016 I was still drinking heavily at that point - I had just moved back to the UK from Berlin and couldn't smoke in the house I'd moved into - and the price of cigarettes in the UK is out if control - so I decided I was over it.
You'll decide you're over it too.
I have smoked since - but its not the same.
it's actually disgusting.
I wish I felt that way about booze and was 101 days in like you.

Congrats on quitting smoking! Keep trying with the booze. I had been trying to quit drinking since 2012; I finally had enough last year.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian,

Way to go on 101 days sober. Just keep taking it one day at a time.